December 13, 2018, 10:50:46 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Niners v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 1737 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Niners v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: October 10, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
There are no more "gimme" games for the Packers. Every game is going to be challenging, no matter where it's played, or what the opponent's record is. The Packers have consistently fallen behind in the first half of games, then had to try to pull victory from the jaws of defeat with comebacks. It worked one and a half times. It's failed twice. This is a team that lacks an identity, a QB that is clearly not under the control of the HC, and seemingly doesn't see its best RB as worthy of playing more than a handful of snaps during a game. Losing this game would be devastating. They are going into a bye week, and the second half of the schedule gets a lot more challenging. Can they turn things around? Yes. Will they? Stay tuned. But, never give up hope, even when things look grim indeed.

I don't know this guy, and I disagree with some of his points, but I like his attitude:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-pawsitivity-the-early-storm-can-be-weathered-212

A personal note: thank you, LMG for your patience in moving this thread to the correct "Child Board". I'll be sure to put it here in the future.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:47:14 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Niners v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »
Read this article earlier today................

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/10/packers-wr-davante-adams-dominated-from-slot-vs-lions/

Adams got A LOT of his production out of the Slot on Sunday.

I wonder if we will see more of that going forward, and does that mean more playing time for MVS and ESB even after Cobb comes back?

And what does that mean for Cobb, if Adams is that crazy productive in the Slot?

Back in May, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said the Packers would be giving Adams more opportunities from the slot, believing a big, quick receiver would be difficult to cover given the entire field to operate. It’s a strong strategy that often worked to free up Jordy Nelson for big plays.

Sorry...............couldn't resist.  hatsoff)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:35:10 PM »
I'll be at the game on Monday night. Dont think I'll be on here much (probably to the delight of some), but if I see something first hand that's under much scrutiny or debate I may be able to give a real time perspective.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
Given the strength of the NFC, and the North, the Packers need to realistically go 8-3 down the stretch to have a shot at making it into the playoffs.  And, given the remaining games in the schedule, that’s a tall task - but certainly possible.  It starts with a win at home on Monday night.  That said, if the Packers and Rodgers backs weren’t against the wall the first five games, they’re at least leaning sideways heavily against the wall, especially after the bye.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the Packers play as a team monday night. Under MM the Packers have played some head scratchingly bad games going into their bye weeks. Hopefully as a team they feel the need to win this one is more important than heading off on vacation somewhere.

Packers vs. 49ers:

Regular season, all-time: 31-27-1
All-time postseason: 4-3
All-time, in Green Bay: 13-6 (includes 2-1 in postseason)

I would be happy with any win this week, just hoping they don't lay the colossal egg come monday.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
Well...................that would make it 2 weeks in a row.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
They will take care of the 49's.  Not to worry.  If the Pack dumps this game I'll be shocked.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
Given the strength of the NFC, and the North, the Packers need to realistically go 8-3 down the stretch to have a shot at making it into the playoffs.  And, given the remaining games in the schedule, that’s a tall task - but certainly possible.  It starts with a win at home on Monday night.  That said, if the Packers and Rodgers backs weren’t against the wall the first five games, they’re at least leaning sideways heavily against the wall, especially after the bye.

I agree with this and I think 8-3 in probably the right numbers. The Patriots game with the Packers playing on the west coast the week before is a lot to ask to over come. The thursday night trip to Seattle is on a short week is also a hugh hurdle to over come. A third lose may well be at the hands of the Bears or the Vikings. Could see both the Packers and the Vikings ending the year at 10-5-1 and the Bears 10-6 meaning the winner of the Packers-Vikings game would be the North champion.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
I'll be at the game on Monday night. Dont think I'll be on here much (probably to the delight of some), but if I see something first hand that's under much scrutiny or debate I may be able to give a real time perspective.

I never have much luck with getting service inside the stadium during games. Hopefully you have better luck. The new sponsorship with US Cellular is supposed to improve things and provide WiFi, but it's still a tall task with that many people in one spot. Enjoy the game. Should be perfect football weather!

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »

I agree with this and I think 8-3 in probably the right numbers. The Patriots game with the Packers playing on the west coast the week before is a lot to ask to over come. The thursday night trip to Seattle is on a short week is also a hugh hurdle to over come. A third lose may well be at the hands of the Bears or the Vikings. Could see both the Packers and the Vikings ending the year at 10-5-1 and the Bears 10-6 meaning the winner of the Packers-Vikings game would be the North champion.
That’s how I’m seeing this play out also.  A good test from here on out.  10-5-1 doesn’t guarantee them a playoff spot, but it’s possible, and they’d almost certainly miss the playoffs at 9-6-1.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »

I never have much luck with getting service inside the stadium during games. Hopefully you have better luck. The new sponsorship with US Cellular is supposed to improve things and provide WiFi, but it's still a tall task with that many people in one spot. Enjoy the game. Should be perfect football weather!

Thank you so much for the info. I'll test out my connection first thing.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »
Back in May, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said the Packers would be giving Adams more opportunities from the slot, believing a big, quick receiver would be difficult to cover given the entire field to operate. It’s a strong strategy that often worked to free up Jordy Nelson for big plays.

Sorry...............couldn't resist.  hatsoff)

So, how much better would the Packers record be if Nelson was still on the team? If your rcomment was written jokingly, then please disregard.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
As per team tradition, the Packers select game captains each week. Today's captains will be QB Aaron Rodgers (offense), LB Nick Perry (defense) and LB Antonio Morrison (special teams).

Hours from kickoff now and I do expect that the offense and defense will both come to play tonight. Just get the win and head to the off week with the Bears, Vikings and Packers all sitting with 3 wins.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Packers’ WRs Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison are “likely to be inactive” vs 49ers tonight on Monday Night Football.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 01:38:25 PM »
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Packers’ WRs Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison are “likely to be inactive” vs 49ers tonight on Monday Night Football.

Out of curiousity, does the development of the younger WR's mean that Cobb, in particular, is less likely to be offered another big contract next year? Because if Rodgers gets more comfortable with the younger guys...