November 15, 2018, 11:16:35 PM

Author Topic: 9-6-1  (Read 585 times)

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
9-6-1
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
A quick survey of the NFC playoff contenders suggests that if GB can manage a record of 9-6-1, they should stand a good chance of claiming a wild card spot or possibly the division title.

NFC East:
WAS (5-3) has PHI(x2), @DAL and HOU, along with @TB, NYG, @JAX and @TEN. 11-5 seems to be their ceiling, more likely 10-6. PHI (4-4) has WAS(x2), DAL(x2), @NO, @LA, HOU and NYG. Hard to see them finishing any better than 9-7. DAL (3-4) has PHI(x2), WAS and NO, along with TEN, @ATL, @IND, TB, @NYG. They'll also likely finish no better than 9-7. 

NFC South:
NO (7-1) is all but assured a playoff berth. They've got @CIN, PHI, PIT and CAR(x2), plus @TB, @DAL and ATL. Hard to see them any worse than 12-4. CAR (6-2) has some tough matchups @PIT, NO(x2) and SEA, plus ATL, @TB, @CLE and @DET. 10-6 looks like their floor.

NFC West:
LA (8-1) will win the division. Only KC, @CHI and PHI look to be tough games, they also play SEA, @DET, @ARI and SF. Only SEA (4-4) has any chance at a wild card, but they have a brutal schedule with @NO, @CAR, GB, MIN and KC, plus SF(x2) and ARI. They'll be lucky to finish 8-8.

NFC North:
CHI (5-3) is sitting pretty. They have four potentially tough games, MIN(x2), GB and LA, plus DET(x2), @NYG and @SF. They look like 9-7 at worst, most likely 10-6 or better. MN (5-3-1) has CHI(x2), GB, @NE and @SEA, along with MIA and @DET. If CHI can beat them once, and they lose to NE, they could well end at 9-6-1 or worse. GB (3-4-1) has tough games @MN, @CHI and @SEA, plus five winnable games against MIA, ARI, ATL, @NYJ and DET.

If GB can finish 9-6-1, and manage to beat MN in the process, they probably make the playoffs as the final wild card. So they need to go 6-2 down the stretch. They'll also need a little help from MN and a few NFCE teams. With the way this team is playing, that seems like a tall order. But McCarthy is now officially coaching for his job, not only his current one with GB, but also for any potential head coaching job elsewhere. If GB flops, its hard to see him landing another HC gig anytime soon. His back is against the wall, so we're likely about to see the most aggressive coaching/playcalling of his tenure. Rodgers is getting healthy and certainly doesn't want to go quietly, so he'll likely play at a high level down the stretch. It should be an exciting 8 weeks.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: 9-6-1
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
Good post.

IMO, the one hole in your theory is MM doesn't have any extra pressure on him. He is retiring after this season, he is not coaching to save his job or add to his resume for another job. He is retiring.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
....He is retiring after this season, he is not coaching to save his job or add to his resume for another job. He is retiring.

Life, work, and family have been really absorbing, and with the packers lucky to have more than the Buffalo win, they haven't gotten as much of my attention as in some seasons when I had strong hopes for them. 

Is this is a joke?  Or really a news pieces that I've missed?  Your inside dope?  Your personal hypothesis? 

Not sure a lot of competitive 54-year-old guys decide to retire....

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
....He is retiring after this season, he is not coaching to save his job or add to his resume for another job. He is retiring.

Life, work, and family have been really absorbing, and with the packers lucky to have more than the Buffalo win, they haven't gotten as much of my attention as in some seasons when I had strong hopes for them. 

Is this is a joke?  Or really a news pieces that I've missed?  Your inside dope?  Your personal hypothesis? 

Guys retire at 55 (in 5 days) that are feeling coaching burnout and feel like their kids best years are slipping away.

John Madden retired at 42, Bill Cowher 50, Jimmy Johnson 56. Cowher said that it really ate at him that he was missing out on his kids lives.

