December 10, 2018, 05:57:24 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Seahawks Game Day Thread  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Seahawks Game Day Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
If you're going praise him when he's great, you have to be willing to criticize him when he's playing below his talent level. Rodgers' problems are correctable, but he has to be willing to correct them. His coach also has to be willing to stand up to him, point out the problems, and hold him accountable. That doesn't seem to be happening any more.

This hits the nail on the head. The thing is, we've been here before, with Favre. Holmgren held him accountable, Sherman gave him carte blanche, and McCarthy reined him in. Now, we see the pattern reoccurring. The thing is, the Packers have to get it right the first time, because they don't have several years to waste on a HC who caters to Rodgers, rather than reining him in and getting him back into the SB again. He's not a kid, so they need someone with some experience who has shown he can bring out the best in a team, even if he is so abrasive he only lasts four or five years. So, how much would it cost to pry Harbaugh from Michigan?

I wouldn't say no to Harbaugh. I loved Favre, but you are right. It's that same vibe where he became bigger than the team and needed someone he'd listen to as coach.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2018, 06:02:16 PM »
It used to be that this offense thrived on getting the ball into play makers hands and then allowed them to get YAC.

It seems now they keep trying to force the deep balls and make the big splash plays. But those types of plays are much less consistently successful, and usually result in much lower YAC.

Just looked at some stats for 2018, and of the players with the best/most YAC this year 10 of the top 15 are RB's. (2 mere TE's and 3 were WR's)

Packers have a dynamic play maker in Aaron Jones. Short passes to him are significantly lower risk, and could offer much more consistent reward than deep passes on 3rd and short.

Indeed, and this is what craig was talking about when mentioning that the completions GB is getting could be much bigger plays and keep the chains moving if Rodgers were more accurate so the receivers could catch the ball in stride and make plays.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
If you're going praise him when he's great, you have to be willing to criticize him when he's playing below his talent level. Rodgers' problems are correctable, but he has to be willing to correct them. His coach also has to be willing to stand up to him, point out the problems, and hold him accountable. That doesn't seem to be happening any more.

This hits the nail on the head. The thing is, we've been here before, with Favre. Holmgren held him accountable, Sherman gave him carte blanche, and McCarthy reined him in. Now, we see the pattern reoccurring. The thing is, the Packers have to get it right the first time, because they don't have several years to waste on a HC who caters to Rodgers, rather than reining him in and getting him back into the SB again. He's not a kid, so they need someone with some experience who has shown he can bring out the best in a team, even if he is so abrasive he only lasts four or five years. So, how much would it cost to pry Harbaugh from Michigan?

I wouldn't say no to Harbaugh. I loved Favre, but you are right. It's that same vibe where he became bigger than the team and needed someone he'd listen to as coach.

I brought up Harbaugh in another thread a few weeks ago as the guy they should go after.  He's doing well at Michigan so I'm not sure how interested he would be.  Im hoping Ohio State can derail his success again, as his record against Ohio St is pretty dismal. Beating Ohio St is a big deal at Michigan.   I think Green Bay could interest him, but after his deal in San Fran, he'd probably want some sort of control, but that's a guess.   Hes a quick fix guy, and I'd get in touch with his agent ASAP to gauge his interest when/if a decision is made on MM.   I believe there are going to be a lot of NFL openings this year (Clev, Jets, Dall, Cin and probably a few more), and we dont want to be late to that party finding a HC.   I think he'd be a great fit in Green Bay for what needs to be done.  JMO   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
I'll throw out the other Harbaugh's name (John), who might be on his way out at BALT.

He already has a relationship with Pettine (was JH's LB coach at BALT).

You find a hot OC prospect for the offense................

He would be better at reigning in Rodgers than a young coach might be.

Plus, they need a QB coach who will critique Rodgers rather than be his "Yes Man"/enabler.

Did I mention he has a SB ring as well?