December 10, 2018, 06:41:12 PM

Author Topic: Claim Kareem Hunt?  (Read 522 times)

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
Claim Kareem Hunt?
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt has just been cut as a result of a hotel altercation in Cleveland earlier this year. TMZ published the surveillance video showing Hunt pushing a woman in the hallway, twice, and lightly kicking her. After reviewing the video of the incident and of the police interviews with the alleged victim and other witnesses, I say......GB should consider putting in a waiver claim for Hunt.

Why? It's quite clear from those videos that the woman is lying to the police. She's painting herself as an innocent victim, minding her own business, who was inexplicably assailed by Hunt. The video clearly shows that to be false. She's aggressive and the instigator of whatever is happening. She approaches Hunt, who shoves her out of his space, twice. Then Hunt gets pulled back into his room by another guy and girl. A few moments later Hunt re-emerges and tries to free himself from someone restraining him. In the process, he rams into a guy who was preventing the girl from following Hunt into his room. That guy had just been aggressively shoved by the girl. After being contacted from behind by Hunt, the guy falls forward and ends up pushing the girl down in front of him. The girl, drunk according to other witnesses, gets up briefly, then goes down into a squat position. At that point, Hunt approaches and lightly kicks her in the butt, not even knocking her over, before returning to the room.

What happened here wasn't in any way comparable to what Ray Rice did, which was disgusting. This was a guy defending himself, albeit too aggressively, from a women getting in his face and instigating a confrontation at the door of his hotel room. After investigating, no charges were filed by police. They apparently didn't think a crime was committed. In the wake of the Rice incident, the Chiefs have seemingly made a PR decision in order to avoid any backlash. What Hunt did might warrant some type of suspension, but it isn't the type of offense that should impact his career, long-term. Some team will likely claim him, he's a top player on his rookie deal. Adrian Peterson has done far worse, to a child, and he's still playing. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Claim Kareem Hunt?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
Here's the video. No audio, unfortunately. Watch and decide for yourself.

https://www.turnto23.com/tmz-surveillance-video-catches-nfl-player-kareem-hunt-attacking-woman

Gregg also has this video before I posted, so credit where it is due.

Will anyone take a chance on signing him? As noted, its not as clear cut as the Rice tape, but then again, this is a guy (a professional football player) going after a woman. Seems this is similar to the case where Joe Mixon punched a woman in a bar who he was arguing with after she shoved him. He dropped in the draft but got to play. This is no where as egregious. And in the age of "Me Too", and the Rice incident, hitting a woman is simply not acceptable. Even though it seems that everyone's judgement was probably impaired by alcohol.  Here is the Mixon incident, caught on tape of course:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2425707/moment-american-football-player-breaks-a-girls-jaw-after-punching-her-into-table-at-a-restaurant/

So, should the Packers take a flier on him? Is he "Packers people"? How bad would the protest be for any team signing him? Even though Washington is taking a chance with Foster, and this is his second accusation. Does talent outweigh decency? KC says no, and he was an important part of their success.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:32:27 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:15:22 AM »
The NFL put Hunt on the commissioner's exempt list earlier Friday night, meaning if another team does sign him, he can't play in or attend games until the investigation is over and a decision on potential discipline is made. He would not count against the team's 53-man roster.

Kareem Hunt's NFL Career
• Chiefs' 3rd-round pick in 2017
• Led NFL in rushing last season as a rookie (6th rookie to do it since the 1970 merger)
• Set Chiefs rookie record in rushing yards (1,327) and yards from scrimmage (1,782)
• Became first player in NFL history to begin his career with a 50-yard TD in 3 straight games

Hunt led the NFL in rushing as a rookie with 1,327 yards and eight touchdowns in helping Kansas City qualify for the playoffs. This season, he has run for 824 yards and seven touchdowns in 11 games and has seven TDs receiving.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Sancho746

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
I would put in a claim. Combo of Jones, Hunt, and Williams is pretty damn good depth. This is not a Joe Mixon or Ray Rice incident. His actions need to be addressed, but I’d be fine with adding him

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Id claim him and give him a short leash.  Hes young and too good to pass on.  Let him know if he gets a jaywalking ticket or anything close he is out.  Hes the perfect player to give a second chance to.   I don't think they'll do it, and I understand if they don't, but Id seriously look into claiming him.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:45:11 PM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
Listened to a little sports talk radio this afternoon, and someone brought up whether this was a recurring pattern, or a one time failure. Alcohol was involved (though Hunt and others had hired a bus to take them around, rather than drive after drinking), and the young woman was being very belligerent. However, there are better ways to handle things like this, including hotel security and/or the police if necessary. Taking things into your own hands after drinking (or even completely sober) is never a good idea. Especially if the encounter is between a physically imposing male and a female, even if she is being obnoxious.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »
The last place you want him is with Nagy (former KC OC) and the Bears.  If we pass, I hope he doesnt make it to Chicago.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
According to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, Hunt is unlikely to get claimed before Monday's deadline at 4 p.m. ET:

"'I don't think anyone claims him,' one general manager told ESPN.

"Another GM told ESPN that there is 'no chance' that Hunt gets claimed while a third GM said he 'can't imagine' a team claiming Hunt.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:00:42 PM »
IMO, I don't think he will play this year.

I think the NFL will suspend him for 8 games.  Maybe more.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »
Watched the video really didn't think much of it.  Really in this environment I think this is overblown.  That being said don't know if any team wants to deal with the PR fallout.  We need another decent back besides Jones.  I'd investigate his background fully and if he's a decent guy I'd go ahead and put in the claim.  Take the PR hit it will blow over anyway.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
I'd investigate his background fully and if he's a decent guy I'd go ahead and put in the claim. 

Vague reports of trouble in high school, which is why no division I school took him.
Reports of a bar fight earlier this year, after the woman thing.
Interrogated by the Chiefs, lied about what happened.
Sits for the anthem.
On the commissioner's S.L., Extremely unlikely he plays again this year. Major questions if he plays at all next year. Best case he sits for about the first 4 games or so next year. Worst case he sits for the entire year and no decision is made until 2020.

It's really not at all clear he's a "decent guy." It's really not at all clear he's learned his lesson.

I live in KC, people here are just sick about this: 50 years of waiting for a legitimate SB chance, and now this to a key player. One must question if he would do this to our team too - get in trouble and lie about it. In the middle of a SB run.

I think I understand why it's said no GM will claim him. I think, like a nice pork butt roast, he has to simmer for a lot longer before he's ready.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
Another incident at a bar has been revealed/uncovered/claimed. Maybe the MMA would be a better place for Hunt.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/03/man-told-kansas-city-police-in-january-that-kareem-hunt-kicked-him-in-bar-fight/

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
If all of that in the story is accurate, how did the NFL and the Chiefs miss it all?

How did this guy last this long with that record?

And then he lies about what happened at the hotel?

As I said, he very likely will not play this year.  And he will be suspended for a large part of next year, if no the whole year.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »
I expect he will get the Ray Rice treatment and his NFL career is over. It is a privilege, not a right to play in the NFL.