November 15, 2018, 11:14:48 PM

Author Topic: The rest of the season  (Read 1255 times)

Online packlaw

• Second String
The rest of the season
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:36:41 AM »
With eight games left, the Packers have no margin of error if they are to make the playoffs.  They are 1-1-1 in the division.  It is a must to win all division games.  Given the teams performance to date, the only games where they would be favored are Miami, Arizona and the Jets.  Since they played the Vikes, the Vikes have remained strong where the Packer's haven't.  Same is true for the Bears.  We already lost to the Lions.  If they win all division games and favored games, it would be 9 wins.  It is necessary to win either the Atlanta or Seattle game to reach 10. That is a tall order and I have not heard Rogers sound optimistic. Simply put, the teams ability to make the playoffs requires a consistency we haven't seen yet.  On offense, our backs are good,though under utilized.  I don't think the loss of Allison will hurt as much as the rookies have played well and show continued improvement.  Our line has to protect better and become more cohesive.  The tight ends need to step up and take the pressure off of Adams as they will be covered one on one.  More of the running game, will eventually open up lanes for our receivers.  The front line is good, the edge rushers are not.  Mathews tries; but has lost a step. Gilbert is inconsistent and Perry is non existent. Unless pressure is increased, the secondary will be at a big disadvantage.  If this team is to make a run for the playoffs, it needs to increase the pressure up front and the offense has to have a game plan where the run sets up the pass.  A loss to any division opponent or favored team, means the end of a playoff run IMHO.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: The rest of the season
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:00 AM »
With eight games left, the Packers have no margin of error if they are to make the playoffs.  They are 1-1-1 in the division.  It is a must to win all division games.  Given the teams performance to date, the only games where they would be favored are Miami, Arizona and the Jets.  Since they played the Vikes, the Vikes have remained strong where the Packer's haven't.  Same is true for the Bears.  We already lost to the Lions. 

If they win all division games and favored games, it would be 9 wins. It is necessary to win either the Atlanta or Seattle game to reach 10. That is a tall order and I have not heard Rogers sound optimistic. Simply put, the teams ability to make the playoffs requires a consistency we haven't seen yet. 

On offense, our backs are good,though under utilized.  I don't think the loss of Allison will hurt as much as the rookies have played well and show continued improvement.  Our line has to protect better and become more cohesive.  The tight ends need to step up and take the pressure off of Adams as they will be covered one on one.  More of the running game, will eventually open up lanes for our receivers. 

The front line is good, the edge rushers are not.  Mathews tries; but has lost a step. Gilbert is inconsistent and Perry is non existent. Unless pressure is increased, the secondary will be at a big disadvantage.  If this team is to make a run for the playoffs, it needs to increase the pressure up front and the offense has to have a game plan where the run sets up the pass. 

A loss to any division opponent or favored team, means the end of a playoff run IMHO.

Paragraphs are good...

Myself, it's time to tank... I'd immediately fire MM (nice run!) and his stale offense, play as many young guys as possible and look forward to the draft.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
Thanks packlaw.

I will add a couple of thoughts here. Lets talk about Rodgers, everyone looks everywhere but at him as a cause for defeat, but the thuth is he hasn't played well. He hasn't played well in quite some time now. He puts together some numbers here and there when teams are in prevents and it takes the bullseye off of him, but he has been average for several seasons now. The Packers are paying him as the best player in the game and he may well be in decline. The Packers could be choking on this contract for years to come.

Rodgers in his past 41 regular season games has had a passer rating under 100 in 25 of those games and over in 16 games. That is 60% of the time he is below a 100 rating. Also, he has a passer rating under 100 in 7 of his last 9 playoff games. In those 41 regular season games that he has played (this does not include games missed because of injury) the Packers are 21-19-1. Rodgers has played like a average QB for most of the last 2 1/2 years.

This current season their is 11 QB's that have a QB rating over 100 for the season, Rodgers is at 98.9. The NFL average of ALL QB's in 94.0 this season.

