December 10, 2018, 06:49:20 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 1569 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
This is time for the Packers to turn the season around, or get ready to watch the playoffs from home this season. This is their last real chance to become real contenders, or pretenders. This season has been a monumental disappointment, and the team seems rudderless, with a lot of players expressing frustration, but nobody coming up with solutions. Everyone seems to be looking at the others, waiting for someone else to make "that play" that turns things around. Unfortunately, the plays that have turned things around have all helped the opponent win games the Packers (coulda/shoulda/woulda) possibly won. Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose. Can this team turn it around? Yes. Will they? We'll find out Sunday night.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
This is a huge game for McCarthy's future.  Even winning it may not be enough for him.   This game will tell you a lot about the mindset of this team going forward, and Rodgers body language will be interesting to watch in this one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:18:49 AM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Packers vs. Vikings:
Regular season, all-time: 59-52-3
All-time, Postseason: 1-1
All-time, in Minnesota 28-28
Coaches Head to Head: 4-4-1

As you can see their has been little give in this series in its history. Many of the games have been classic battles, some bringing great joy to Packers fans and others great heartbreak. What does this weeks game hold for each team?

I personally have witnessed some of these games in person and thought it might be interesting if some people may want to share some of their own best or worst memories of this series. Growing up in western Wisconsin as a Packers fan, in a period when the Vikings dominated the Packers year after year on the field, I learned my hate for them at an early age. From 1968-1979 the Packers only won 3 of 23 meetings with the Vikings, but freezing my butt off in Bloomington in December of 1972 is a day this Packers fan will never forget as GB defeated the Purple People Eaters 23-7.

I was not at these games, but who will ever forget Antonio Freeman's amazing catch in OT in 2000(?) or Favre cut the Vikings up on Christmas eve of 2004. Their has been a very long list of great moments. If you have your own, please share.     

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:24 AM »
This is a huge game for McCarthy's future.  Even winning it may not be enough for him.   This game will tell you a lot about the mindset of this team going forward, and Rodgers body language will be interesting to watch in this one.

It is indeed a huge game for Mike McCarthy, his staff and the team. I think people spend way too much time over analyzing Aaron's body language, supposed messages between the lines - next people will be playing his interviews backwards and finding hidden messages.

Aaron Rodgers is a great QB, who has not been playing very well. He and the Green Bay Packers have certainly underachieved to this point in the season and have played themselves to a situation that their backs are against the wall. It is essentially playoff (do or die) football from here on out. The first game of the.i any hope for a playoff run starts on Sunday night. It sure would be great for the Pack to get their first win at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
This is an excerpt about the year the Bears are having this season. Everything that the Packers lack, the Bears dare and achieve. This might be a lesson the next head coach heeds:

In what most were thinking was a false façade in the Bears this season, they are proving the naysayers wrong week in and week out.  Their defensive front dominated the Vikings offensive line and controlled the game from the beginning.  On offense, head coach Matt Nagy continues to be creative in his play calling with a heavy emphasis on his running game.  Nagy also sent a message by keeping his foot on the gas pedal in going for and converting two different two-point conversions against the Vikings when the score didn’t dictate it as necessary.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
This is an excerpt about the year the Bears are having this season. Everything that the Packers lack, the Bears dare and achieve. This might be a lesson the next head coach heeds:

In what most were thinking was a false façade in the Bears this season, they are proving the naysayers wrong week in and week out.  Their defensive front dominated the Vikings offensive line and controlled the game from the beginning.  On offense, head coach Matt Nagy continues to be creative in his play calling with a heavy emphasis on his running game.  Nagy also sent a message by keeping his foot on the gas pedal in going for and converting two different two-point conversions against the Vikings when the score didn’t dictate it as necessary.

The NFL is entering into a new era.  Offense, Offense and more offense.  The Saints, Chiefs, Rams and in some aspects the Bears are helping to turn that page.  The Packers should look towards that as they go forward. 

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »

It is indeed a huge game for Mike McCarthy, his staff and the team. I think people spend way too much time over analyzing Aaron's body language, supposed messages between the lines - next people will be playing his interviews backwards and finding hidden messages.

Aaron Rodgers is a great QB, who has not been playing very well. He and the Green Bay Packers have certainly underachieved to this point in the season and have played themselves to a situation that their backs are against the wall. It is essentially playoff (do or die) football from here on out. The first game of the.i any hope for a playoff run starts on Sunday night. It sure would be great for the Pack to get their first win at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

Played his last interview backwards and I swear I heard him say " I buried Paul"  :)

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »
Nick Perry went on IR.  So Fackrell will start the rest of the year.

That may be an upgrade if Fackrell can keep it up.

Daniels may be gone the rest of the year.  That is a real blow since he is clearly one of our top two DL.

If I am the Vikes, I might try running the ball with those two guys out.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »

The NFL is entering into a new era.  Offense, Offense and more offense.  The Saints, Chiefs, Rams and in some aspects the Bears are helping to turn that page.  The Packers should look towards that as they go forward.

Agree with both you boyz.

The Bears do appear to now have a decent coach and are developing into a solid offensive team that also has a salty defense. In my opinion, both Minnesota and Chicago now have better head coaches than Green Bay.

Looking at the rest of the NFC, there’s a bunch of teams who have hired forward-thinking, innovative HCs who have surrounded themselves with assistants and players equipped to succeed in the evolving NFL. The Packer High Command-especially McCarthy and Zook, but also including Murphy, have fallen behind the times.

In Other News: Jake Kumerow won’t be playing tonight...so the any added punch to the offense will need to come from elsewhere. It’s also time for “coach Zook’s” special teams to stop negating long kick returns with bone-head penalties. The only way the Packers win tonight, I think, is if the defense, special teams, or both generate at least 14 points, and I’m talking over and above any Mason Crosby field goals.

Offline JerryA

• Second String
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
I made this prediction last week for the seattle game.  We didn't hit on 1  and 5 and we lost.  I will say the same thing about tonight's game with the 1 and 5 having the most weight.

Packers 27 Seattle 16.
1. AR has an good but not great game. Takes the under neat stuff to convert the 3 rd downs.
2. Jones has a good game, not great but rushes for 100 +.
3. Defense has been trending upward so they will take another step upwand and will have their best game to date containing both the rushing game and passing game to average yards.
4. We are better without Cobb....Both rookies are better and will make key plays.
5. The one I'm worried about the most is the ST. If they just play average and do nothing stupid we should be OK.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
#Packers inactives:

WR Randall Cobb
CB Kevin King
CB Bashaud Breeland
DE Mike Daniels
QB Tim Boyle
OT Alex Light
S Raven Greene

In will be interesting to see how they handle the DB's tonight, awfully light on the backend help. Can't have a rash of injuries there tonight.

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
The little things matter and often go over looked - Davonte, you have to know where you are on the field

Offline yourout

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
Hell of a play by Alexander.

Offline yourout

• Second String
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
At least I don't have to bitch about Nick Perry anymore.

Offline yourout

• Second String
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
That was nice.
Solid drive. Good mix.