December 11, 2018, 03:44:20 AM

Author Topic: Too little, too late, but at least...  (Read 446 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Too little, too late, but at least...
« on: October 02, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
... finally some honesty from the league.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
 From @NFLGameDay: Competition Committee members expect roughing the passer penalties to decrease, while noting the Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins was not thought to be a foul. Story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000967506/article/competition-committee-believes-roughing-penalties-will-decrease … ... Video 👇🏼

9:23 AM - Sep 30, 2018
318 people are talking about this
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Too little, too late, but at least...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
... finally some honesty from the league.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
 From @NFLGameDay: Competition Committee members expect roughing the passer penalties to decrease, while noting the Clay Matthews hit on Kirk Cousins was not thought to be a foul. Story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000967506/article/competition-committee-believes-roughing-penalties-will-decrease … ... Video 👇🏼

9:23 AM - Sep 30, 2018
318 people are talking about this

Once the league heard the thunder of protest from across the spectrum- from their own announcers to the regular gans, and even the league's QB's themselves- they finally acted. Will there be an apology or real admission of making mistakes? Doubtful. And what would be the point? We all know the league overreacted. What we need to do is maintain our cool IF Rodgers is hurt on a hard sack. Same thing with every fan of other teams. After watching this last weekend's games, it is apparent that the league has gone back to the pre-Rodgers injury "roughing" standard.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
It's too bad that Green Bay ended up on the wrong side of the stick in such a critical situation. Hopefully it doesn't impact potential playoff seeding. You have to wonder how far did the impact of that play go? It was a hot and humid day and that game got extended as far as it can go. Those two teams fought hard and went on to play like complete crap the following week. Can't help but wonder if the let downs both teams faced, as well as the physical toll, carried over into the next week's losses.

It still irks me that the hit on Cousins consisted of Matthews clearly and without a doubt, putting his arm out to take the weight off the QB (just like instructed). Yet the NFL had the gall to say it was going to be used in a teaching video as an example of what a penalty is. Now the competition committee says it wasn't a penalty? OK then I guess...

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 09:42:38 PM »
It's too bad that Green Bay ended up on the wrong side of the stick in such a critical situation. Hopefully it doesn't impact potential playoff seeding. You have to wonder how far did the impact of that play go? It was a hot and humid day and that game got extended as far as it can go. Those two teams fought hard and went on to play like complete crap the following week. Can't help but wonder if the let downs both teams faced, as well as the physical toll, carried over into the next week's losses.

It still irks me that the hit on Cousins consisted of Matthews clearly and without a doubt, putting his arm out to take the weight off the QB (just like instructed). Yet the NFL had the gall to say it was going to be used in a teaching video as an example of what a penalty is. Now the competition committee says it wasn't a penalty? OK then I guess...

Blown calls always affect playoff seeding. They turn the tide in a division, in a conference, and in schedule strength, etc. The leagues worst nightmare happened when the fail mary took place, that had a direct impact on a tight NFC race that year. No doubt the minny play will have a swing in the factor of who makes the wild card slots this year. Heck even the redskins game was up in the air until they blew that call and deflated the Packers defense.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."