December 10, 2018, 06:46:07 PM

Author Topic: What now...  (Read 1002 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: What now...
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
Here is an interesting take on what needs to be done. Though the list of players the tweeter suggests could be cut seems overly harsh. Especially Crosby. This off-season will tell us a lot about where the power lies in this organizaiton. Major changes, and Gutekunst has a free hand to reshape the team. Incremental changes and second tier FA's to plug perceived gaps? Then Gutekunst has lost the power struggle. The most important take, though, is the willingness of Rodgers to put up with major changes. He doesn't seem at all happy this year, and if next year sees a major overhaul, will he be on board, or go overboard? Stay tuned.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/thats-all-folks-the-packers-2018-post-mortem-120

I am pretty much on board with the cuts listed - except, I think Crosby stays and Matthews is added to the list.  I can live with Lane Taylor, he is an average G, a middle of the pack LG in the league.  But, if you cut Bulaga, and it is time I think to do that, cutting Taylor really puts the OL in total rebuild mode.  A RG is already needed, so to replace 3 OL is a lot. 

Defensively, no doubt, an edge rusher and a safety are musts.  Another DL added to Clark and Daniels would also be a nice addition, but not necessarily a need. It's absolutely a need, because Clark, Daniels, and Lowry are all UFA in 2020.

Coaching - well, unless this team gets into the playoffs and wins a game there, I think the need for a new staff has to happen.  The message of MM sure seems to have grown old on this team and a move is needed to inject new energy into the team. 

Summarizing - Needs on offense - in order of importance - LT, LG, TE.  Defense - OLB, S, DL. 

The cupboard is not bare, but the overall talent level has declined.  The misses of 2015 haunts this team and the philosophy of draft and develop by TT can not be carried over by Gute.  It is time to move into the 21st century of free agent football and stop the non-sense of hoping un-drafted free agents can step in an play instead of known commodities.  In order to return to a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, Gute is going to have to take some shots in free agency.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
Ricky if you are referring to me as the twitter, you read my post incorrectly.  I indicated Cosby and the punter were pluses.  I indicated the special team makeup needs an overhaul.

Not at all. The author of the article included a tweet from someone that had a list of players currently on the Packers and how much could be saved by cutting them. Crosby was on the list at a "savings" of about $3.4 million. But then you don't have a very reliable kicker.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
 I don't agree with cutting that list, you clear all that cap space and have no team? No way to replace all those players with better options in free agency and we don't have limitless draft picks. Some of those could be traded instead of cut also. Gute will make some moves to clear more cap space and have plenty to go after a few big free agents. Free agency looks good right now, but that will change a bit when teams start extending their own players.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
Firing the coach is an easy answer isn't it?

I really have been disconnected in following the Packers mainly because of the nfl. That however is another story.

Last night I watched out of more curiosity than anyhing and was really miffed and not knowing hardly any DB player names. Then all the injuries!!

Wow that's all on the HC isn't it?

How about calling out the guy that GETS the players for the HC and his assitants to work with?

Fickle fans...even Packer fans!!

If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
Chicago showed this year what you can accomplish something with a change in coach and being aggressive in the player mart.  It looks like they will take the division with GB possibly in third.

The way I look at MM is this: the guy is supposed to be a fine OC, QB coach.  In 13 years he had two HOF quarterbacks. Teams would kill to have a HOF quarterback. He had two.  But I would actually go beyond that.  If you look at the 26 modern QB's in the HOF today, Favre and AR would be better than half of them.  In fact, if I had to choose the top 15 quarterbacks in history, those two would be there.

What did MM do in 13 years with two all time great QB's? He won one SB. And how long ago was that?

Compare that with what BB has done with Brady.  Or what SF did with Young and Montana. Or what Dallas did with Aikman.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:10:46 AM by Gregg »

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
As for DL, let's see how adams pans out.  Wilkerson is pretty good, but if ND's DT (Tulley is out there in with our 2nd or 3rd pick), then pull the plug.  Speed kills as does passion!!!!

Last year was a good year for QB's, this year so so.  It is time to get a replacement for Rodgers as last year will be his last here!  We've held on too long and haven't built around him properly!!!!!!  Great athlete and player, upper management failed him!!!!!!!!  Let's get what we can in a trade.  Denver or Oakland might give us a few decent picks!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
As for DL, let's see how adams pans out.  Wilkerson is pretty good, but if ND's DT (Tulley is out there in with our 2nd or 3rd pick), then pull the plug.  Speed kills as does passion!!!!

Last year was a good year for QB's, this year so so.  It is time to get a replacement for Rodgers as last year will be his last here!  We've held on too long and haven't built around him properly!!!!!!  Great athlete and player, upper management failed him!!!!!!!!  Let's get what we can in a trade.  Denver or Oakland might give us a few decent picks!

You have mentioned trading Rodgers in two different postings today, but their is zero chance he is traded for at the least 3 more years. He could of been traded last off season, but after he signed his new deal this summer the Packers have to live with him.

Dead cap money by year for Rodgers,

2018 - 80,300,000.00

2019 - 59,400,000.00

2020 - 34,500,000.00

2021 - 23,000,000.00

First real potential out of Rodgers contract is 2022 with a hit of 11,500,000.00

Their will be no parting of ways with Aaron Rodgers for awhile.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:19:24 PM by RT »

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
I am not for trading AR either.

If that was even thinkable at all, it would have been last year before he signed. 

AR is still one of the top five QBs in the NFL. He just needs a new coach, bolder ideas,  and maybe one or two players on offense to recharge him.