November 15, 2018, 11:33:03 PM

Author Topic: Montgomery  (Read 858 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Montgomery
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 10:29:35 AM »
I don't think you cut Monty. He COULD be a valuable pass catcher out of the backfield if MM would ever use him.

True. And Aaron Jones could be a consistent 100 yard rusher if MM kept him on the field. But he won't and he doesn't. Whether it is being stubborn, or too egotistical, or simply he doesn't believe in these players, but he doesn't use them to their maximum effectiveness. So, to my mind, cut Montgomery to send a message, and let MM go at the end of the season so someone else can utilize these guys to their full potential.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
His explanation still makes no sense. Why was he in the end zone fielding the kick in the first place? If they didn't want to bring out any kick in the end zone, he should have had his heels on the goal line. Anything over his head is an instant touchback the moment it lands in the end zone in that case. No need to guess if it's short or not.

And if the ball lands on the goal line and goes sideways, staying inbounds, or bounces backward into play? I know, the odds are astronomical, but so was the Pats win in the SB over the Falcons, and so were the odds of Minny beating NO on a last second TD. So, the Packers had the right idea; Montgomery apparently thought he knew better. Just like Bostick did, and with similar results.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
CNN.com has a link on their homepage that reads: Are the Packers on the verge of collapse?

Is this just so much click-bate on CNN's part, or is there actually a problem that manifests itself in things like the Montgomery mutiny?

This isn't going away, nor can it be swept under the rug, as is the Packers' tendency. 

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »
His explanation still makes no sense. Why was he in the end zone fielding the kick in the first place? If they didn't want to bring out any kick in the end zone, he should have had his heels on the goal line. Anything over his head is an instant touchback the moment it lands in the end zone in that case. No need to guess if it's short or not.

And if the ball lands on the goal line and goes sideways, staying inbounds, or bounces backward into play? I know, the odds are astronomical, but so was the Pats win in the SB over the Falcons, and so were the odds of Minny beating NO on a last second TD. So, the Packers had the right idea; Montgomery apparently thought he knew better. Just like Bostick did, and with similar results.

If the ball lands on the goal line, it's a touchback and a dead ball. It is by definition not going over his head if he has his heels on the goal line. This isn't that difficult. Montgomery should not have been in the end zone at all attempting to field the kick. There is no reason to be in the end zone with the new rule this year if you want to take the touchback automatically. The new rule states: The ball is dead if it is not touched by the receiving team and touches the ground in the end zone (touchback). The Bills did this all night on Monday night letting kick after kick go unfielded for touchbacks that landed in the end zone on kickoffs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:46:02 AM by Whiskey Sam »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Monty traded to Balt for a 2020 7th rounder.