November 16, 2018, 12:22:24 AM

Author Topic: Montgomery  (Read 859 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Montgomery
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
Trent Dilfer heard from a couple of guys who were on the sideline that he trusts that Montgomery had the discussion on the sideline with one of his coaches to stay in the end-zone and make sure #12 had a chance to win the game.  Montgomery had missed a block on the previous possession and was ticked about being taken out.  So he decided he'd do what he wanted to...... IMHO Ty should be traded today or cut.  You can't  have that level of disrespect.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online rock county

• Starter
Re: Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
Cut him if nobody is dumb enough to trade for him.

He plays no specific position well, frequently gets hurt and now is becoming a cancer to the team. 

He shouldn't have even made final roster.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
Yep, he should be cut. If they won't cut him, MM should bench him. If neither happens, they have lost control of this team.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Disagree, keep him, use him to his strengths.  He should be catching 60-70 balls out of the backfield.  If you saw Gurley out of the backfield yesterday, across the middle and down the sidelines, that's what Montgomery is capable of in the passing game.    We choose to use stale screen passes everybody sees coming.  When was the last time you saw a Packer RB catch a pass downfield????? Montgomery should be a major part of this offense.  Im not saying the every down back, but as a major weapon defenses need to account for as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:10:04 PM »
Could go either way on this one.  Emotionally cut his ass today.  Logically cut his ass today.  Through Green and Gold rose colored glasses give the kid a chance to redeem himself.  Honestly I am sure Monty feels lower than dirt at the moment.  If he begs and pleads to keep his job and redoubles his effort to be help the team well?  He'll also need to apologize to all his teammates for screwing up so badly.  Packers will make the right decision either way.  He probably cost us a W.  Now it's up to him to make a difference.  He hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  He'll need to now.

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
Trent Dilfer heard from a couple of guys who were on the sideline that he trusts that Montgomery had the discussion on the sideline with one of his coaches to stay in the end-zone and make sure #12 had a chance to win the game.  Montgomery had missed a block on the previous possession and was ticked about being taken out.  So he decided he'd do what he wanted to...... IMHO Ty should be traded today or cut.  You can't  have that level of disrespect.

Totally agree.  If true, and staff lets it go, that could really hurt the locker room.  Can't have a mutiny.  Cut him today (if true).

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »

Agree! The other thing to consider is how can the coaches ever trust him again not to take matters into his own hands?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »
It would be foolish to cut Montgomery.  Part of a trade? Perhaps.  Cut him?, NO CHANCE!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:22:39 PM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
How do you handle players who don't follow the rules? You discipline them. This seems obvious, but it seems that Montgomery is going to get away with defying (apparently) the coaching staff. What should be done? I'd cut him. And I hate the thought of ending the dreams of young men who have worked so hard, Some coaches "get it", including the Packers next opponent:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/29/report-josh-gordon-to-sit-part-of-mondays-game-as-disciplinary-measure/

So, how long would Montgomery have stayed in NE if he had done the same thing with the same results? This would have been resolved in a matter of hours.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline JerryA

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
Yep, he should be cut. If they won't cut him, MM should bench him. If neither happens, they have lost control of this team.

If cut he might be picked up by another team just to pick his brain about the Packer's x and o's. On the top of that list might be NE!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Monty said he was worried about taking a knee on the goal line or 1 yard line.  Honest mistake.  I'll take him at his word.  It was close.  He still screwed up royally.  Now some bad blood in the locker room.  It will have to be addressed.  Still doesn't change my stance.  He's a marginal player.  Not worth anything in trade IMO. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:50:31 PM by scoremore »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 03:48:04 PM »
Monty said he was worried about taking a knee on the goal line or 1 yard line.  Honest mistake.  I'll take him at his word.  It was close.  He stilled screwed up royally.  Now some bad blood in the locker room.  It will have to be addressed.  Still doesn't change my stance.  He's a marginal player.  Not worth anything in trade IMO.

It was an honest mistake, He said his decision had NOTHING to do with the previous series.  I think this rebellion theory is garbage and is being blown way out of proportion.  He wasnt sure where he was near the goaline,  I get that.  Do you down it at the 1 yard line???,  He's isnt stupid, he's a Stanford grad, and he knows all the Packers RB plays and WR routes (Many of them cant get i position right).  He regrets being called "selfish" by some annoymous teammate.   This was an honest mistake, he knows it, an overwhelming majority of his teammates know it and have his back.    Its on the Patriots next Sunday.   He and his family reportedly have received threats about this.  Unreal!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:57:16 PM by The GM »

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Disagree, keep him, use him to his strengths.  He should be catching 60-70 balls out of the backfield.  If you saw Gurley out of the backfield yesterday, across the middle and down the sidelines, that's what Montgomery is capable of in the passing game.    We choose to use stale screen passes everybody sees coming.  When was the last time you saw a Packer RB catch a pass downfield????? Montgomery should be a major part of this offense.  Im not saying the every down back, but as a major weapon defenses need to account for as a receiver coming out of the backfield.
totally agree , not that I am a huge fan of Monty, but we don't really use him, or that matter the rest of the backs the way we should . Nailed it when u said about the backs down field, almost never. It seems that we always run there routes to the sidelines  and a few yards off the line of scrimmage. Rarely do we try to use the middle of the field.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »
The cat is kind of out of the bag with Montgomery.  Despite what Tramon Williams says, you gotta believe that there is a good chunk of the locker room that isn't just going to say ok and move on.  What was said - yes it was anonymous - but it sure doesn't sound like it was just 1 guys opinion. 

Players claimed that Capers held no one accountable the past few years and were frustrated by that.  Here is a chance for MM to make a statement.  But, knowing how MM operates, I would anticipate Montgomery to stay around and a statement by MM that "we handled things internally" will probably be put out.  However, I would be shocked to see Montgomery returning kicks in the near future.  If he is, it shows a lot about MM.

I think RT pointed out that Trevor Davis could be reinstated back to the roster to return kicks.  That makes a ton of sense as right now, the punt and kick returns have been surely lacking any explosion. 

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
I'm not one to question a players intent. However, granting him the benefit of believing it was not defiance or related to his sideline temper tantrum at being pulled after missing a key block resulting in a potential game changing sack, it still does not mean he should be given a pass.

If it was a mistake, it was a mistake a veteran professional being trusted to have the ball in his hands at a critical moment in a BIG game should NOT make. A kick returners job is to be aware of his position on the field and the position of the team at such a critical time in a game. He failed to do his job, and the comparisons to Bostick and T.J. Rupley are warranted IMO
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi