November 16, 2018, 12:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Montgomery  (Read 860 times)

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
Re: Montgomery
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
Ty Montgomery disobeyed orders on key fumble, angering Aaron Rodgers and Packers

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ty-montgomery-disobeyed-orders-key-fumble-angering-aaron-rodgers-packers-141933668.html

“Aaron was hot,” one Packers coach told Silver. “And he had a right to be. He yelled, ‘Take a [expletive] knee!’ He was very, very mad.”

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »
McCarthy called the media storm surrounding Montgomery's ill advised decision on the kickoff "Nonsense".

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
That end zone was pretty colorful. I'm having trouble with the idea he couldn't see if he was in the goal line.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
Montgomery says:

"No one ever said anything to me. No one ever came to me."

Hmm.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »
Montgomery says:

Hmm.

I actually believe that. I have little confidence in this coaching staff communicating to the team during the game.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
Let’s not forget the atrocious play calling from the 1 up
10-0.  Don’t let MM blame this on TM.

Could have been 17-0 at half instead of 10-8...

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »
Montgomery says:

Hmm.

I actually believe that. I have little confidence in this coaching staff communicating to the team during the game.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. But, if Montgomery is telling the truth, MM would have us believe otherwise. That would be a worse offense than not communicating, IMO.

And if you read the quotes from the presser by MM, they are very lawyer-esque.

Either way it's bad optics. Either he didn't communicate and now he's throwing a player under the bus, or he did communicate and one of his players went rogue.

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
"Nonsense" McCarthy? Montgomery was as brilliant as you were trying to run the ball up the middle on your own 1/2 yard line against the 2 best DT's in the league! Also your brilliant use of a timeout FOR the Rams before halftime!

You know why nobody is ever disciplined for doing unforgivable crap on the field? Because MM seems to do stupid stuff all the freaking time, and nobody says or does anything. Helluva way to run a supposed professional football team!

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
Montgomery is full of crap.

....he acknowledged the return unit had its usual conversation — “if it’s in the end zone, keep it in the end zone”

So, he admits that if the ball was in the endzone, he was supposed to down it.

“At that point in time, I stood where I always stood, I had a returnable ball,” he said. “So I made a split-second decision, I don’t know if this is going to land on the goal line. So I’m not going to take a knee on the goal line, at the half-yard line and take a chance at putting the game in the ref's hands."

This make no sense. He might not have known if the ball was going to land on the goal line while it was in the air, but that obviously changes the instant he catches the ball. He secured it six feet behind the goal line. It wasn't close. A fraction of second to check where his feet were and he would've known he wasn't yet in the field of play.

He never concedes that he made the wrong decision. Instead he deflects with some bogus hypothetical. And of course the GBP writer doesn't call him on it.
He obviously ignored the coaching directive to down it. And now he's the victim.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »
Yep, he should be cut. If they won't cut him, MM should bench him. If neither happens, they have lost control of this team.

If cut he might be picked up by another team just to pick his brain about the Packer's x and o's. On the top of that list might be NE!

So no one should ever cut any player ever? Teams already have film, and we've been running the same plays forever.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »
Montgomery is full of crap.

....he acknowledged the return unit had its usual conversation — “if it’s in the end zone, keep it in the end zone”

So, he admits that if the ball was in the endzone, he was supposed to down it.

“At that point in time, I stood where I always stood, I had a returnable ball,” he said. “So I made a split-second decision, I don’t know if this is going to land on the goal line. So I’m not going to take a knee on the goal line, at the half-yard line and take a chance at putting the game in the ref's hands."

This make no sense. He might not have known if the ball was going to land on the goal line while it was in the air, but that obviously changes the instant he catches the ball. He secured it six feet behind the goal line. It wasn't close. A fraction of second to check where his feet were and he would've known he wasn't yet in the field of play.

He never concedes that he made the wrong decision. Instead he deflects with some bogus hypothetical. And of course the GBP writer doesn't call him on it.
He obviously ignored the coaching directive to down it. And now he's the victim.

It's even worse with the rule change this year. Why was he in the end zone at all? If the ball touches in the end zone, it's instantly dead. He should have been standing with his heels on the goal line. If the ball is over his head, don't touch it. The Bills did this all night last night. There was zero reason for him to touch the football at all in the end zone if he wasn't supposed to be returning it. I'm not buying his story.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »
First of all he's not a kid, he is a veteran.  Even if a coach didn't tell him anything, veterans don't make stupid mistakes.  I wanted him traded at the beginning of the year for a 3/4th pick.  Will be lucky to get a 7th.  We can send him to Oakland along with a 6th rd pick for Bruce Irvine!!!!

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING STUPID!

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »
I don't think you cut Monty. He COULD be a valuable pass catcher out of the backfield if MM would ever use him.

He made a bad, really dumb mistake, but it happens.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
I thought this was a good read by ESPN. Seems like some sincere honesty by a couple of players and coach. Some rare honesty in interviews.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25121037/packers-ty-montgomery-admits-return-was-mistake

I kind of nodded my head in agreement when Ty referenced his position switch and the potential impact that had on his NFL career. That's probably a great example of not being a selfish player.

Unfortunate the way everything unfolded with that kickoff. It stung hard, to both players and fans.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
I thought this was a good read by ESPN. Seems like some sincere honesty by a couple of players and coach. Some rare honesty in interviews.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25121037/packers-ty-montgomery-admits-return-was-mistake

I kind of nodded my head in agreement when Ty referenced his position switch and the potential impact that had on his NFL career. That's probably a great example of not being a selfish player.

Unfortunate the way everything unfolded with that kickoff. It stung hard, to both players and fans.

His explanation still makes no sense. Why was he in the end zone fielding the kick in the first place? If they didn't want to bring out any kick in the end zone, he should have had his heels on the goal line. Anything over his head is an instant touchback the moment it lands in the end zone in that case. No need to guess if it's short or not.