If Rodgers can string together a half a season of playing like a top 5 QB the Packer will make a run, if he continue to play like an average QB they will end as an average team.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:33:24 AM »
Thanks packlaw.

I will add a couple of thoughts here. Lets talk about Rodgers, everyone looks everywhere but at him as a cause for defeat, but the thuth is he hasn't played well. He hasn't played well in quite some time now. He puts together some numbers here and there when teams are in prevents and it takes the bullseye off of him, but he has been average for several seasons now. The Packers are paying him as the best player in the game and he may well be in decline. The Packers could be choking on this contract for years to come.

Rodgers in his past 41 regular season games has had a passer rating under 100 in 25 of those games and over in 16 games. That is 60% of the time he is below a 100 rating. Also, he has a passer rating under 100 in 7 of his last 9 playoff games. In those 41 regular season games that he has played (this does not include games missed because of injury) the Packers are 21-19-1. Rodgers has played like a average QB for most of the last 2 1/2 years.

This current season their is 11 QB's that have a QB rating over 100 for the season, Rodgers is at 98.9. The NFL average of ALL QB's in 94.0 this season.

If Rodgers can string together a half a season of playing like a top 5 QB the Packer will make a run, if he continue to play like an average QB they will end as an average team.

Yes this is the elephant in the room.  Was against signing that enormous contract coming off of the collar bone.  We never did get to see if he came back from that because he then proceeded to injure his knee.  Everyone is calling for MM's head when the reality is Aaron is not up to his usual standard of play.  Hopefully he will regain his form if not yes the Packers are going to be in a world of hurt for the next several years as we choke on that contract. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:36:23 AM »
With eight games left, the Packers have no margin of error if they are to make the playoffs.  They are 1-1-1 in the division.  It is a must to win all division games.  Given the teams performance to date, the only games where they would be favored are Miami, Arizona and the Jets.  Since they played the Vikes, the Vikes have remained strong where the Packer's haven't.  Same is true for the Bears.  We already lost to the Lions. 

If they win all division games and favored games, it would be 9 wins. It is necessary to win either the Atlanta or Seattle game to reach 10. That is a tall order and I have not heard Rogers sound optimistic. Simply put, the teams ability to make the playoffs requires a consistency we haven't seen yet. 

On offense, our backs are good,though under utilized.  I don't think the loss of Allison will hurt as much as the rookies have played well and show continued improvement.  Our line has to protect better and become more cohesive.  The tight ends need to step up and take the pressure off of Adams as they will be covered one on one.  More of the running game, will eventually open up lanes for our receivers. 

The front line is good, the edge rushers are not.  Mathews tries; but has lost a step. Gilbert is inconsistent and Perry is non existent. Unless pressure is increased, the secondary will be at a big disadvantage.  If this team is to make a run for the playoffs, it needs to increase the pressure up front and the offense has to have a game plan where the run sets up the pass. 

A loss to any division opponent or favored team, means the end of a playoff run IMHO.

Paragraphs are good...

Myself, it's time to tank... I'd immediately fire MM (nice run!) and his stale offense, play as many young guys as possible and look forward to the draft.

I'm just not ready to go there Donzo. The team that gets hot in the second half of the season has a real chance to win out in the playoffs. Their is still time for the Packers. Time is getting very short, but still time.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
I'm just not ready to go there Donzo. The team that gets hot in the second half of the season has a real chance to win out in the playoffs. Their is still time for the Packers. Time is getting very short, but still time.

Two polar opposites. Donzo is ready to give up, throw in the towel, fold his tent, take a powder. On the other hand, RT believes there is still a chance, however slight, this team can still turn things around. Agreed, but that is just my nature. However, for that to happen, the team leader, Rodgers, needs to challenge the team, then elevate  his game to another level. He has done this in dire circumstances at least twice ("R-E-L-A-X"
and "we need to run the table"). That fire, that commitment, that willingness to take on a Herculean task has been absent so far. Instead, we continue to see a team that finds ways to lose, rather than win. The following article from CHTV explores this idea, and seems relevant to this emerging discussion: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-character-is-getting-revealed-156
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
Thanks packlaw.

