December 10, 2018, 07:14:25 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Rams Game Day Thread  (Read 1006 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Rams Game Day Thread
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
Is the beginning of the surge, or the beginning of the end? We'll find out in the next five games. Because this stretch will make or break this season for the Packers. On paper, this game shouldn't be close. The Rams should win handily, by at least a couple of TDs. But then again, there were a lot of Packers pundits who thought the team would be 5-1 at the bye week. The Vikes were heavily favored over the Bills. The Pats were heavily favored over the Lions. Its why they play the games. Although not optimistic, giving up isn't an option. If the Packers, from the coaches to every special teams player can refocus and get ready for the second half of the season, then this could be start of a "run the table" movement. If not, buckle up, because there will be major changes this offseason, and not just on the coaching staff. The clock is ticking, and now is the time to put it all on the line.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Rams Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Hoping for the upset, but I think Aaron Donald is going to be in Rodgers chili all day.  Need to do a lot of quick stuff.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:26 AM »
The NFL is a case of not who you play, but when you play them. What is amazing is that this has been the case for going on 30 years now and a good percentage of the population still hasn't figured that out. Maybe it is because the Packers are usually the favorites and are the ones who get upset? Remember the 0-10 Colts beating the Super Bowl bound Packers? How about a 13-0 Packers team beaten by a sub-500 Chiefs team that was in total disarray. The talent level differences from team to team are slighter than most fans understand and when one team is more motivated than the other the outcome is usually fairly predictable.

The Packers under MM, year in and year out, play awful going into the bye and that is why I was happy with any win last week no matter how ugly some may believe it was. It was beauiful to me. But the first game out of the bye historically has been a different story under MM, those games usually have been some of his teams best. I expect the Packers to play very well against the Rams, infact I expect them to win. Yes the Rams are 7-0, but everything has fallen their way so far. Only 2 of the 7 wins against winning teams and both of those at home against a disadvantaged foes timing wise. Vikings had to travel across the country for a thursday game, big advantage Rams and a 7 point win. Next two games after the Vikings were a 2 point win against the Seahawks and a 3 point win against the Broncos. They are not the juggernaut that people are making them out to be, they are very beatable. In the NFL it is not who you play, but when you play them.     

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
Packers vs. Rams:

Regular season, all-time: 45-45-2

Total points all-time regular season: Rams 2105 - Packers 2094

Streaks: The Packers have won each of the last five regular season meetings.

All-time postseason: 1-1

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »
The Packers coaching staff will have had an extra week to prepare for this game, while also scouting the gauntlet ahead of them. The Rams record is what it is- they are undefeated, whether overwhelming a team or just sneaking by. Doesn't matter. A win by 20 counts the same as a win by one. Are the Rams susceptible at this time? They seem to be pretty healthy, and have an innovative offensive minded coach. The defense is led by Wade Phillips, and if you'll recall, the last time the Packers played a team with a Phillips led defense, they were embarrassed by Denver. Phillips knows how to make Rodgers uncomfortable, and that could lead to a lopsided loss. Or, the Packers coaching staff will look at the tendencies of Phillips and find ways to exploit weaknesses. We'll see.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »
Agree ricky that a team is what their record is and the Rams are 7-0, nothing changes that. But them being 7-0 doesn't help them against the Packers this week, infact it probably hurts them. Some fans may be soiling themselves over the Rams game, but can assure you no one in the Packers locker room is. Seldom during the course of the season does all 53 on a team get jacked to play someone during the regular season, but that is the case for the Packers this week. While the Rams are cruising on EZ street the Packers have a rested, healthy and motivated team who finally has some urgency to them and chumping at the bit to get the chance to play the last undefeated team.

As for Phillips and his work against Rodgers, you may want to dig a little deeper than one game. Lets look at the games before the Denver game. The game before that Rodgers and the Packers in 2012 faced off against Phillips and his top ranked Texans defense to the tone of a 42-24 *ss kickin. A game that Rodger threw for 338 yards and 6 TD's, along with a 133.8 passer rating. Or maybe the game before that in 2010 when the Packers defeated the Cowboys 45-7 and Rodgers was 27-34 (79.4) with 289 yards and 3 TD's and 131.5 passer rating. Don't believe that Rodgers is losing any sleep over the fear of a Phillips lead defense, now Phillips he may be losing some sleep this week.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
Just read this and really liked the mix of optimism and analysis. Are the Rams good? Absolutely. Are they unbeatable Sunday? Absolutely not.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/opponent-by-the-numbers-los-angeles-rams-week-8-556

Two quotations in particular interested me, one on negativity, and one on how the Rams do against better QB's. First, negativity:

Besides, what’s the point of being a fan if the experience produces only defeatist negativity? I’m not advocating for ignorant confidence, either, but the experience should be fun, right? That’s the point, yes? After all, rooting for a team and subjecting oneself to the ups and downs of a professional sports club is a hobby and a choice, so why choose to do it in constant misery? Why focus exclusively on the negatives?

Next, the QB's they've faced:

The Rams’ defense has the third-highest coverage score overall, but the defense has been noticeably leakier against more prolific quarterbacks and better passing attacks. In games against Derek Carr, Sam Bradford, Case Keenum and C.J. Beathard (OAK, ARI, DEN, SF), the Rams have allowed an average of 10.8 points per game and a coverage rating of 78.8. By contrast, in games against Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins and Russell Wilson (LAC, MIN, SEA), they’ve allowed 28.3 points per game and an average coverage rating of 60.2.

Rodgers is better than any of the QB's the Rams have faced, and if he gets hot, look out. Also, being Between 8-10 point underdogs is going to rankle this team, hopefully big time. As the game gets closer, I'm getting more excited, and looking forward to a big Packers upset. The first of several, hopefully, until they're not upsets if they win, but only if they lose.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
Todays inactives.

Green Bay Packers

8 QB Tim Boyle
26 CB Bashaud Breeland
28 CB Tony Brown
56 LB Korey Toomer
64 G Justin McCray
70 T/G Alex Light
82 WR J'Mon Moore

Los Angeles Rams

18 WR Cooper Kupp
31 DB Darious Williams
33 RB Justin Davis
42 RB John Kelly
49 OLB Trevon Young
69 DT Sebastian Joseph-Day
82 TE Johnny Mundt

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
The unofficial Packers vs Rams game day thread.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »
Games about to start. I'm very curious about the game plan, and will be watching for adjustments. Godspeed in your viewing.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
Re: The unofficial Packers vs Rams game day thread.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
Nice stop by the D in the first quarter.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Color me pleasantly surprised on this game so far. Even though we abandoned the run game early for some reason.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
I love that Rodgers is under center a lot so far.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
Where is everybody today?

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
I'm at the ER lol

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
I guess Aaron Jones is done for the day LOL