November 15, 2018, 11:30:38 PM

Author Topic: Who will or should be the next head coach of the Packers!!  (Read 1954 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
Re: Who will or should be the next head coach of the Packers!!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
The other point is this: take a look at how successful he has been when AR was not playing. 

This undermines the point you three are making above.

Now take a look at what BB did the year without Brady.

Gregg, then it would also be fair to look at how he did in Cleveland without Brady too: 36 - 44.

Further, I think we all agree that Belichick is a GREAT coach - even if he cheats 8)
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
I'll draw a comparison between 2 historic franchise's here.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh.

Chuck Noll led the 70's Steelers to 4 SB's during that decade, yet never won another SB before finally retiring in 1991, which ushered in the Bill Cowher era in Steel City which brought them back to being consistently contending and more SB's.

After Bradshaw & Co. started to decline, Noll struggled to find the right "formula" win more SB's. Eventually, he probably realized that it was going to take a new face and fresh idea's to bring the Steelers back to glory.

That may be where the Packers are at this point. It may take a new face and fresh idea's to bring more "Lombardi's" back to Titletown.

Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, have a devoted and ardently loyal fan base.
Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, plays in a smaller media market than some of the other higher profile franchises.
Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, as an organization, shows greater loyalty to coaches/staff/players than a number of other franchises.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
The other point is this: take a look at how successful he has been when AR was not playing. 

Spot on Gregg, McCarthy has been disappointing for the past couple of years.  The backups in general arent ready to play, attitude issue arose leading to trades.  I'm on the fence with McCarthy.  Gregg, you have to realize that some of these posters spent the last 5 years slobbering over themselves about the greatness of Dom Capers and his bottomfeeding defenses.  Change can be good, but some will have to go kicking and screaming into the next HC era no matter who and when that is.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
That is nonsense GM, especially since I know you can read. When the season ends it may be time for MM and GB to part ways despite the team has signing McCarthy to a contract extension through 2019. That is the most extreme thing that has been said on the topic from the slow down and wait for the season to end crowd.

I am still hoping for a championship run and the decision being made with the team on top. Regardless, that will be the time for evaluating and deciding. If the decision is to make the change I know no one who will be kicking or screaming other than the hysterics who think now (during the season) is the time to be making such a decision.

If Mike is fired or quits to take another job (Cleveland has been widely speculated) the calmer folks will be thanking him for his service and wishing him well. They will be interested in the replacement process and wishing whomever the next coach is does well and takes the Packers to the promised land.

Thoughtful and organized is how successful organizations operate. Green Bay is certainly a very successful organization - I expect them to operate regardless of the decisions about the Head Coaching position. I am pretty sure Danno, RT, OneTwoSixFive, Gregg and others think as well. 
-Vince Lombardi

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
Of course you wait until the end of the season.  They could get on a roll, and McCarthy has earned the right to complete the season IMO.  What happens after that is up to Murphy. For me, McCarthy has been disappointing the past few years.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:37:16 PM by The GM »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
I'll draw a comparison between 2 historic franchise's here.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh.

Chuck Noll led the 70's Steelers to 4 SB's during that decade, yet never won another SB before finally retiring in 1991, which ushered in the Bill Cowher era in Steel City which brought them back to being consistently contending and more SB's.

After Bradshaw & Co. started to decline, Noll struggled to find the right "formula" win more SB's. Eventually, he probably realized that it was going to take a new face and fresh idea's to bring the Steelers back to glory.

That may be where the Packers are at this point. It may take a new face and fresh idea's to bring more "Lombardi's" back to Titletown.

Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, have a devoted and ardently loyal fan base.
Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, plays in a smaller media market than some of the other higher profile franchises.
Green Bay, like Pittsburgh, as an organization, shows greater loyalty to coaches/staff/players than a number of other franchises.
I was at the SB in Dallas and the difference between the two teams and fan base are very little. Different team colors, coaches, and players, but the fans and feel are so much alike. Which makes me wonder who you would get if you fire MM? I hope you have another coach as good as MM on the horizon, if not I can see another decade of records.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »

This doesn't undermine anything. When you have a backup QB in, it's all about how he (the QB) handles it, because unless he is a well travelled vet, he likely will have seen little to no regular season action. So there is a large chunk of luck in how he does. Luck in how well the backup rises to the challenge of real games, luck in how much real experience he has had, luck in the opponent, etc. Yes, the coaches should be striving to make the best of what they have, but if your backup is pretty awful, no team will get far (including NE).

