November 16, 2018, 12:25:51 AM

Author Topic: Some Game Thoughts  (Read 479 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Some Game Thoughts
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »
I thought the Packers played pretty well against NE and the Rams.  I was very disappointed in the special teams play and we could've easily won both games.  The 4th and 24 running into the kicker against NE is really mind boggling and there are no excuses for it as is running out of the end zone and fumbling.  One occurred with a veteran, the other a rookie.  For those of you who have been around, it reminds of the Fitzgerald catch against the Cardinals a few years ago and the Donovan McNabb run against Favre's Packers a few more years ago on 4th and 26.

I thought Aaron Jones played exceptionally well and was trying to stretch out his run when he fumbled, he has passion and I will not criticize him for that one bad event.  I was one of the few that stood tall for Crosby when he had a bad game in Detroit.  Trust me, he's won more games for us than lost, that margin is about 30 to 1.

So what happened?  Alot of folks saying well if Dix was still here he would've made such and such a play.  Dix was playing not too get hurt the last two years and he wouldn't have made any play and I'll go on record and say the score would've been 48-17 if Dix had played.  His  quality of play has been dramatically decreasing.  I was pretty impressed with the play of our DB's given the situation, (thrown out S, for slapping?)  Jones played pretty well and he is quick! Finally we got Graham involved.  Why didn't Lewis play?  It would have been a tough time for NE if we had three TE's on the field at the same time!  Moving on to our WR's.  Cobb has no business on the field, can't run, can't cut.  Pretty worthless  I know he has a hammy, so why are we playing him?  This took the middle of the field away from Rodgers, did anyone notice where 75% of his throws went?  Yep along the sidelines!!   

Thought Rodgers career was over on the one tackle by the DL, look incredibly similar to the Barr hit, except the DL weighs 330lb, not 250.  Linsley once again blew a block and Rodgers got killed by two DL on another play.  Now Linsley is playing better than earlier this year, but he doesn't meet my standards as a center.  He does not hold up well against 330lb lineman.  They could've beaten NE by more TE usage and more running plays.  Jones touched the ball twelve times, should have been 24 times.

My final thoughts and I do hammer on this repeatedly.  Our LBs lack speed and talent.  On my team, Martinez would be a backup.  He is slow, his pass defense is non-existant.  He has improved tremendously over the last two years.  He has passion and he does make alot of tackles, most of them after the back has run for ten yards. Mathews did nothing last night and was blocked on every play, no pressures whatsoever.  Let's talk Perry a second.  He has been absolutely worthless the last two years.  He had no tackles and no batted balls and no pressures yesterday.  It wasn't only yesterday, it's been the last two years.  No passion, no desire and he is worthless, collecting a $750,000 check a game thumbsdwn) that he is with the Packers.  If I'm the GM, Bruce Irvine is in camp by the end of the day!!!!!!  Was kind of surprised that Clark's name wasn't called at all, against the Rams he was a beast!  Very little pass rush, no hands in the air again, to knock down passes by entire DL.  Entire defense fell asleep on the 1 play where they double threw the ball down the field. 

Again, I'll reiterate my concerns like I have the last five years.  You need speed and talent at LB, we have zip!!!!  We had 13 draft picks this year and the ammunition to move up to get Roquan Smith.  We blew that one! Two years ago, TJ Watt fell into our laps and we took a flyer!  Can't fix stupid!  Four years ago, we could have moved up five spots in the draft to draft Ryan Shazier.  Blew that one. (We drafted Dix.)  thumbsdwn) Great speedy linebackers who can tackle and have great coverage skills are hard to find!!!  Last time we had one, the guy's name was Wayne Simmons!  Yeah, it's been 22 years and counting!!  During the TT draft years, he believed the weakness was the DB's.  So he drafted four of them.  How did that work out?  I do love the two we have now.  But in watching Roquan Smith the last few games, he is a monster from sideline to sideline!!  With the upcoming draft, we need to address, DL (pass rusher alot of great talent coming out this year along the DL!!!!!) Kid from Miami, ND, Florida, etc.  We need to add depth on the OL with a center and someone who can play guard or tackle.  Spriggs when healthy is pretty good, but we need one two bodies and not in the 4th rd.  Still trying to figure out a punter in the 5th rd, when your existing punter was more than adequate!  Our chance to get a speedy, talented LB came and went the last two years.  Talent at that position is lean, real lean this year! I can only hope for FA's, now

I hate to see folks get fired, but it is going to happen.  Expect Zook to be gone by the end of the day.  I fully anticipate that McCarthy has seen his last season in GB, even if they win the Super Bowl. ;D

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: Some Game Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
One other point from last night, Morrison had seven tackles in about 1.5 quarters.  Josh Jones had six tackles.  That's a few more than Dix ever got!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
One other point from last night, Morrison had seven tackles in about 1.5 quarters.  Josh Jones had six tackles.  That's a few more than Dix ever got!

Dix is a pansy, that's why he's gone.   Instead of thinking CONTACT he started thinking CONTRACT, and it showed.           

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »

Dix is a pansy, that's why he's gone.   Instead of thinking CONTACT he started thinking CONTRACT, and it showed.         

True.  Had a awful game in Washington.  They are probably already regretting signing him.  He better step it up or he won't get that big contract he is dreaming of.  This is a guy I would be really worried about disappearing once he gets his payday.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
Some good news on the injury front.

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
#Packers OT Bryan Bulaga did not finish last night’s game, but source said his knee is going to be fine. No structural damage, and he could even play this week.

Online yourout

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:36:25 PM »
Death by a thousand cuts.....here is my list of the mistakes(cuts). They just make way to many mistakes to beat anyone good.

#1. Long return plus penalty on opening kickoff.
#2. Delay of game penalty.
#3. Graham not catching the pass in the end zone. Not an easy catch but one that should have been made IMHO.
#4. Roughing the punter.
#5. Some hideously bad route combinations on 3rd downs.
#6. Williams bad backfield release where he takes out Bulagas knee and almost gets Arod killed at the same time.
#7. Timeout after receiving a punt.
#8. Dropped reasonably tough catch along the sidelines(St Brown I think).
#9. Circus catch along the sidelines on 3rd and 1 or 2 that would have been an easy first if ARod had handed it off to Jones.(They got the first but that was dumb as hell.
#10. The fumble.

Feel free to add.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Death by a thousand cuts.....here is my list of the mistakes(cuts). They just make way to many mistakes to beat anyone good.

#1. Long return plus penalty on opening kickoff.
#2. Delay of game penalty.
#3. Graham not catching the pass in the end zone. Not an easy catch but one that should have been made IMHO.
#4. Roughing the punter.
#5. Some hideously bad route combinations on 3rd downs.
#6. Williams bad backfield release where he takes out Bulagas knee and almost gets Arod killed at the same time.
#7. Timeout after receiving a punt.
#8. Dropped reasonably tough catch along the sidelines(St Brown I think).
#9. Circus catch along the sidelines on 3rd and 1 or 2 that would have been an easy first if ARod had handed it off to Jones.(They got the first but that was dumb as hell.
#10. The fumble.

4 and10 were the game changers IMO.

Feel free to add.