May 24, 2019, 07:54:02 AM

Author Topic: Vince Williams - ILB from FSU  (Read 1967 times)

Offline #66

• HOF Member
Vince Williams - ILB from FSU
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
He will be picked in the latter rounds.  I have seen multiple sites that list his stock as rising since the Senior Bowl practices.  He can take on guards and move from sideline to sideline.  The more I see of him the more I like.  I think that he has the potential to be a true 3 down ILB and bring some nastiness to our D.  He was a captain at FSU and was known for being a vocal leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtLeVF3LMU

Hopefully I pasted that correctly...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

57packer

Re: Vince Williams - ILB from FSU
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
Several interesting Senior Bowl LBs.  Williams had moments.  SOme see him as just a 2-down thumper.  It'll be interesting to see him in some drills and agility tests at the combine.  He played pretty well in the game.  I like him in Rds 5-6

Other LBs I'll be watching:  Sio Moore, who looked solid all week and flashed during the game, probably a Rd 3-5 guy.  Ty Powell a relative unknown from Harding University (where the hell is that?) opened some eyes and showed he belonged.  Good size at 6'2+"-245# with supposedly good speed in the 4.6-4.7 range.  Not sure where he'd be slotted now.  Still a late rounder I assume.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
Williams over-pursued at times in the Senior Bowl but that is something that can be taught.  I would rather have a young prospect over-pursue than constantly be behind the play.

Round 5 or 6 is sounding about right at the moment.  Before the Senior Bowl I saw him as listed at just past pick #200.

It is fun thinking about who we can get at the top of the draft that can star but recent history has shown that it is the players after the first round that have had the most impact in their first year in regards to GB. 

Heyward, McMillian, and Barclay had a much larger impact than Perry and Worthy this year, for instance.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:18:14 PM by #66 »
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline DenverPackFan

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I missed this thread...

I've read some good things on him from the senior bowl.  Here is what Josh Norris said: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42422/351/senior-bowl-review-defense

Vince Williams (6004/247), FSU - There might not have been a better inside linebacker on the field all week. Williams was physical when filling the lane, scraping off second level blocks, and showed decent range to not get beat to the corner.

Sounds like he could be a decent choice if we don't go with Ogletree or Minter early.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
I read that as well. 

There are  number of teams out there looking for an ILB.  Ogletree's injury history may move him down TT's board and Minter could easily be gone.  I have not seen a later round ILB, yet, that I think can bring the athleticism and nastiness that many of us are looking for in GB.  He has been described as having been a team leader as well.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Many sites are considering him at the head of the list of combine snubs.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
57-  Harding is a small school ( around 7,000) about 50 miles from Little Rock- Josh Buchanon who focuses on small college guys, has Powell going in 5/6 round range.