December 10, 2018, 06:37:06 PM

Author Topic: What now...  (Read 1001 times)

Offline packlaw

• Second String
What now...
« on: November 26, 2018, 05:01:05 AM »
3% chance to make the playoffs if we run the table and lots of help. What now, planning for next year.  Who do we keep and what do we need.  This team needs to rebuild with out a doubt.  On offense, Cobb and Allison are liabilities, Graham is a bust and we need two new guards, youth at tackle and a backup center.  On defense, goodbye to Perry, Mathews and Williams. We need an veteran safety to go along with our younger safeties.  A pass rusher is a must.  We have draft picks; but a few good free agents is a necessity at pass rusher and safety.  Chicago is the model for bold and smart free agent moves.  The Rams, New Orleans, Kansas City are the offensive models.  They have rushers and good quarterbacks.  So do we; but they are in tune with the new NFL and we are stuck in another era of West Coast offense and offshoot.  Sadly, we need a new head coach because McCarthy will not change his ways and will not hire the new breed of OC nor give him the authority to change the system.  So what are the pluses.  Rogers, Jones, Adams and young, tall, fast wide receivers with a year under their belt.  A good defensive line, good young corners as long as they stay healthy, a kicker and a good punter.  Special teams need an upgrade; but the draft can handle that.  If these changes are implemented, there will be a new enthusiasm by the players which is not present now.  Hopefully, it will reinvigorate Rogers to his previous level.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:59:39 PM by LMG »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: What now...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »
One step at a time.  First things first, another special teams F'up last night with Williams and the punt.  Zook should be looking for a job this morning.  JMO.

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
Time for a new head coach.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »
I also think that MM should be gone at the end of year.

AR is just playing like his heart is not in it. 

On defense, I have always thought that we should play a 4-3.  And I really think we could do that if we drafted correctly in the first round.

I think our secondary is good enough, maybe better than that. We just need a better pass rush.

On offense, I don't think we are that far away.  I think one of our young guys will turn out to be a good number two.  Our OL might need an upgrade at RG. And a better back up than Spriggs at tackle.

But in addition to the extra draft picks we have, if we let go of Cobb, Perry and CM 3, we will have some money to bring in FA's. 

I do not think this is a bottom up overhaul.  As long as we have AR, Adams, and Jones on offense, we are respectable.  On defense, we have Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowry and a good young secondary.

Offline IBV

• Second String
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
Well , not that Gutey would ever listen to me but if he did , this is what I would tell him , first of all , MM has to go , next , at the Draft , with our first pick ( might be top 12 ) go get an edge rusher , with NO's pick , go get a safety , ang with our pick in the second Rd. , go get a Guard .

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
Call him and let me know what he says.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
I also think that MM should be gone at the end of year.

AR is just playing like his heart is not in it. 

On defense, I have always thought that we should play a 4-3.  And I really think we could do that if we drafted correctly in the first round.

I think our secondary is good enough, maybe better than that. We just need a better pass rush.

On offense, I don't think we are that far away.  I think one of our young guys will turn out to be a good number two.  Our OL might need an upgrade at RG. And a better back up than Spriggs at tackle.

But in addition to the extra draft picks we have, if we let go of Cobb, Perry and CM 3, we will have some money to bring in FA's. 

I do not think this is a bottom up overhaul.  As long as we have AR, Adams, and Jones on offense, we are respectable.  On defense, we have Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowry and a good young secondary.

I think that might take a big overhaul, and might take more than one draft. But you might get a good start on building a solid 4-3 if it went something like this.

Lowry isn't best suited as a 4-3 DE, so I don't know if he stays or goes. Looney would be a good fit. Daniels, Clark, Adams can all play interior DL in a 4-3. Would Lancaster be good enough? Or Simon?

I think it would take signing a 4-3 DE in free agency, and then drafting 2 of them in the draft. Or, maybe if Perry stays, he gets used at his more natural position?

Martinez and Toomer could play ILB, Burks and Fackrell could play weakside/cover OLB, strongside LB is a question mark in my mind.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
Here is an interesting take on what needs to be done. Though the list of players the tweeter suggests could be cut seems overly harsh. Especially Crosby. This off-season will tell us a lot about where the power lies in this organizaiton. Major changes, and Gutekunst has a free hand to reshape the team. Incremental changes and second tier FA's to plug perceived gaps? Then Gutekunst has lost the power struggle. The most important take, though, is the willingness of Rodgers to put up with major changes. He doesn't seem at all happy this year, and if next year sees a major overhaul, will he be on board, or go overboard? Stay tuned.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/thats-all-folks-the-packers-2018-post-mortem-120
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
I think this guy is right overall.

We have to be willing to make the tough decisions.  I would even go further than he does in some respects.  I would be willing to release Cobb, and CM 3.  If we went to a 4-3 then Perry might fit in at DE. 

