April 24, 2019, 11:12:01 AM

Author Topic: The rest of the season  (Read 2194 times)

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
Re: The rest of the season
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »

We should be able to beat CHI/MINNY head to head and finish out the remaining schedule winning a game or two more than them to take the division. I do feel like we are still a good football team with some hick-ups. In years past we saw TT build the roster to overcome conference rivals like SF and SEA. The most recent is ATL and it looks like GUTE is going after that one. So for me, the ATL game is the true test to see how we would do in the playoffs if we get there. Gotta fix the hick-ups along the way.

Offline JerryA

• Second String
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »
I think we can win out.  D is playing better every week. Now we just have to get AR to take the short quick passes over the middle instead of going for the deep TD stuff.  No need to go for the bombs on 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 4 early.  Yes, maybe with a nice lead that might be a good strategy to put the game away but not very good early or in tight games.  Lets just get the lead!

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 05:43:07 AM »
I think we can win out.  D is playing better every week. Now we just have to get AR to take the short quick passes over the middle instead of going for the deep TD stuff.  No need to go for the bombs on 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 4 early.  Yes, maybe with a nice lead that might be a good strategy to put the game away but not very good early or in tight games.  Lets just get the lead!

Love your enthusiasm! Hope you are right!
“What’s going on out there”

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »

Being optimistic is one thing, but Green Bay has yet to win a road game this year and have road contests still to play at SEA, MN, CHI, and NYJ's.

With the exception of the Jets, do we really have that high of a confidence of beating our division rivals, and SEA (12th man and all)..........in their respective houses..........with an average losing road spread this year of 9.5 points?

That's one mighty high hill to climb, and reading between the lines of what players like Cobb, Rodgers, and others have been saying recently I have reason to worry.

Just my twocents)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
What matters is the game tomorrow. Nothing else. At this point, projecting wins over opponents two or three weeks out is very premature. There are eight games left, and I'm hoping for more games similar to the Bears, which was hugely entertaining and successful, rather than some of the dismal efforts this team has slept walked through this season. At this point, even if the Packers somehow win out, make the playoffs and go deep, they still need a major overhaul from the coaches on down. I'm not giving up, I'm just very disappointed.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »
I fully expect this team to win tomorrow against Miami.  They should.  They are better than Miami and with it going to be 30 degrees and dropping as the game goes on, the Dolphins probably won't put up much of fight. 

But, the Miami game was the expected win of this 5 game stretch.  Going into this string of games, most felt a 1-4 record was probable and if they could get out with a 2-3 record, it would be above expectations.  If - and a big if - the Packers would lose tomorrow, I think we will witness a full blown wheels come off melt down that will lead to a couple of ugly losses at Seattle and Minnesota. 

Reading the article in JS today about Matthews and Perry citing different roles as to why their numbers are down actually kind of re-affirms my feelings about this team.  Instead of the standard that most would seem to be a logical explanation "gotta play better or just not making the plays" the search for an excuse seems to be the way to go about explaining the lack of production.  It sure seemed both of those guys had a ton of one on one chances last Sunday and neither could be found.  Yes the scheme has changed, but both are getting a lot of opportunities to rush the passer and neither are doing it very well. 

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
Then again we lose to LA and NE because of stupid, high school mistakes. I thought we hung in there with both of these teams.  twocents)
“What’s going on out there”

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »
Watched the game tonight and I have to say it does not bode well for us after that.  I think  every Packer fan had to be rooting for Minny.

The Bears looked pretty good tonight, especially in the first half.  But hand it to the Vikes, they did not give up.  Made a game of it in the second half. 

My observations on this one are as follows:

1.) The Mack trade made the Bears defense.  Because now their best DL, Hicks, cannot be double teamed. He had a really good game tonight.   The Bears defense also benefits from the MLB Smith who is almost ideal in the modern game.  And they have two good guys in the secondary, Fuller and  Jackson.

2.) The Bears were so strong on the DL that the Vikes gave up the run.

3.) In that respect, I just wonder if Gute should not have gone all out for Mack, just to keep him away from the Bears. 

4.) I think the Vikes missed on Treadwell.

5.) I also wonder if Cousins was the right guy at QB.  If it had been me I would have stuck with Bridgewater and drafted a QB.  Unlike Bridgewater, Cousins cannot create when he is in trouble.

6.) Trubisky is getting better, but I still do not think he justifies that trade.  Both Mahomes and Watson have  higher upsides than him.  Those two guys are Pro Bowlers, while Mitch looks like a decent starter.  You don't give up two thirds and a fourth for that, when you could have had the other two guys for free. Bad mistake I think.

I would say the two schedules look pretty comparable for us and the Bears.  Plus they get LA at home. While we play them and Minny away.

Right now, its a tough road to traverse I would say.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:25:05 PM by Gregg »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
Then again we lose to LA and NE because of stupid, high school mistakes. I thought we hung in there with both of these teams.  twocents)

And the team loses to Seattle through a series of bad calls, poor execution and general incompetence. At the start of the season, who would have thought the Bears would be the class of the division at this point? Its why they play the games. As for the rest of the season, I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the worst. And, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 04:05:41 AM »
There is a glimmer of hope we could make the playoffs.  Unfortunately, it requires running the table.  Defensively we are better than when we played the Bears, Lions and Vikes before.  Atlanta and the Jets are having a horrible season.  It boils down to the offense scoring TDs and lot less three and outs...not shooting ourselves in the foot with untimely penalties and special teams holding up.  Easier said then done; but this is why the games are played to see who prevails...The key is Rogers and the offense and now is the time for him to shine....

defe

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »
There is more than a glimmer of hope and it doesn't require running the table to make the playoffs, packlaw. In reviewing the playoff picture this morning it seems that 9-6-1 will probably get the Packers in as a wildcard, so another lose is not the end of the season. Add a win this week against the Vikings and the Packers hold the tiebreaker with them. With the way the schedules of the teams in play shake out from there, the Packers would have a strong likelihood of making the playoffs. As for winning the division, yes that probably requires the Packers to win out.

Everything except a first round playoff bye is still in play for the Packers and all it requires is for the Packers (4-5-1) to go to Minnesota this week and get a win against the Vikings (5-4-1). I see a lot of Packers fans have quit on the season, but I doubt the players and coaches have. The end goal is still there to be had and their is enough talent to achieve it. One game at a time.