November 15, 2018, 11:48:12 PM

Author Topic: Ha Ha traded?  (Read 1086 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Ha Ha traded?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Im looking at a potential housecleaning this offseason.  Matthews and most of the FAs gone, McCarthy gone.  New coach, new FAs, 2 #1 picks to play with. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:06:08 PM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
What a stupid move.

>:(  thumbsdwn)

Clinton-Dix was not given a new contract during the off-season. Clinton-Dix had made it clear he was not returning to the Packers. What league mandated would the team have gotten for him when he signed with a new team? Last year, the Packers lost Janis and Burnett, but are not expected to get compensation because of the FA signings of Tramon Williams and Jimmy Graham. So, the Packers have gotten a decent draft pick (Bakhtiari was drafted in the fourth round), so now they have gotten compensation for a player they weren't going to retain, and can still sign a decent FA without fear of losing any compensation. What will they do to replace him in the defensive backfield? Whitehead, Jones or Greene will have to be that proverbial "next man up". 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline JerryA

• Rookie
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
This is a classic addition by subtraction...Team will be better of without
1.  HAHA...guy couldn't tackle and had no ball skills... replace will be better
2. Ty...other 2 RB's will get more touches with having to give Ty his few 6 + snaps per game.
The only part missing was to replace Zook!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
What a stupid move.

Clinton-Dix was not given a new contract during the off-season. Clinton-Dix had made it clear he was not returning to the Packers. What league mandated would the team have gotten for him when he signed with a new team? Last year, the Packers lost Janis and Burnett, but are not expected to get compensation because of the FA signings of Tramon Williams and Jimmy Graham. So, the Packers have gotten a decent draft pick (Bakhtiari was drafted in the fourth round), so now they have gotten compensation for a player they weren't going to retain, and can still sign a decent FA without fear of losing any compensation. What will they do to replace him in the defensive backfield? Whitehead, Jones or Greene will have to be that proverbial "next man up".

There was some talk a while back that Josh Jackson may be better at Safety than CB.

Maybe that talk resurfaces now.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Im looking at a potential housecleaning this offseason.  Matthews and most of the FAs gone, McCarthy gone.  New coach, new FAs, 2 #1 picks to play with.

This sounds very probable. The only problem, of course, is that Rodgers will have lost another season to mistakes, mediocrity and miscues.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »

This sounds very probable. The only problem, of course, is that Rodgers will have lost another season to mistakes, mediocrity and miscues.

That's really the crucial piece. They should be in win-now mode for the final years of Rodgers' career. We don't want a replay of Favre's final years.

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
What a stupid move.

The stupid move was not so much trading HHCD, it was failing to acquire a competent player to replace him.

GB is set to field the leagues worst safety group down the stretch. No physical enforcer, no competent cover guy and no reliable tackler in the bunch. The plan seems to be either play unproven players, who couldn't beat out the woeful Brice, or convert one of their CB's who's never practiced at or played the position.   

HHCD was your typical SS, too stiff/slow to cover and an average open-field tackler. Still, he was clearly their best player at the position. If they were set to move on, why didn't they sign or trade for a vet to replace him? Eric Reid could've been signed for the money they'll save unloading HHCD. Adding a late 4th in '19 is fine but it doesn't do squat for this years prospects. They took a half-step back with the division still up for grabs. That's dumb. 

Online rock county

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
I don't get the trading of HHCD. 

Keep him for balance of season, let him go FA, sign a decent contract with somebody else, then maybe get an comparable compensatory draft pick?

Makes no sense to me.

Online Raff

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
So, is this part of something personal between Gutekunst and Ted Thompson?

He is apparently doing everything he can to purge any and all Ted Thompson's draft picks?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/30/gm-brian-gutekunst-continues-gutting-packers-roster-at-trade-deadline/

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
I don't get the trading of HHCD. 

Keep him for balance of season, let him go FA, sign a decent contract with somebody else, then maybe get an comparable compensatory draft pick?

Makes no sense to me.

I hear you RC, it is a bit mind boggling.
I take PFF ratings with a grain of salt, but Pro Football Focus' top two graded safeties so far this year are Washington's D.J. Swearinger and ... Haha Clinton-Dix.

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
I still think the best shot is to put Tramon at free safety, Josh Jones at strong safety, Alexander and King on the outside, with Jackson and Breeland playing the slot and dime spots. Really think they missed on a chance to grab an edge rusher in the trade window. Doesnt matter the coverage if the front end cant get home.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 05:15:11 AM »
He's been horrible the last two years!  Coverage skills were terrible, tackling terrible, etc.  He wasn't performing as a below average safety.  Too bad they didn't trade him sooner.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 05:46:50 AM »
He's been horrible the last two years!  Coverage skills were terrible, tackling terrible, etc.  He wasn't performing as a below average safety.

facepalm)

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »
If they lose Ha in FA, the most they could get is a late 4th compensatory pick in 2020.  More likely a 5th.
With the trade, they get a mid to late 3rd in 2019.
So it could be argued that they ARE in win now mode, swapping a 2020 5th for a 2019 4th.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »
If they lose Ha in FA, the most they could get is a late 4th compensatory pick in 2020.  More likely a 5th.
With the trade, they get a mid to late 3rd in 2019.
So it could be argued that they ARE in win now mode, swapping a 2020 5th for a 2019 4th.

Contrast the Rams, best record in football, who added to their team, and GB who sold off players. GB is clearly not in win-now mode this year.