November 15, 2018, 11:34:43 PM

Author Topic: Packers @ Rams: Good, bad ugly.  (Read 735 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Packers @ Rams: Good, bad ugly.
« on: October 28, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
Good:

Defense was hugely improved. The Rams are averaging like 35 points, we held them.

Bad:

Too many pass plays.

Ugly:

In a year when McCarthy thought he had the best team in football, we lost a trip to the SB because of ST play.
We've lost probably a dozen games due to ST play.
And we lost today because of ST play.

Does Jesus have to hand deliver the note to McCarthy? The one that reads, "Special Teams Matter."
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
Re: Packers @ Rams: Good, bad ugly.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
Don't forget McCarthy's playcalling leading to a safety and TD putting the Rams back in the game at the end of the first half. They're lacking in just about every area in a year when they were supposed to be Super Bowl contenders. The reality of what this team is, and has been for some time now, is far different from what the organization says and believes it is.

Online SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »
 Good - Should have won against the NFC super-roster. Our defense showed they can get off the field. Alexander, Clark, Martinez and CMIII all had big games. The team has promise and playoff spots are still wide open.

Bad - Looks like there are still communication issues on offense with routes, even though we just played one of the best defenses and almost won. Hopefully Rodgers can get fully healthy soon and practice full time to iron that out. Need to sustain drives to help the defense.

Ugly - Tough loss. Super Bowl teams don't make those kinds of mistakes on special teams.

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
The good:

Jaire Alexander
Aaron Jones

The bad:

That Aaron Jones only got 12 carries

The ugly:

That Ron Zook didn't (presumably) tell Montgomery not to return the kick.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
Good - Alexander and King. Played very well against good receivers. Goff isnt a superstar and he was off, but they broke up some good passes to good receivers.

Bad - playcalling. Jones was running great, but after he lot up the first drive, he was used sparingly. This all fits some info I was given by someone who knows an insider. MM does not like Jones, but has to play him a little to keep their best RB in the mix in order to not get crucified.

Ugly - Game management. Again, MM decided to help the opposition. Our last possession, when he opened the possession with a pass instead of running, he allowed that all star defensive line to make an impact. And it cost the packers the opportunity to ice the game and also gave the rams life. He is the worst game manager in the league. Why not open with a run with a guy who was getting over 5 a carry? Get the clock going, make the defense guess. Nope, MM chose to out-idiot himself again. Let's not even get into helping the rams with that safety, putting in a heavy set with on receiver and a team on the line. Allow the defense to stack the box and sell out. Way to go.

Obvious - money wins games. Ask the rams, and the Vikings, and the saints, and all to teams who somehow constantly sign superstars and bring in talent at all levels. Our money ball experiment should be over, and we need to quit overpaying underwhelming players just because we drafted them. Praying for a real change. Gute did a decent job this offseason, but he needs to go all out. Rodgers doesnt have a decade left for them to dance around with. Get it done.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online BIG LEGEND

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
McCarthy's presser makes it pretty GD clear what Montgomery was supposed to do on that kickoff, he knew and brought it out anyway - inexcusable under the circumstances and he gets no sympathy - none. This is the bad, we could list a few other things here, but nothing else comes even close. This is also the ugly - lol.

The Good - Jones is a very talented runner, with great instincts and explosion. Not as fast as Annan Green or quite as powefful, but just as quick and more instinctive. This kid should touch the ball 20-25 times per game - wishful thinking I know. KC, BM and the young corners played at a very high leve!

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:22:55 PM »
McCarthy's presser makes it pretty GD clear what Montgomery was supposed to do on that kickoff, he knew and brought it out anyway - inexcusable under the circumstances and he gets no sympathy - none. This is the bad, we could list a few other things here, but nothing else comes even close. This is also the ugly - lol.

I didn't see MM's presser. But I did read this quote from it:

"Well, you look at that last situation, the plan is to stay in the end zone,” head coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. “I think we all realize with the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there, we wanted to be north of the two minutes with the one timeout.”

Nowhere in that quite dies it say he told Montgomery to not return it. It just says "we all realize".

Again, I didn't see the presser. If there was another statement where he said someone told Montgomery not to return it, I stand corrected.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:58 AM »
The full quote from McCarthy makes it clearer they discussed not bringing it out: “Obviously the plan there is to stay in the end zone,” McCarthy said. “Two minute. We actually talked about it as a team. . . .But that’s what those games come down to. There are decisions. Ty is in that decision situation. I’m sure Ty was trying to make a play. I don’t know exactly how deep he was, if he was close, but I think we all realize that with the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there — I wanted to be north of two minutes with the one timeout — we want to put the ball in Aaron’s hands. You also trust your players. Tough decisions. Close decisions. I think Ty was just trying to make a play.” https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/28/ty-montgomery-told-to-take-touchback-if-it-was-option/

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:25:55 AM »
Good:

Jaire Alexander - Every time you saw him he was batting down a pass
Aaron Jones - Needs the ball more!

Bad:

Now head to New England in what really is a must win game.

Jones runs the ball well in the first quarter, then he disappears. Thanks Mike!

