November 15, 2018, 11:42:44 PM

Author Topic: Packers @ Rams: Good, bad ugly.  (Read 736 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Packers @ Rams: Good, bad ugly.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
Montgomery made a mistake.  Hes still a good football player and I hope the Packers keep him.  I dont think they use him nearly like they should. 

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »
The Good

* Finally, this team looked like a team that played with some energy and urgency.
* Jaire Alexander, Blake Martinez, the aggressive defensive scheme, and the middle of the DL.
* The run game - but where did it go? 
* The return of the long passing game and taking some shots.
* Packer fans taking over the Coliseum.

The Bad

* Abandoning the run game - the continued lack of leaving Jones in the game.
* JK Scott
* A tough loss that will take its toll.  A win yesterday would have made going into New England not as much of a daunting task.  Going 1-1 in LA and NE would have kept the playoff possibility alive.  0-2 puts the playoffs into jeopardy. 

The Ugly

* The obvious - kick return unit.
* Play call from our own goal line.

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
McCarthy's presser makes it pretty GD clear what Montgomery was supposed to do on that kickoff, he knew and brought it out anyway - inexcusable under the circumstances and he gets no sympathy - none. This is the bad, we could list a few other things here, but nothing else comes even close. This is also the ugly - lol.

I didn't see MM's presser. But I did read this quote from it:

"Well, you look at that last situation, the plan is to stay in the end zone,” head coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. “I think we all realize with the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there, we wanted to be north of the two minutes with the one timeout.”

Nowhere in that quite dies it say he told Montgomery to not return it. It just says "we all realize".

Again, I didn't see the presser. If there was another statement where he said someone told Montgomery not to return it, I stand corrected.

Enough with "Montgomery should have been told" already. This was basic football knowledge. Returning the ball from several yards deep in the end zone in that situation was inexcusable. If Montgomery is that dumb, that clueless, that inept, he should be on the waiver wire this afternoon. This play rivals Bostick ignoring his role as a blocker and trying to make catch the onside kick in the Seattle game. The team needs to be reminded that stupidity and lack of awareness have consequences. This rivals "Don't drive impaired" as something that should be obvious, rahter than trying to find excuses for stupid behavior.

MEanwhile, the ST's played very well in the game, with the exception of Montgomery's exceedingly stupid INDIVIDUAL decision.

Woosah, ricky, woosah. 

It's called coaching.  I taught 20-something young men for 22 years.  They are an strange breed. A good coach looks him in the eye and tells him what to do (even if to just be certain of what should be obvious) when the game is on the line.

(however, it looks as if we now have confirmation that the coaching staff did just that)

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »
McCarthy's presser makes it pretty GD clear what Montgomery was supposed to do on that kickoff, he knew and brought it out anyway - inexcusable under the circumstances and he gets no sympathy - none. This is the bad, we could list a few other things here, but nothing else comes even close. This is also the ugly - lol.

"Well, you look at that last situation, the plan is to stay in the end zone,” head coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. “I think we all realize with the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there, we wanted to be north of the two minutes with the one timeout.”

Nowhere in that quite dies it say he told Montgomery to not return it. It just says "we all realize".

Again, I didn't see the presser. If there was another statement where he said someone told Montgomery not to return it, I stand corrected.

The story continues to grow.  And it seems as if the coaching staff did indeed tell Montgomery specifically what to do and he mutinied.

From Packersnews article: "They took him out (the previous drive) for a play and he slammed his helmet and threw a fit," one Packers player told Silver. "Then (before the kickoff) they told him to take a knee, and he ran it out anyway. You know what that was? That was him saying, 'I'm gonna do me.' It's a (expletive) joke.

If true, Montgomery needs to be cut.

Online BIG LEGEND

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 04:51:32 PM »
I can't believe some are still defending this guy. It's clear he was not to come out of the end one, yet he did so anyway. Mistake, comical! Ok, the type of deliberate mistake that gets your ass a one way ticket out of New England.

Offline Payne85

• Rookie
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

Enough with "Montgomery should have been told" already. This was basic football knowledge. Returning the ball from several yards deep in the end zone in that situation was inexcusable. If Montgomery is that dumb, that clueless, that inept, he should be on the waiver wire this afternoon. This play rivals Bostick ignoring his role as a blocker and trying to make catch the onside kick in the Seattle game. The team needs to be reminded that stupidity and lack of awareness have consequences. This rivals "Don't drive impaired" as something that should be obvious, rahter than trying to find excuses for stupid behavior.

MEanwhile, the ST's played very well in the game, with the exception of Montgomery's exceedingly stupid INDIVIDUAL decision.

He was only a few yards deep.  It wasn't a deep kick off.  Regardless if you can take a knee do it regardless.  Get the ball on the 25.  With the rule change no player should ever return it out of the end zone at any time.  Guys keep saying the ball was deep in the end zone that was not the case.  Maybe 2 yards deep.  What I saw anyway.  Monty wan't wearing his thinking cap.  Special teams coach should instruct these guys.  Ball in the end zone take a knee period.

This.

You cannot do a slow-developing running play from the 1-foot line.  You have to sneak it, quick dive play, or pass it.  I would have chosen to pass it.  What is kind of funny is that some of the linemen appeared to be pass blocking on this running play.

Payne85