You might get a Matt Flynn type situation, where he really shines for a game, or you might get a Hundley series of games, where he regressed from what he showed in preseason, and bear in mind there had been a few bad drafts for 'Hundley-time', causing a reduction in team talent. MM did not have control of the draft like Belechick, which was in the hands of an aging TT and Russ Ball.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:37:33 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
I posted this in a different thread..............it should have been here.

Put me down for Pete Carmichael (OC Saints).
He's been there for 10 years.
QB coach his first 3 years and the OC the last 7 years.
His entire time he's been there, the Saints offense has been ranked in the top 10 of all NFL offenses.
He's been learning from Payton, and could be a great fit with GB.

I like this idea

Seconded! However, there are always risks involved in hiring a new coach. Look at the linked article, and change doesn't always mean success:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/03/with-hue-jackson-fired-most-of-the-2016-new-coaching-class-is-gone/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:35:33 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »

His entire time he's been there, the Saints offense has been ranked in the top 10 of all NFL offenses.

I like this idea

Seconded! However, there are always risks involved in hiring a new coach. Look at the linked article, and change doesn't always mean success:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/03/with-hue-jackson-fired-most-of-the-2016-new-coaching-class-is-gone/

Agree with the article, its gotta be the right fit for Green Bay and the Rodgers ticking clock issue.  A bad hire would be a disaster as Rodgers is on the back nine.  Carmichael may be the perfect choice but you have zero room for error on this one.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
To be  honest and fair one should also include the GM in the conversation...

With Rodgers out would we have done better if we still had T Hill? Look at what the Saints have done with Hill and I feel that is amazing what that kid can do. Now would MM do the same thing?...that is a good question.

MM was tied to TT AND HIS METHOD SINCE HE WAS HIRED.. I think with Gute we might see some different routes to the roster and maybe bring out some better coaching by MM... HaHa and Monte's departure might be the 1st test of how good MM is at adjusting on the fly..

I think the answer to how good MM is at coaching is about to be decided...

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »

I like this idea

The only reason I made this suggestion is because Payton has been very adept at molding his offenses to the types of skills/talent that he has had on his offenses.
It's always been built around the arm of Drew Brees, but it has morphed over the years to accommodate players who can be dominant like a Jimmy Graham, and now Ingram/Kamara for example.

Carmichael has been involved and absorbing this approach for the last 10 years. So you would think he's maybe a possibility.

But maybe he's not HC material, and is one of those "career" type OC's. But you'll never know until you start to kick the tires and find out if he's got a desire/philosophy that he'd like to apply.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »
Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy, both good coaches, are a good comparison. Both we're hired in 2006, and both have won a Super Bowl

Mike McCarthy  ranked 28th   2006-2018 
Regular season 199   124   73   2   .628   
Postseason 18   10   8   .556   
Sean Payton   rank 39   2006-2018   
Regular season 183   111   72   0   .607     
Postseason 12   7   5   .583
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:48:34 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »
Take Aaron Rodgers away and McCarthy's records would be near the bottom along with Hue Jackson!!!!!!!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
Take Aaron Rodgers away and McCarthy's records would be near the bottom along with Hue Jackson!!!!!!!

I think everyone understands that every coach benefits from having a very good QB, but your hyperbole has a negative effect on the point you are attempting to make. I get people are frustrated, but MM is not one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

Offline lozmel

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Josh McDaniels is a great offensive mind.  I think he could put this offense over the top. Mike Pettine   as turned this defense  around . Give him a few free agents with the $40+ million   in cap  money along with a few offensive linemen  and we will be back in business.