November 16, 2018, 12:20:03 AM

Author Topic: Who will or should be the next head coach of the Packers!!  (Read 1957 times)

Offline gbnd4life

• Starter
Who will or should be the next head coach of the Packers!!
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:01:17 AM »
Hello Everyone!! I know this might be kind of early, but I think this would be fun to discuss!! I was watching the Dan Patrick Show and they thought and think the McCarthy’s time in Packer land is over and McCarthy will be heading to Cleveland. Now if if if that would happen Who would or should be the Packers next coach!!

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: Who will or should be the next head coach of the Packers!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
Bill Cowher is one off the top of my head.   ::)

Did you know that McCarthy's record when Rodgers isn't playing is not that better than Hue Jackson's at Cleveland?  Doesn't some much for McCarthy or the last ten years of drafting under TT. :'

Don't know if Gutenkest or TT ran the last draft. A little better last year.

Need OL, pass rushing help.  Lots of talented DL coming out next year.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Mike McCarthy

Offline danvillepack

• Second String
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
Mike Pettine.  Leave Philbin as OC, or let Pettine pick a new one, and hire or promote a DC.

As for Bill Cowher, I think his time has passed as a coach.  The game has changed significantly in the last 10 years.  The QBs are wearing skirts now, and the players are stronger AND faster.  That requires someone who has been keeping up with these changes and can coach accordingly.  The Packers can probably get anyone they want, so I’d like to see the season play out and then find the best emerging young talent.

Now as much as I’d like to see MM gone, I’d rather they win it all and then of course he stays.  As optimistic as I am, I don’t see this team making a deep playoff run, assuming they make the playoffs, not an insignificant “if”.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
I'm not too keen on many coordinators these days, but maybe Josh McDaniels if he wants another shot. He does a lot with average weapons over the years in NE. We have a QB that is every bit as good as Brady, we have a WR squad more talented, a running back on par with the crew in NE, the only thing they have better is TE. But we dont have slouches there either. Brady is 41, and when he goes, the Pat's will be having a tough time. McDaniels could come inherit Rodgers and Co. And continue to dominate with his offensive mind that has continually adopted to the game as it changes.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
I posted this in a different thread..............it should have been here.

Put me down for Pete Carmichael (OC Saints).
He's been there for 10 years.
QB coach his first 3 years and the OC the last 7 years.
His entire time he's been there, the Saints offense has been ranked in the top 10 of all NFL offenses.
He's been learning from Payton, and could be a great fit with GB.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
I posted this in a different thread..............it should have been here.

Put me down for Pete Carmichael (OC Saints).
He's been there for 10 years.
QB coach his first 3 years and the OC the last 7 years.
His entire time he's been there, the Saints offense has been ranked in the top 10 of all NFL offenses.
He's been learning from Payton, and could be a great fit with GB.

I like this idea
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »
A couple of schools of thought on this.

WHO MAKES THE PICK?

A big part of this process if finding out who makes the selection.  Is it Gute?  Is it Murphy who McCarthy currently reports to?  Does the organization structure go back to the HC reporting to the GM?  It could be very attractive for a new coach to report directly to Murphy.   Not sure if that changes or not.

Murphy is the guy who has to fire McCarthy, are we convinced Murphy will actually do it?  Im not so convinced with Murphy calling the shots McCarthy wont get another year regardless of his record .

WHO TO PICK?

You have to decide which approach you want.  Keep in mind Aaron Rodgers shelf life throughout this selection process. Do you want to gamble on a hot shot Coordinator?  Somebody who may/may not be successful and may take time to insert their system??  Could work very well, or could waste Rodgers years of productivity.
That being said, the most successful Head Coaches in the modern era in Green Bay were all Offensive Coordinators from other teams: Lombardi, Holmgren and McCarthy. 

Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley is the supposed next big thing.  Problem is everybody will want him.  With very little, if any NFL experience is he the guy for Rodgers final years.  What if he's the next Steve Spurrier?   I like Riley and would gamble on him both during Rodgers years and potentially after.  It will be tough to get him though.