Ugly:

Special Teams - Namely the kick return at the end, but Scott didn't punt all that great either. Lets not forget the fake punt LA pulled off. When was the last game we had a return TD, just always take the touchback...

Ty Montgomery - Why take that ball out? Also, thought he was supposed to be a good pass blocker, twice he let two guys go right through our line to hit Aaron.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »
Defense came to play, receivers came to play, o line and ST, should have stayed in Green Bay.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:34:16 AM »

"Well, you look at that last situation, the plan is to stay in the end zone,” head coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. “I think we all realize with the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there, we wanted to be north of the two minutes with the one timeout.”

Nowhere in that quite dies it say he told Montgomery to not return it. It just says "we all realize".

Again, I didn't see the presser. If there was another statement where he said someone told Montgomery not to return it, I stand corrected.

Enough with "Montgomery should have been told" already. This was basic football knowledge. Returning the ball from several yards deep in the end zone in that situation was inexcusable. If Montgomery is that dumb, that clueless, that inept, he should be on the waiver wire this afternoon. This play rivals Bostick ignoring his role as a blocker and trying to make catch the onside kick in the Seattle game. The team needs to be reminded that stupidity and lack of awareness have consequences. This rivals "Don't drive impaired" as something that should be obvious, rahter than trying to find excuses for stupid behavior.

MEanwhile, the ST's played very well in the game, with the exception of Montgomery's exceedingly stupid INDIVIDUAL decision.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »
Good

Defense - Alexander had a hell of a game!  Reminds me of Willie Buchanon, only faster!  Great Instincts!  Clark is a beast!!!
               Martinez played well except on one pass play, fortunately, the drive led to nothing, another Rams Punt. 
               I look forward to them against PATS, should be a good game.  It's tough traveling from one side of the US to the other!

Bad

Use of Tight Ends - Threw to them a couple of times.  Would've been nice to have Lewis in their too as a run blocker plus a decoy, especially at the 1 foot line.
Defense players - Is Perry Hurt, saw him out there, didn't see any plays from him.
Again, Defensive lineman and linebackers, use your hands to knock down passes!!!!!!  Several balls were thrown 6" above their heads, this isn't rocket science and Pettine needs to teach them some geometry!!!!!  You'll see the same thing with Brady!               

Ugly

Coaching  What was the score?  29-27  Remember that two point safety?  Who calls a 1 yd dive, when you should've given the option to Rodgers to roll out and throw to someone on the next three plays.  LA had eight men in the box.  They knew what was coming, too bad Rodgers didn't audible and let one fly!    Secondly, special teams had a crappy day.  What the hell was Montgomery thinking>  I wanted him traded before the season.  We might have gotten a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him.  We'll be lucky to get a 6th rd pick now.  I don't completely blame him, I blame Zook for this.  This should've been emphasized in game situations in pre-season!  Packers win if he doesn't fumble pure and simple.  Third, going back to that punt on the 1 yd line, why didn't McCarthy throw the flag to challenge the call?  Ex-Packer toe touched the goal line!  Fourth, the fake punt, even though it didn't lead to anything except another punt, why do we only put one guy out there on a gunner when in previous games we had use two?  Why would you change your strategy ,especially when the punter has throw for several fakes before this!  If we lose two more McCarthy is gone, I don't care what anyone on this board says!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »

Enough with "Montgomery should have been told" already. This was basic football knowledge. Returning the ball from several yards deep in the end zone in that situation was inexcusable. If Montgomery is that dumb, that clueless, that inept, he should be on the waiver wire this afternoon. This play rivals Bostick ignoring his role as a blocker and trying to make catch the onside kick in the Seattle game. The team needs to be reminded that stupidity and lack of awareness have consequences. This rivals "Don't drive impaired" as something that should be obvious, rahter than trying to find excuses for stupid behavior.

MEanwhile, the ST's played very well in the game, with the exception of Montgomery's exceedingly stupid INDIVIDUAL decision.

He was only a few yards deep.  It wasn't a deep kick off.  Regardless if you can take a knee do it regardless.  Get the ball on the 25.  With the rule change no player should ever return it out of the end zone at any time.  Guys keep saying the ball was deep in the end zone that was not the case.  Maybe 2 yards deep.  What I saw anyway.  Monty wan't wearing his thinking cap.  Special teams coach should instruct these guys.  Ball in the end zone take a knee period. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow Follow @RobDemovsky
More
Ty Montgomery declined to talk on his way out of the locker room, but Mike McCarthy said the plan was to have him take the touchback. Either way, Montgomery's fumble prevented the Packers from the shot at a game-winning drive.

This is a little disappointing to me. When the Baltimore kicker missed the game tying XP at the end of the Saints game he asked if could adddress the whole of the media. He was accountable for his error, yet Montgomery runs away from it.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
I have not seen any comments about the punt downed on the one, the play before the safety. In tight games it is often the little things that can be the difference between winning and losing. Shields caught the football on the bounce as it was about to go into the endzone, but if Williams put even the slightest block on Shields that ball is a touchback. How different does the rest of the first half and the rest of the game play out from there? Williams needed to be more aware on that play.