December 10, 2018, 06:01:49 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Patriots Game Day Thread  (Read 1701 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Patriots Game Day Thread
« on: October 31, 2018, 05:01:27 AM »
Or is it Aaron Rodgers v Tom Brady? Either way, another week, and the second leg of four weeks of lots of travel. Time to put the last game behind and get ready to play lay lights out on both sides of the ball. This team has more than enough talent (I can hear the chuckling and scoffing already) to make a SB run. It should have started last week, in spite of the inconsistent play of the offense and the horrible playcalling just before the half. But enough. The Packers are going to have to find a way to cover James White out of the backfield, and keep Gronkowski in check. This should be at least a close game, and at best, a win and a return to Lambeau to play the Dolphins. Time is running out. Time to put up or simply "play for pride" and "be a spoiler". In other words, be a loser.

One last thought. Its not how you start, but how you finish. Never give up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:19:31 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Patriots Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »
Thanks ricky.

This is the second week in a row that the Packers face off against a team that the all-time regular season series is tied.

Regular season, all-time: 5-5
All-time postseason: 1-0 All-time, in New England: 2-4
Last meeting, regular season: Nov. 30, 2014, Lambeau Field, Packers won, 26-21

vs. Opponent: McCarthy 1-2 vs. Patriots; Belichick 3-3 vs. Packers

There seems to be a fair amount of panic with fans around the WWW. about the Packers season, but their is still 9 games to play and the Packers are a 1/2 game out of 1st place. Hardly a time to panic. Interesting comment on the Packers talent level, I have stated several time that the Packers are more than talented enough to make a run and each time meet with hostility. I'm guessing you will take some heat on that one ricky.

The schedule makers stacked the deck against the Packers on this game and the Seahawks game, going from coast to coast in back to back weeks is a lot to ask of a team. The Packers really have their work cut out for them with the extra traveling. Can they overcome the difficult situation? All is yet to be determine.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
RT, the team isn't perfect, and it could use some help on the defensive side in particular, and lacks depth, but that is the modern NFL. Every team has holes, unless, like the Rams, you have two very good players (Goff and Gurley) on rookie contracts. Then you can spend money to go heavily into FA to create (on paper) the best team in the NFL. Yet the Packers defesne held this "juggarnaut" to seven points late in the second quarter. It was once again the offense that didn't hold up its end of the bargain. This will be an interesting off-season, but right now, absolutely, the Packers are in the thick of the divisional race, and if they can finally, FINALLY learn to finish off drives, they will be dangerous, indeed.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »
RT, the team isn't perfect, and it could use some help on the defensive side in particular, and lacks depth, but that is the modern NFL. Every team has holes, unless, like the Rams, you have two very good players (Goff and Gurley) on rookie contracts. Then you can spend money to go heavily into FA to create (on paper) the best team in the NFL. Yet the Packers defesne held this "juggarnaut" to seven points late in the second quarter. It was once again the offense that didn't hold up its end of the bargain. This will be an interesting off-season, but right now, absolutely, the Packers are in the thick of the divisional race, and if they can finally, FINALLY learn to finish off drives, they will be dangerous, indeed.

Agree with all that, Id like to see MVS and EQB blended into this offense a little more.  Get a legit running back or at least see if Jones is that guy.  When you get a guy who can bring 8 men to the box, thats your guy.  Might be Jones, might be LeVeon Bell in FA, or somebody else, but they need THAT GUY who can open things up for Rodgers.   Im not giving up on this season either.  Despite the hiccups, we are still right in the mix of everything.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
Packers are a perfectly even .500

Their points for/against are almost even, up 175-to-173.

This week will even their games at home versus games on the road, they've had 4 home and only 3 road thus far.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
...Id like to see MVS and EQB blended into this offense a little more. ....

ESB's snaps have been going down, 60 to 35 to 6.  He made a very fine catch key to the 49ers win, and looked really focused on making the catch and securing the ball on his nice catch versus Rams.  Think he's got a shot to be a good hands guy. 

To me it looks like MVS has uncertain hands.  MVS also has a pretty low catch % relative to targets, he's like 54% or something.  Hopefully that will go up. 

With an open roster spot, I don't hear much reference to Kumerow anymore!  :):)

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 06:04:21 AM »
Packers catch rate has not been overly impressive across the board and of course the fewer targets the more effected by a single drop Here are Packer receiving stats for WR and TE

name targets, catches, yds, ave, tds

...Adams 78 - 52 - 690 - 13.3 - 6
..Graham 49 - 28 - 370 -13.2 - 1
..R Cobb 32 - 21 - 234 - 11.1 - 1
 ..Allison 30 - 20 - 303 - 15.2 - 2
...M.V-S. 26 - 14 - 257 - 18.4 - 2
Kendricks 11 - 07 - 067 - .9.6 - 1
...E.S.B  08 - 06 - 139 - 23.2 - 0

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »
Agree with all that, Id like to see MVS and EQB blended into this offense a little more.  Get a legit running back or at least see if Jones is that guy.  When you get a guy who can bring 8 men to the box, thats your guy.  Might be Jones, might be LeVeon Bell in FA, or somebody else, but they need THAT GUY who can open things up for Rodgers.   Im not giving up on this season either.  Despite the hiccups, we are still right in the mix of everything.

The problem is that MM give lip service to the running game, but doesn't commit to it. Jones has shown he can be "that guy" in his limited time in the offense, but for some reason, MM simply refuses to stick with the "hot hand" or fully commit to running, even when it's working. It doesn't matter how good your running back is if he's only getting 10-12 touches a game.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
Is it just Mike who doesn't commit to it? Both Mike and Aaron have clearly stated that Aaron has the right to change any play at any time. Further, almost every single play call comes with an option of switching to a run or a pass. I would guess that Aaron is changing runs to passes more than he is changing passes to runs throughout each game this season. Granted some of that is situational football, in fact most fans seem to be most excited when Aaron has the ball in his hands.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
During his presser after the Rams game, Rodgers was asked why the Packers didn't run the ball more in the second half of the Rams game. AR said that MM was calling the plays, and he was running the plays received from the sidelines. Rodgers also said that he only gets to call the offensive plays during the last two minutes of each half. This was something I also had questions about, but apparently Rodgers is just running the plays the HC sends in. I believe the quotes came from PFT. So, Jones not getting the ball, and the running game being abandoned? Rodgers says its the coach.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow Follow @TomSilverstein
More
#Packers CB Tramon Williams said he will play safety Sunday against the #Patriots. He said he might play some corner too, but he is making the switch at the request of Mike Pettine.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
During his presser after the Rams game, Rodgers was asked why the Packers didn't run the ball more in the second half of the Rams game. AR said that MM was calling the plays, and he was running the plays received from the sidelines. Rodgers also said that he only gets to call the offensive plays during the last two minutes of each half. This was something I also had questions about, but apparently Rodgers is just running the plays the HC sends in. I believe the quotes came from PFT. So, Jones not getting the ball, and the running game being abandoned? Rodgers says its the coach.

And before the Rams game and many other times Mike McCarthy has said this and something similar:

“Aaron’s given a lot of responsibility, and rightfully so. He’s earned that, at the line of scrimmage and during the preparation process. That’ll continue as it’s been for quite some time.”

There is plenty of responsibility to be taken by multiple parties including MM, which I have not heard him shy away from.

The Packers lost to an undefeated Rams team by two points on the road. The four most critical plays that contributed to that loss IMO were:

1.) T. Williams failing to block Shields once he decided to not field the ball allowing the ball to be downed inside the 1 uncontested.
2.) Bryan Bulaga failing to block anyone on the subsequent Aaron Jones run call on 1st and 10. It is a totally unacceptable play at a peewee football level and unbelievable that a veteran tackle like Bulaga would indecisively freeze allowing an uncontested tackle in the end zone for a safety.
and two by Montgomery
3.) Montgomery failing to pick up Donald resulting in a sack rather than giving Rodgers the opportunity to release a pass to a wide open Adams that would have likely secured the Packers victory before the fatal blow that follows below.
4.) Montgomery selfishly or again failing the most rudimentary understanding of football deciding to run out a kick two yards (6 feet) into the end zone with 2:06 on the clock and putting the ball in the hands of Aaron Rodgers at the 25 yard line needing only a field goal to secure a HUGE road victory. And to further exasperate the situation, for Montgomery to fail to cover up and make sure he secures the football at contact. He earned his ticket to Baltimore IMO

Again, I am not excusing MM from his share of responsibility, but having watched every one of those plays live I did NOT see Mike McCarthy on the field for any of those plays. Just sayin'

-Vince Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
Aaron Rodgers was a full go at practice today (Thursday) as did CB Jaire Alexander (groin) also returned to being a full participant Thursday after a limited practice to open the work week.

Also returning to practice on a limited basis today were LB Nick Perry (ankle) and S Jermaine Whitehead (back), while C Corey Linsley (knee) was added as a limited participant  on today's injury report.

Remaining limited for a 2nd day in a row were OT Bryan Bulaga (knee), and, receivers Geronimo Allison (hamstring), Randall Cobb (hamstring), Jimmy Graham (knee), Equanimeous St. Brown (knee).

The boys seem to have come out of the battle in LA a bit banged up, but the good news is that no one failed to practice today.

-Vince Lombardi

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
To throw some input into the Aaron Jones not getting the ball discussion: I say next to a guy during the San Fran game who is friends with a former player. The word is that MM does not like Jones at all because he is not a very intelligent guy when it comes to the playbook. He only plays him because he has to because everyone in the fan base and media can see that Jones is the best runner on the team by a long shot. It's a legitimate claim with the situation we constantly in my opinion.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
Packers catch rate has not been overly impressive across the board and of course the fewer targets the more effected by a single drop Here are Packer receiving stats for WR and TE

name targets, catches, yds, ave, tds

...Adams 78 - 52 - 690 - 13.3 - 6
..Graham 49 - 28 - 370 -13.2 - 1
..R Cobb 32 - 21 - 234 - 11.1 - 1
 ..Allison 30 - 20 - 303 - 15.2 - 2
...M.V-S. 26 - 14 - 257 - 18.4 - 2
Kendricks 11 - 07 - 067 - .9.6 - 1
...E.S.B  08 - 06 - 139 - 23.2 -

The highlighted stats are are amazing. Though Adams is also quietly having a very good year. When is he going to get the recognition that he is one of the best WR's in the league?