But the point is, with that much money on the table and with the extra draft picks, if we pick correctly its not a major overhaul.  There is a really good piece on the Rams 2017 draft at SI MMQB and how Snead, Phillips, and McVay hit on five draft picks without a number one and how they all fit in to the team concept they had.

From what I can see, we have an extra fourth and first to do the work, plus what we can sign by cutting some slack.  I don't see that as a major overhaul.  As this team has some good elements to it on both offense and defense.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
I know it's heresy, and it was only 8 drafts ago that we went offense in round 1 (the great Sherrod). 

But I wonder if this might not be the year to use one or even both first round picks on offense? 

The pass rush seems very problematic, for sure.   

But to me it seems like the passing game isn't good enough to be competitive for now. 

Somehow the passing game needs to improve if the Packers hope to get back to the playoffs. 

Offline packlaw

• Second String
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
Ricky if you are referring to me as the twitter, you read my post incorrectly.  I indicated Cosby and the punter were pluses.  I indicated the special team makeup needs an overhaul. 

Offline ramrod

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
I would hope for at least one splash signing. Either Collins (if he isn't tagged) or a trade for Chandler Jones. (should take a 4rth)
Also we need a slot guy. Don't know if or not Kummerow is that guy, or not.
So safety, edge rusher, guard, right tackle, and maybe a defensive end.
Some of that cap money will go to extending Martinez and Clark. But we should still be able to get at least two quality starters in free agency. The rest will be draft picks. And if you are lucky to find that d I amond in the rough off the street.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
I don't think of MM as a "bad" coach, but I DO think of him as a stubborn one. I think it's time to part ways. We really need a new offensive mind that can keep up with the rest of league.

Offense: The OL, while productive in the run this season, makes me nervous. We really haven't gotten much out of Spriggs, Murphy, Bell or McCray (not to mention Cole Madison from this year) and Bulaga has a hard time staying healthy. I feel more confident at RB and WR as we have plenty of good, young talent there. I'm not sure what to make of TE. Lots of free agents, no substantial production.

Defense: Pass rushers, pass rushers, pass rushers. Every year I hope for substantial investments in pass rushers and every year, I'm left scratching my head. I am still a believer in Clay Matthews but he's rarely ever had a good complement aside from one good year from Perry and a couple of good years with a part-time Peppers. I wouldn't bat an eye if we made a pair of early round investments here. I feel pretty good about the DL but feel like we may need a better veteran presence somewhere in the defensive backfield.

I think if we get a fresh prospective on offense, that will help revitalize Rodgers, then start replenishing a mediocre roster, we will be talking about playoff runs in late 2019 and into 2020.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
My wife forwarded this article to me, so here it is. Provocative, to say the least. Starts out pretty straight forward, then veers into conspiracy, then goes completely off the rails. The "Rodgers is tanking" idea isn't original, but certainly is interesting. Anyone know if Mulder and Scully are available for consultation?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/26/18112156/green-bay-packers-minnesota-vikings-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
Here is an interesting take on what needs to be done. Though the list of players the tweeter suggests could be cut seems overly harsh. Especially Crosby. This off-season will tell us a lot about where the power lies in this organizaiton. Major changes, and Gutekunst has a free hand to reshape the team. Incremental changes and second tier FA's to plug perceived gaps? Then Gutekunst has lost the power struggle. The most important take, though, is the willingness of Rodgers to put up with major changes. He doesn't seem at all happy this year, and if next year sees a major overhaul, will he be on board, or go overboard? Stay tuned.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/thats-all-folks-the-packers-2018-post-mortem-120

I am pretty much on board with the cuts listed - except, I think Crosby stays and Matthews is added to the list.  I can live with Lane Taylor, he is an average G, a middle of the pack LG in the league.  But, if you cut Bulaga, and it is time I think to do that, cutting Taylor really puts the OL in total rebuild mode.  A RG is already needed, so to replace 3 OL is a lot. 

Defensively, no doubt, an edge rusher and a safety are musts.  Another DL added to Clark and Daniels would also be a nice addition, but not necessarily a need. 

Coaching - well, unless this team gets into the playoffs and wins a game there, I think the need for a new staff has to happen.  The message of MM sure seems to have grown old on this team and a move is needed to inject new energy into the team. 

Summarizing - Needs on offense - in order of importance - LT, LG, TE.  Defense - OLB, S, DL. 

The cupboard is not bare, but the overall talent level has declined.  The misses of 2015 haunts this team and the philosophy of draft and develop by TT can not be carried over by Gute.  It is time to move into the 21st century of free agent football and stop the non-sense of hoping un-drafted free agents can step in an play instead of known commodities.  In order to return to a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, Gute is going to have to take some shots in free agency.