My short term solution is a guy designed to get Rodgers to Super Bowl(s) in his time left.  He's a winner, has SB experience.    My selection would be Jim Harbaugh.   He quickly turned around University of San Diego, He rebuilt a down and out Stanford into a powerhouse, He quickly took San Fran from a doormat to a Super Bowl contender while he was there.  He took a down and out Michigan program to its current status in the top 10.   I know he's brash and abrasive, but he's a winner.  Getting him out of Michigan might be tough, but they have games coming against Ohio St, if he loses that one again you might hear some rumblings.  If you are looking for a quick fix in Green Bay, he might be our best shot with Rodgers time left.  Harbaugh usually has about a 5-6 year life and he starts wearing on the organization.  His teams play hard, and with all the question marks out there in coaching today, I'd give him strong consideration with what we are facing in Rodgers time left.  JMO. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:29:08 PM by The GM »

Offline Payne85

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
So Clinton-Dix was or was not worth the $6 million option they signed him to for 2018?

Payne85

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day and I think that if MM is let go, the list will be very lengthy and extensive.  No matter what people may say, the chance to be the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers is a pretty elite position.  Right now, I think the list would be:

Josh McDaniels - Pats OC - He passed on the Colts job and said it didn't feel right.  But the chance to work with Rodgers and a legit chance to be a contender may be enough to sway him.

John DeFillipo - Vikings OC - Rising up the charts quickly and is getting that offensive guru label after working with Pederson in Philly.

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma HC - As others have said, he will be highly sought after and his ideas and philosophies are growing in the NFL.

Dan Campbell - Saints TE coach - Has experience being the head coach, albeit on a limited basis. 

All of those guys are young and would bring some new offensive ideas to the Packers.  And, some current head coaches will be fired or not return back to their teams and would be attractive.  A guy like Bill O'Brien who may be in trouble if the Texans don't make the playoffs. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 05:06:02 PM »
Not a big fan of the Bellichick coaching tree.  Weis, Crennel, Mangini were failures.  Patricia may yet work out but.....I think McDaniel will stay in NE and be the HC there.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
It's common to figure that players win games, not coaches.  And that I should be too grown up to be like 7th-grade me who thought a new coach might fix lots of things. 

Seeing the impact of the Bucks going from Jason Kidd to Budenholzer does remind me that maybe my 7th grade self wasn't all wrong, and that coaching can (sometimes) make a difference? 

Yes, I know, football is a different game than basketball, I realize.  (And I can't imagine MM is as negative an influence as was Kidd.....) 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
It's common to figure that players win games, not coaches.  And that I should be too grown up to be like 7th-grade me who thought a new coach might fix lots of things. 

Seeing the impact of the Bucks going from Jason Kidd to Budenholzer does remind me that maybe my 7th grade self wasn't all wrong, and that coaching can (sometimes) make a difference? 

Yes, I know, football is a different game than basketball, I realize.  (And I can't imagine MM is as negative an influence as was Kidd.....)

You severely underestimate the impact of a coach on a team. The best coaches understand players skills and limitations and tailor their game plan to their players strengths. Average coaches think they can come up with a scheme and any players should be able to deliver within that scheme. The latter is what we have right now. There is a reason certain coaches can go to almost any team and have good amounts of success, it's because they understand you have to use the tools at hand to get the job done.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
In the NFL Talk section of this site I listed some coaches who could be the next Browns HC. The same applies to the Packers if MM is gone, so these were the names I had down:

DeFilippo (Vikings OC)
Lazor (Cincy OC)
Monken (Tampa OC)

Leach (Wash St. HC)
Shaw (Stanford HC)
Riley (Sooners HC)

Maybe only one, and surely no more than two of these six coaches would actually work out for the NFL team that got them, even assuming they all became NFL head coaches, which they won't.  The success rate of HCs is not good.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »
You severely underestimate the impact of a coach on a team.

He referenced the Bucks situation, so I don't know how he severely underestimated a coaches impact.