August 25, 2019, 05:16:08 PM

Author Topic: Which 2nd and/or 3rd year...  (Read 1317 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Which 2nd and/or 3rd year...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 04:31:54 PM »
Great addition and info Danno! I thought about adding Tongan as a 2nd year guy not to sleep on. He seems to have a GREAT combination of intellect and athleticism.

Thanks B. The other thing that has caught my eye is that he wants to be great and is doing the things necessary to move in that direction, like working with George Kittle (SF 49'rs) this off season.

Reminds me of young guys who would work out with, and learn from, the best of the best. Chris Carter, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald have all had younger players workout with them and learn from them.

Will be interesting to see if it helps Tonyan grow the way he wants to.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
Adams is young defensive linemen who belong in this year 2/3 leap conversation IMO

Montravius Adams at 6’4’ 309 lbs had some early injury setbacks that delayed his development at the NFL level. However, the 23 year old seemed to really begin to pick up his game late last season, showing some of what got scouts excited about after his impressive senior season that included 8.5 tackles for a loss, with 4.5 sacks, an interception and a couple of fumble recoveries on an impressive Auburn defense. A senior season that earned him 2nd team All-American honors. Maylock and McShay called him ”the most explosive defensive lineman at the Senior Bowl.”

Montravius has physically and emotionally matured to the level that I expect a significant leap forward in season 3 – especially given the upgrade in speed, athleticism and talent around him on the Packers defense this season.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
Adams is young defensive linemen who belong in this year 2/3 leap conversation IMO

Montravius Adams at 6’4’ 309 lbs had some early injury setbacks that delayed his development at the NFL level. However, the 23 year old seemed to really begin to pick up his game late last season, showing some of what got scouts excited about after his impressive senior season that included 8.5 tackles for a loss, with 4.5 sacks, an interception and a couple of fumble recoveries on an impressive Auburn defense. A senior season that earned him 2nd team All-American honors. Maylock and McShay called him ”the most explosive defensive lineman at the Senior Bowl.”

Montravius has physically and emotionally matured to the level that I expect a significant leap forward in season 3 – especially given the upgrade in speed, athleticism and talent around him on the Packers defense this season.

Good catch B.

Adams missed his entire rookie training camp because of the broken bone in his foot. That pretty much stunted his entire rookie campaign.

This years training camp will really be only his 2nd full camp, so it could become a year when we see him begin to stand out in the crowd.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »

Good catch B.

Adams missed his entire rookie training camp because of the broken bone in his foot. That pretty much stunted his entire rookie campaign.

This years training camp will really be only his 2nd full camp, so it could become a year when we see him begin to stand out in the crowd.

Not only will it be an athletic and talented group the Packers defensive line overall is very young with plenty of developmental upside:

Rashan Gary is only 21, Keke Kingley is 22, Kenny Clark, and Montravius Adams are only 23 years old and Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster and James Looney are 24’. Za’Darius Smith and Fadol Brown are 26
Mike Daniels is the Grey-beard of the bunch, having turned 30 a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:11:16 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 01:56:59 PM »
Defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery:
(On Montravius Adams)
He was a lot different player last year than he was the year before. He’s taken the right steps. The guy came back in tremendous shape. He looks a lot different body wise than he does a year ago. He understands this is how he provides for his family and I need to do everything I can do to be the best player I can be.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 06:01:20 AM »
speaking of young defensive linemen...

One of the most pleasant surprise performances last season was the emergence on UDFA Tyler Lancaster. We knew the former defensive captain of the 9th nationally ranked defense at Northwestern was as strong as an ox based on his remarkable 36 reps on the bench, but we learned by watching him play that he can move shockingly well for a big man.

With the defensive line the Packers have this season, Lancaster is going to be a rotational player, but given his production, a pretty damned valuable one, especially on run downs. According to Pro Football Focus, no interior defensive lineman had more run stops over the final six games of the season than Lancaster.

Given his unexpected performance as a rookie, I am not sure how fair it is to lay too high of expectation on Tyler related to a 2nd year leap, but I can tell you it won’t be because this 6’3’ 313 pound 24 year old gets out worked during the off-season, in practice or on game day.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »
Sorry that I can't remember who wrote it but they rated Green Bay as having the best d-line in the league. When I first read it I was struck by the fact it wasn't done by a Packer fan, at least I didn't recognize them as one, and the reasons were exactly what this subject is touching on....Clark, Daniels, and either Lowry or Adams (also talked about his improvement) as the starters with Lancaster coming in to stop the run.

Adding Keke and those big OLBs...it will be hard to move those guys around for running yards. One player who's made some news for the Packers, not in a good way, Josh Jones is a player I see making that jump in performance. He'll want out and to do it he will have to show the league he can play. This may be the biggest incentive he has ever had in his life. If he's a baller, then he is going to be lights out this season. IF not...he'll whine himself to the unemployment line.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
...Clark, Daniels, and either Lowry or Adams (also talked about his improvement) as the starters with Lancaster coming in to stop the run.  Adding Keke and those big OLBs...it will be hard to move those guys around for running yards. .....

Agree.  This has a chance to be a really elite run-defense.  And the more 3rd downs a defense forces, the more chances you have to get a stop. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 07:03:29 AM »
Sorry that I can't remember who wrote it but they rated Green Bay as having the best d-line in the league. When I first read it I was struck by the fact it wasn't done by a Packer fan, at least I didn't recognize them as one, and the reasons were exactly what this subject is touching on....Clark, Daniels, and either Lowry or Adams (also talked about his improvement) as the starters with Lancaster coming in to stop the run.

Adding Keke and those big OLBs...it will be hard to move those guys around for running yards. One player who's made some news for the Packers, not in a good way, Josh Jones is a player I see making that jump in performance. He'll want out and to do it he will have to show the league he can play. This may be the biggest incentive he has ever had in his life. If he's a baller, then he is going to be lights out this season. IF not...he'll whine himself to the unemployment line.

The article was on Bleacher Report and I posted a link to it on the 2019-20 Defense thread, reply #16.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 07:05:31 AM »
RT, I knew you probably had it. Just too early to get my brain thinking this morning.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!