November 16, 2018, 12:32:24 AM

Author Topic: shoulda, coulda, woulda....  (Read 673 times)

Offline packlaw

• Second String
shoulda, coulda, woulda....
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:58:39 AM »
Is this team snake bit?  In the past, they lost playoff games when the refs missed Rice's fumble and Owens eventually scored, the debacle in Seattle, Farve's interceptions in the playoffs, Roger's injury last year etc.  This year, they should of won the Vikings game; but for the roughing the passer call, they could of won the Rams game had Montgomery not fumbled, they would of made a better showing if there was no fumble by Jones or a roughing the kicker call yesterday.  Add those mishaps, to an offense not in sync or a defense mired in injuries and youth.  It is no longer an elite team.  It is a team in transition with a new defensive coordinator, with a youthful secondary and aging edge rushers soon to be replaced.  Expectations must be lowered.  Chicago and the Vikings are ahead in the division.  The season is not over; but they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot.  Injuries can't be controlled nor can the refs; but the healthy players must step up and take one game at a time  Rogers is still the key to the offense and his young receivers and running backs need to mature under his guidance.  The offensive line needs to be upgraded next year as well as the edge rushers; but that is next year.  Now the team must allow the young players play and gain experience at wide receiver, running back and the secondary.  Let it begin with Miami...

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: shoulda, coulda, woulda....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:29:45 AM »
The problem isn't being "snake bit" this year. Quite simply, this team is too mistake prone, lacks any kind of offensive or defensive identity, meaning they are inconsistent, and they lack both a "killer instinct". Why is this happening? That is something the team is going to have to evaluate during the rest of this season, and address during the off-season. If Gutekunst is given free rein, then expect there to be some major changes in both the coaching staff and players on the field. Expect there to be (gasp!) a major move or two in FA. It'll be interesting how much power Gutey really has, and how sweeping this new broom will be.

Bottom line, contenders find ways to win. Pretenders find ways to lose. And the Packers haven't been consistently playing like contenders.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:31:10 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 06:03:05 AM »
It's a very young team.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
I agree this is a young team and there are many positive signs it's not just negative.  I do think the offensive play calling is a problem.  I don't know if the receivers lack of separation is because of the route designs, lack of speed or poor line blocking.  Something o offense needs fixing.  The defense is starting to come around, the d-line, secondary and Blake are playing really well.  A pass rusher would really help a lot.  I really like Mike Petine's style and worry that if McCarthy goes he'll go too.  Zook needs to go now.  Special teams are killing us.   

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »
I agree this is a young team and there are many positive signs it's not just negative.  I do think the offensive play calling is a problem.  I don't know if the receivers lack of separation is because of the route designs, lack of speed or poor line blocking.  Something o offense needs fixing.  The defense is starting to come around, the d-line, secondary and Blake are playing really well.  A pass rusher would really help a lot.  I really like Mike Petine's style and worry that if McCarthy goes he'll go too.  Zook needs to go now.  Special teams are killing us.
well put couldn't agree more. Especially the defense,really like our young corners, these guys will even be better if we ever get a pass  rush. Don't know if we contacted Irving or not, would be a little disappointed if we didn't try.

Online SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »

It was interesting seeing an emotional Kurt Warner talk about how they needed to make it easy on Rodgers with some of the play calling instead of expecting him to be Aaron Rodgers every play. Surely it hasn't been easy with the offensive planning with Rodgers hurt all year and not practicing full time and WR's hurt forcing the rooks into action early.

Mariucci went right back at him basically saying they will get it together. I hope he's right, Rodgers is taking a lot of hits.