Yes this is the elephant in the room.  Was against signing that enormous contract coming off of the collar bone.  We never did get to see if he came back from that because he then proceeded to injure his knee.  Everyone is calling for MM's head when the reality is Aaron is not up to his usual standard of play.  Hopefully he will regain his form if not yes the Packers are going to be in a world of hurt for the next several years as we choke on that contract.

I read a couple of stats that I found alarming. 
1) Through 9 weeks, Rodgers ranks 28th in completion percentage.
2) Through their last 10 games, Brett Hundley was 3-7, Aaron Rodgers is 3-6-1.  There are a ton of variables that could go into this but changes clearly need to be made whether its personnel, coaching, game planning, or any number of things.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »
GM, you're not seriously comparing Rodgers and Hundley, are you? Takiing stats from a very small sample size can be very misleading. As you've proven. Seriously, in the Rams game, who would you rather have trying to win the game in the waning seconds if Montgomery had taken a knee? Is it Rodgers fault that Jones fumbled, turning the tide of the game as the defense went into meltdown mode? This is not a blanket endorsement of AR. He has not shown leadership during this run. But to posit some kind of equality between the two QB's is absurd.

Online packlaw

• Second String
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Rogers has taken this team on his shoulders a number of times...at least twice this year...in the past his Relax and Run the table energized the team. We
forget this is a team game.  Lets be honest, the offensive line is a C at best, Graham hasn't played to his salary and the wide receivers are raw save for Adams who is always double teamed and the run game isn't properly used. This is what Rogers has to work with and as a result his stats suffer.  I believe if Jordy was still here, the stats would be better and probably the record also.  Until we improve the offensive line, the young receivers gain experience, the run is used to set up the pass and we have a consistent tight end, Rogers can only do so much; but I don't believe Rogers can overcome these needs alone.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »
A couple things seem to be going on. 

Rodgers being hurt means defenses can scheme him differently; knowing his maneuverability within the pocket and ability to outrun d-linemen or lbs is reduced.  Thus, he's more likely to be sacked or at least not crank off 15 yard scrambles.  Playing young receivers (who haven't been benefiting from in-week practice with Rodgers when he was injured) means poorer route timing and the youngsters aren't as saavy in knowing what to do or what AR likes in scramble drills.  All this hurts the pass game.  Teams should double Adams; knowing Cobb is doing nothing, the youngsters aren't proven threats and Graham is doing...a little but not a lot. 

The DBs are a bright spot and will only get better. 

The outside pass rush is sub par; are teams cheating and dedicating more pass protection up the middle as a result?  Agreed that CMIII and Perry are, generously, average.

GB is in a mini-rebuild.  We have to ride out this year and the CMIII and Cobb contracts; knowing both will be gone and that money can be better allocated elsewhere.  Not sure what to think of Graham yet.  Want to give him benefit of doubt in not having enough time to sync up with AR, but so far that's not looking like a good investment.

I don't think we have the guns for this to be a turn-around year.  AR's health and a sub-par roster (in part from the 2015 draft) are too much to overcome. 

MM hasn't yet gotten that contract extension, has he?  I think he's relied on AR to save to day to the extent that he has lost aggressiveness and creativity in his play calling.  I'd extend MM; but he needs to wake up from his self-induced slumber.  Petine looks good, but too early to fully assess.  It feels like this team is 40% there; a healthy AR lifts them to 65-70%; a good draft and losing some current players and gaining others through UFA could lift them to 85% for next year.  That's not a superbowl winner, but a solid playoff team.  If healthy and with good ball bounces, who knows what could happen.  But to me that's next year, not this year

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
Rogers has taken this team on his shoulders a number of times...at least twice this year...in the past his Relax and Run the table energized the team. We
forget this is a team game.  Lets be honest, the offensive line is a C at best, Graham hasn't played to his salary and the wide receivers are raw save for Adams who is always double teamed and the run game isn't properly used. This is what Rogers has to work with and as a result his stats suffer.  I believe if Jordy was still here, the stats would be better and probably the record also.  Until we improve the offensive line, the young receivers gain experience, the run is used to set up the pass and we have a consistent tight end, Rogers can only do so much; but I don't believe Rogers can overcome these needs alone.

Agree Graham has not and will not live up to his contract.

Disagree with you on the OL, for the most part they have played well this season.

Also disagree about Rodgers, too often on offense the other 10 are doing their jobs and Rodgers is not. Most weeks he appears to not be prepared for the other team. The most eye opening game of this was the Lions game. In watching the all-22 it is embassassing how many wide open WR's were missed, defensive players not within 10 to 15 yards of the WR. Completely blown coverages by the Lions yet Rodgers doesn't even seem to see them. This was also noted after that game by national people who breakdown film, I really thought that Rodgers would be embarrassed by his performance and his play would jumpstart from there. It really hasn't. Most people want to give him a pass and point the finger at others, but right now the biggest problem on that team is Rodgers.   

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »

Agree Graham has not and will not live up to his contract.

Disagree with you on the OL, for the most part they have played well this season.

Also disagree about Rodgers, too often on offense the other 10 are doing their jobs and Rodgers is not. Most weeks he appears to not be prepared for the other team. The most eye opening game of this was the Lions game. In watching the all-22 it is embassassing how many wide open WR's were missed, defensive players not within 10 to 15 yards of the WR. Completely blown coverages by the Lions yet Rodgers doesn't even seem to see them. This was also noted after that game by national people who breakdown film, I really thought that Rodgers would be embarrassed by his performance and his play would jumpstart from there. It really hasn't. Most people want to give him a pass and point the finger at others, but right now the biggest problem on that team is Rodgers.

He's gotten sloppy in his mechanics which also affects his accuracy. A good coach would have corrected it by now.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
GM, you're not seriously comparing Rodgers and Hundley, are you? Takiing stats from a very small sample size can be very misleading. As you've proven. Seriously, in the Rams game, who would you rather have trying to win the game in the waning seconds if Montgomery had taken a knee? Is it Rodgers fault that Jones fumbled, turning the tide of the game as the defense went into meltdown mode? This is not a blanket endorsement of AR. He has not shown leadership during this run. But to posit some kind of equality between the two QB's is absurd.

No, not at all, it points out how much this teams personnel pretty much blows.  I think Gute will keep a small nucleus and blow this thing up as much as he safely can.  .  IMO Rodgers has lost the chip on his shoulder, needs a new HC, and new system he can get hungry again for.  He needs a rejuvination like Brees got in New Orleans.  That wont come from McCarthy's offense IMO.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:35:14 PM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »

No, not at all, it points out how much this teams personnel pretty much blows.  I think Gute will keep a small nucleus and blow this thing up as much as he safely can.  .  IMO Rodgers has lost the chip on his shoulder, needs a new HC, and new system he can get hungry again for.  He needs a rejuvination like Brees got in New Orleans.  That wont come from McCarthy's offense IMO.

Thanks. I totally agree. But not only rejuvenation, but being reined in, much like MM did with Favre. And get the man a running game so all the pressure isn't on him. Ahman Green did wonders for Favre. Whether Jones is that guy, I'm not sure. Is Jones sturdy enough for 20-25 carries a game? Or is he that "change of pace" back that you feed 10-15 times a game after your bigger back has worn down the defense a bit?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

Thanks. I totally agree. But not only rejuvenation, but being reined in, much like MM did with Favre. And get the man a running game so all the pressure isn't on him. Ahman Green did wonders for Favre. Whether Jones is that guy, I'm not sure. Is Jones sturdy enough for 20-25 carries a game? Or is he that "change of pace" back that you feed 10-15 times a game after your bigger back has worn down the defense a bit?
Thats something the possible new coach and Gute can approach.  Im wondering how much, if any, input Rodgers will have on the selection of any new HC.  Do they consult him or is it "Here's our new HC , make it work".