The one year deal he signed last year only points to one thing for me and that was his exit plan. I will be amazed if this is not his final season.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »

Guys retire at 55 (in 5 days) that are feeling coaching burnout and feel like their kids best years are slipping away.

John Madden retired at 42, Bill Cowher 50, Jimmy Johnson 56. Cowher said that it really ate at him that he was missing out on his kids lives.

The one year deal he signed last year only points to one thing for me and that was his exit plan. I will be amazed if this is not his final season.

I will add to this very good reply that MM was really shook a few years back when his younger brother unexpectedly died from a heart attack.

I would not be at all surprised to see MM retire. If not this year, then soon.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
Good post.

IMO, the one hole in your theory is MM doesn't have any extra pressure on him. He is retiring after this season, he is not coaching to save his job or add to his resume for another job. He is retiring.

This seems the most likely outcome. And it probably be best for both him and the Packers. MM needs to get out of the insane hours, stress and soul eating demands of the job. He seems to be gaining weight every season; extreme stress and too much weight are a recipe for major, life threatening health problems. For the Packers, it is becoming increasingly apparent that he proactove;y  lost any ability to innovate, react to odg events on the field, and doesn't seem to be able to get the most out of his players. Add in his legendary stubborness and being too loyal to his coaches, and its time to part ways. MM has done a lot of great things, especially helping to mold odgers into the QB he is today. Yes, the talent was there, but MM helped to maximize that talent. Thanks Mike for many great memories, but its time to move on.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
To where, the Browns?

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
Thanks, interesting thoughts.  Two more:
1.  "Retire" and "fire" may be somewhat interchangeable; if you're not going to bring a guy back, and nobody else wants to hire him, a guy may "retire".  Without it necessarily being 100% his choice or initiative?  I could easily see that being a situation for MM...
2.  Madden, Cowher, and Jimmy Johnson did they retire after a couple of non-playoff, losing seasons?    Lot of these guys are super, super competitive, and very prideful. Each man is different, of course, but if it was me, it would be totally different to retire when I've been having success and everybody still respects me.  But to voluntarily retire when you've had some unsuccessful seasons and your reputation is tarnished, that would be inconceivable to me, I'd so want to re-prove myself (perhaps to the outside world and the fans, and also to myself too?).  I'd want to go out on top; not when everybody thinks I'm washed-up and dumb and no good anymore.

No idea what MM thinks and feels and values, of course. 

3.  May also be that some of these other guys had opportunities and things to strive for.  New challenges.  Maybe MM does.  But I can't imagine MM quitting at 55 and sitting around going to his kids games but having nothing to personally strive for.  Does he want to be an announcer and analyst?  Not sure that's really in his DNA or skill-set; maybe I'm wrong and he could and wants to.  Or maybe he has a load of other causes he could serve with passion and great satisfaction.  But retiring to pursue something else you're really interested in and will find challenging and worth striving after, that's one thing; retiring to fish and watch kids games, I'm not sure that's really what a 55-year-old competitor is wired for. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
craig, did some checking on final years records for the guys you mentioned. John Madden went 9-7 his final season, after winning the SB two years earlier. Though he also has the best winning percentage of any coach with more than 100 wins. Jimmy Johnson spent his last four years with Miami. Went 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, and 9-7. His final game before leaving was an absolute blowout to the Jags, 62-7. So, he didn't go out on top, He just got out. Cowher, on the other hand, got out after "winning" Super Bowl XL. You might remember, that was game where it seems the refs were finding ways to prevent Seattle from scoring. So, he definitely did go out on top.

For MM, I don't know how he feels, but as you suggested, "retirement" and "firing" may be interchangeable. Though there does seem to be some discussion of MM going to Cleveland. Young QB gets HC who is a QB guru, it seems logical. But unless they had a strong, innovative OC who was calling plays, they could well just have a stale offense and a stubborn coach who needs some R&R.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid