November 15, 2018, 11:55:23 PM

Author Topic: Twelve steps to fix the Packers  (Read 1341 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Twelve steps to fix the Packers
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
Thank you for confirming everything I said. This is a perfect example of the kind of complacency among certain Packer fans who always parrot McCarthy's excuses for why the team underperforms every year. Celebrating making the playoffs each year is for losers like the Vikings. The Packers like to pretend they're an elite franchise that is a legitimate contender every year like the Patriots or Steelers. In reality, they're a one-dimensional team (all offense, no defense) with a one-dimensional offense. Pretty much Marino's Dolphins of the 21st century. But you're more than happy to waste the latter half of Rodgers' career just like Favre's was as long as no one criticizes the organization.

Yes, it's all Thompson's fault for drafting in the high 20s every year. If we had had a few picks in the top 10, like MN and Chi, we would be in much better shape. But did Thompson get us a high pick? No. Never. I mean, seriously, how long has it been since we drafted in the top 3? It's just inexcusable how complacent they were about accepting low draft picks every single year.

Team like the Steelers, Patriots, Vikings, Seahawks, and a few others typically pick near the backend, yet still are always in the Hunt. It's not where you pick, its who you pick. It's also using other avenues to build the team. I liked Gutes off season, the only two problems I had were passing on Edmund's in the draft, and not going after Mack with everything. Mack could literally have been the difference between our record now, and undefeated. He is that good, and he is a leader. I am curious as to how they are going to approach this coming off season with so many needs after burning two more top picks on defensive backs in 4 years? And top picks on defense for how long? It's going to be a tall order.

They need some help at OL and TE from the draft. They have young talent developing at WR and RB.

But otherwise, you can devote a big chunk of your draft to defense.

Also have to consider how Gute's next Free Agency go-around will impact the draft strategy.

With TT, you knew there was going to be nothing in FA, Gute has a different viewpoint.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
Thank you for confirming everything I said. This is a perfect example of the kind of complacency among certain Packer fans who always parrot McCarthy's excuses for why the team underperforms every year. Celebrating making the playoffs each year is for losers like the Vikings. The Packers like to pretend they're an elite franchise that is a legitimate contender every year like the Patriots or Steelers. In reality, they're a one-dimensional team (all offense, no defense) with a one-dimensional offense. Pretty much Marino's Dolphins of the 21st century. But you're more than happy to waste the latter half of Rodgers' career just like Favre's was as long as no one criticizes the organization.

Yes, it's all Thompson's fault for drafting in the high 20s every year. If we had had a few picks in the top 10, like MN and Chi, we would be in much better shape. But did Thompson get us a high pick? No. Never. I mean, seriously, how long has it been since we drafted in the top 3? It's just inexcusable how complacent they were about accepting low draft picks every single year.

Team like the Steelers, Patriots, Vikings, Seahawks, and a few others typically pick near the backend, yet still are always in the Hunt. It's not where you pick, its who you pick. It's also using other avenues to build the team. I liked Gutes off season, the only two problems I had were passing on Edmund's in the draft, and not going after Mack with everything. Mack could literally have been the difference between our record now, and undefeated. He is that good, and he is a leader. I am curious as to how they are going to approach this coming off season with so many needs after burning two more top picks on defensive backs in 4 years? And top picks on defense for how long? It's going to be a tall order.

They need some help at OL and TE from the draft. They have young talent developing at WR and RB.

But otherwise, you can devote a big chunk of your draft to defense.

Also have to consider how Gute's next Free Agency go-around will impact the draft strategy.

With TT, you knew there was going to be nothing in FA, Gute has a different viewpoint.

I'll agree they need OL help, but at TE they have Graham for two more years, a young Tonyan who appears to be a rising athlete, and Kendricks and Lewis.... speaking of, the fact they haven't been using both Graham and Lewis on the field to open up the offense speaks to the inadequacy of the coaching staff.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »

Hu?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Aaron Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler
Follow Follow @AaronNagler
More Aaron Nagler Retweeted Greg in Wicker Park
If you told me growing up that I'd get to see the Packers win two Super Bowls in my lifetime, I would have cried real tears of joy. This "disappointment" idea will always be dumb to me.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
Aaron Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler
If you told me growing up that I'd get to see the Packers win two Super Bowls in my lifetime, I would have cried real tears of joy. This "disappointment" idea will always be dumb to me.

Lol its Nagler, I wouldnt taken his words with any value in opinion statements.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
Aaron Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler

I certainly wouldn't over value his opinion either. However, perhaps he has a point.

Twelve (12) teams, the Bengals, Bills, Browns, Cardinals, Chargers, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Panthers, Texans, Titans and Vikings have not won a Super Bowl in their history. The Browns, Jaguars, Lions and Texans have never even reached the Super Bowl.

Another Nine (9) the Jets, Chiefs, Bears, Rams, Ravens, Buccaneers, Saints, Seahawks and Eagles have each only won one.

While no team has ever won three straight Super Bowls, the Green Bay Packers won the first two Super Bowls, and also won the NFL championship the preceding year. The only team to accomplish the three-peat.

I feel blessed that my club leads the way with 13 NFL Championships (by a sizable margin). And as for Super Bowls: the Pittsburgh Steelers have won six Super Bowls, the most of any team; the Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers have five victories each, while the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants have four Super Bowl championships

Maybe Aaron has a point in his opinion that maybe worth considering.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
Aaron Nagler

Verified account

@AaronNagler

Nagler's an idiot. Considering Ron Wolf was disappointed they only won once with Favre and White, maybe Nagler isn't smart enough to understand the idea in the first place.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
I am not a big Nagler fan, but he is far from an idiot.

Of course Wolf was disappointed, so is everyone else when they don't achieve their ultimate goal each season. But the fact is Wolf and the Packers only won one with Favre and White.

Just as it is a fact that 12 teams have never won a Super Bowl and 9 others have only won one.

Nagler feels blessed to have seen the Packers win two in his lifetime as a fan. That does not mean he does not want more

I feel blessed to have seen them win NFL championships in 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 2010, and I would like and hope to see more. Does that make me an idiot too?

Some people live their lives without enjoying and honoring their blessing. It is their choice, but I sure don't chose to live my life that way.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:47:27 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi