December 10, 2018, 06:10:52 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Patriots Game Day Thread  (Read 1702 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Patriots Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »
Quote from: B link=topic=7507.msg188999#msg188999 date=1541105
And before the Rams game and many other times Mike McCarthy has said this and something similar:

[b
“Aaron’s given a lot of responsibility, and rightfully so. He’s earned that, at the line of scrimmage and during the preparation process. That’ll continue as it’s been for quite some time.”[/b]

So, it comes down to who do you believe? Jones not getting enough touches, IMO, is still on MM. He is the head coach, If he was upset about Rodgers audibling out of run plays, then he should tell him to run the plays sent in, and not freelance. Which is what AR said he was doing. If Rodgers instead disobeys direct orders, then some sort of discipline is in order. As far as the other things about why the Packers lost to the Rams, agreed,. My original post was about Jones, not blaming MM for everything the players don't do correctly.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
I believe both of them  - and both of them have said that Rodgers has the right to change any and every play at the line of scrimmage.

I also believe Aaron Rodgers when he said:
"Mike and I talk all the time; we have a great relationship," the quarterback said, per Herbie Teope of NFL.com. "There's always been great communication between us, even if there is things that we need to talk about that are tough subjects, we've never had a problem finding time and talking. That's the way it's been for 10-plus years."

Jones suspension limited his carries, as does his way below average blocking ability that is essential to protecting the teams 1st ballot hall of fame QB.

I think Aaron Jones is a great little runner. I would like to see Rodgers and the offense execute so that the team could get some rhythm going and live up to its pretty high potential. 

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Agree with all that, Id like to see MVS and EQB blended into this offense a little more.  Get a legit running back or at least see if Jones is that guy.  When you get a guy who can bring 8 men to the box, thats your guy.  Might be Jones, might be LeVeon Bell in FA, or somebody else, but they need THAT GUY who can open things up for Rodgers.   Im not giving up on this season either.  Despite the hiccups, we are still right in the mix of everything.

The problem is that MM give lip service to the running game, but doesn't commit to it. Jones has shown he can be "that guy" in his limited time in the offense, but for some reason, MM simply refuses to stick with the "hot hand" or fully commit to running, even when it's working. It doesn't matter how good your running back is if he's only getting 10-12 touches a game.

Ricky you are one of the more cerebral posters here, but try to avoid the white noise about the usage of Aaron Jones or lack of. It is not a case of just play him and surely the Packers will win, their are several factors in play regarding him.

1.) He is not assignment sure. Is it that he doesn't care to study the playbook and it just isn't important enough to him or is he just not the shapest tool in the shed? I don't know, but with each missed block is one more chance that Rodgers season ends earlier than what we would like.

2.) Jones is a resource for the whole season and is being managed accordingly. The injury history is there, last year he had only 4 games with over 10 carrys and 2 games over 14, yet missed time due to injuries twice last season. Fans are OK with breaking him down in whatever game that is being played right now, but the coaching staff understands that a healthy Jones when the weather turns bad and the ground game gains an added importance is far more important to a playoff run. This is not some new age thinking, as the human body gets fatigued the greater likelihood for injury is. Have people forgot how key a fresh James Starks was to the last successful Super Bowl run the Packers made.

When the simple minded rant about how 'all the fans and media can see it, why can't MM', remember their is a bigger picture in play here.   

Offline BrianShetty

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
I am excited for this game. I think the Packers might have turned the corner after last week. They will have to start winning games otherwise this year will end in disappointment to all involved. However I have an odd sense of confidence in this team. Maybe I am nuts for that but it is how I feel.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »
I am excited for this game. I think the Packers might have turned the corner after last week. They will have to start winning games otherwise this year will end in disappointment to all involved. However I have an odd sense of confidence in this team. Maybe I am nuts for that but it is how I feel.

You're not alone. I had a good feeling that only increased as the Rams game approached, and the ending was heartbreaking, but there was so much good to take away from that game. The best thing is to enjoy the journey. Hopefully, the team will do what they've been doing the last few years- start slow, pick up momentum, and this time, take that momentum to the SB. Why not? Its not how you start. Its how you finish that counts. Get into the hunt, get hot, and let chips fall where they may!

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »
Per Zach Kruse:

It sounds  like MVS will start again Sunday night, due to Allison (re)injury:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/02/packers-rookie-wr-marquez-valdes-scantling-likely-to-start-fifth-straight-game/

He’s looking like a legit vertical threat for the Packers!

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »

You're not alone. I had a good feeling that only increased as the Rams game approached, and the ending was heartbreaking, but there was so much good to take away from that game. The best thing is to enjoy the journey. Hopefully, the team will do what they've been doing the last few years- start slow, pick up momentum, and this time, take that momentum to the SB. Why not? Its not how you start. Its how you finish that counts. Get into the hunt, get hot, and let chips fall where they may!

Great post my brothers!
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
In the thread opener, James White was mentioned as a threat. Here is why, taken from CheeseheadTV:

Patriots running back James White is on pace to break an NFL record with 55 receptions through eight games. The record for catches by a running back in a single season is held by Matt Forte, who hauled in 102 passes in 2014 for the Bears.

With wide receiver Julian Edelman missing the first four games of the season due to a suspension, along with an injury to tight end Rob Gronkowski and the in-season addition of Josh Gordon, White has been Brady’s most consistent target. In fact, over a quarter of Brady’s 295 pass attempts have been directed toward White. The Patriots will line up White—along with fullback James Develin—in various spots to force the defense to reveal its coverage intentions.

Can Pettine and the Packers’ defense do enough to disguise their plan? And do the Packers have a linebacker who can cover White in space? While Blake Martinez has improved in coverage, it may be better to cover White with a safety, a position with plenty of question marks this week after the departure of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The bottom line is that the Patriots do as much to keep defensive coordinators up at night as any offense, and the chess match between the Patriots and Mike Pettine should be fascinating.

The writer doesn't seem to realize he may have written the answer to White might lie in the italicized part. C-D will be replaced by T-Will, who should be able to cover him adequately and tackle well enough to get him to the ground in case of a reception. So, problem solved? We'll see Sunday. But this makes me much more comfortable. Or at least slightly less nervous.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:04:50 PM by ricky »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
In the thread opener, James White was mentioned as a threat. Here is why, taken from CheeseheadTV:

Patriots running back James White is on pace to break an NFL record with 55 receptions through eight games. The record for catches by a running back in a single season is held by Matt Forte, who hauled in 102 passes in 2014 for the Bears.

With wide receiver Julian Edelman missing the first four games of the season due to a suspension, along with an injury to tight end Rob Gronkowski and the in-season addition of Josh Gordon, White has been Brady’s most consistent target. In fact, over a quarter of Brady’s 295 pass attempts have been directed toward White. The Patriots will line up White—along with fullback James Develin—in various spots to force the defense to reveal its coverage intentions.

Can Pettine and the Packers’ defense do enough to disguise their plan? And do the Packers have a linebacker who can cover White in space? While Blake Martinez has improved in coverage, it may be better to cover White with a safety, a position with plenty of question marks this week after the departure of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The bottom line is that the Patriots do as much to keep defensive coordinators up at night as any offense, and the chess match between the Patriots and Mike Pettine should be fascinating.

The writer doesn't seem to realize he may have written the answer to White might lie in the italicized part. C-D will be replaced by T-Will, who should be able to cover him adequately and tackle well enough to get him to the ground in case of a reception. So, problem solved? We'll see Sunday. But this makes me much more comfortable. Or at least slightly less nervous.

I encourage you to continue to feel less nervous, however, while T Will is much better and reliable in coverage ability than HaHa, he is  NO WHERE near as good a tackler.

The job of covering White is likely going to fall to a combination of The Packers will likely use a combination of players to guard him, including safeties Jermaine Whitehead and Josh Jones, linebacker Oren Burks and slot CBs Josh Jackson and/or Bashaud Breeland.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline carnival

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
Ok.....47 of 75 plays for the Pat's vs k c went left
Just so you know..... just thought that was interesting go pack go!!!!@

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
Ok.....47 of 75 plays for the Pat's vs k c went left
Just so you know..... just thought that was interesting go pack go!!!!@

The northeast is known to be a little more left than the midwest. How far left are you talking here? Far left? 47 of 75 doesn't seem to be radical left. Wait are you talking our left or their left?

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
Gronkowski is out. That makes the defenses job a little easier, although not much with as many other weapons they have.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Game starts with a penalty on the kick lol
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
Can someone say swiss cheese for the defense.

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »
Gronkowski is out. That makes the defenses job a little easier, although not much with as many other weapons they have.

Doesn’t look like it so far.  Super easy drove with every Patriot being wide open.

MM was shaking his head on the sideline after the 3rd play.  Get him gone... he’s outlasted is welcome.