December 10, 2018, 06:08:17 PM

Author Topic: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss  (Read 1597 times)

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin will serve as the interim coach for the final four games.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »
Not to say it wasn't expected - but I am shocked that it happened today!!  I thought he would make it through the rest of the season, but after the lackluster effort today, a decision had to be made. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »
Surprising, but in a good way. This sends a clear message that the old ways of doing things isn't going to be tolerated. That the team will not wait around and be "nice", but fish rather than just cut bait. Personally, I wish he's have had the chance to retire with some dignity, but on the other hand, this needed to be done, and the team decided sooner was better than later. Philbin is stepping in, and it'll be interesting to see if Jones sees the field more, or if Rodgers is moving the offense at a quicker pace, or if it'll be more of the "same old, same old". If this team can at least play with some life and urgency, this move will have been justified. Because "The Turk" is going to be especially busy this off-season.

This blurb from PFT is especially timely now: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/02/mike-mccarthy-ive-never-been-in-this-spot/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:14:39 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
Unlike many here, I'm stunned.

I'd previously estimated we were looking at pick 10. this could mean pick 13.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »

Good move to get a start on the search.  McCarthy is a good coach who needs to go elsewhere.  Say what you want but he never threw his players under the bus.  Not even Hundley. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:17:06 PM by The GM »

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
McCarthy is not catching balls that hit him in the hands and is under throwing his receivers...oh wait no that’s the players....but let’s blame the coach.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:23:55 PM by marklawrence »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
When all is said and done, MM did win 125 games and led the team to a Super Bowl Championship.  While under achieving by most accounts in the post season, it is hard to ignore the wins and success.  It will be interesting to see how MM's legacy is considered in Green Bay.  Ted Thompson is going into the Packer Hall of Fame - gotta believe Mike McCarthy also will. 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
McCarthy is not catching balls that hit him in the hands and is under throwing his receivers...oh wait no that’s the players....but let’s blame the coach.

After years of bad game management and underporming teams you still want MM in the driver seat
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Now, the question is going to be if the Packers finish the year going 4-0, and that would include going into Chicago and winning, does Joe Philbin become a candidate to be the head coach next season??

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
Unlike many here, I'm stunned.

I'd previously estimated we were looking at pick 10. this could mean pick 13.

I also was surprised. But after some consideration, take a look around the league, and there is your answer. The Giants, Cowboys, Seattle, and several other teams who could have rolled over and played out the string have instead turned things around. The Packers haven't. They are still the same uninspired, mistake prone bunch of guys waiting for (a) someone else to do something, or (b) something to go wrong. This team doesn't believe in itself. It lacks direction, identity or any kind of consistency. Its as if MM and AR are playing off of different game plans. It seems that Rodgers has simply given up, that though he is not tanking, he is simply running the plays McCarthy is sending in, and watching the offense implode as a result. I no longer believe there is much doubt who is at fault for Aaron Jones not getting the ball more often- that is clearly on McCarthy.

But, this is also a very dangerous time. Because the next HC will have to be the right pick. Rodgers had his 35th birthday today, and hasn't been a dominating QB for several years. Can he return to form? Only if the new coach can force him to change, to return to the uptempo, move the chains, catch the other team with guys on the field for those "free plays" where he can air it out with no concern. The team will have one chance to get it right, as they did when MM brought Favre back under control. 

Offline packlaw

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
The presser sealed his fate when he stated he hasn't been doing a good job and he has never been in this position and didn't know what he was going to do. This change was absolutely necessary although the timing was unexpected.  It has been a bad two years for him.  When Rodgers went down last year, it became apparent his backup wasn't ready after all of McCarthy's tutoring.  This year he wasn't able to get the offense in sync.  He under utilized Jones and didn't get Rodgers to take what the offense offered.  His offense was known to all who faced the Packers and contained.  How many three in outs in the last three important games, Seahawks, Vikings and today. His playoff record was not great and his playoff losses were memorable.  He did bring the Packers to the playoffs on a regular basis and won a Superbowl: but he had Aaron Rodgers in his prime and made only one Superbowl appearance.  He was one of the better coaches of his era; but he was no Belichek.  He belongs in the Packer hall of fame and ranks with Holmgren in the Packers' pantheon of coaches and below Lombardi and Lambeau.  I wish he retired; but the Packer's had to think of the future. The rest of season would of been unbearable for the players working under a lame duck coach.  I wish him well and thank him for many years of winning.  Players get old and coaches get stale.  McCarthy needs and Packers need a new direction.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »
Now, the question is going to be if the Packers finish the year going 4-0, and that would include going into Chicago and winning, does Joe Philbin become a candidate to be the head coach next season??

Would he get an interview? Sure. Would they hire him? Highly doubtful, unless he was able to turn this offense around in a big way. And that would mean suddenly looking like the Saints for the final four games.

Then again, my thinking was different a while ago:

Online ricky
HOF Member

View Profile

Rodgers seeking "opt out" clause in new contract?
« on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
This is just a rumor. But it's coming from some rather solid sources. Whether this is just one of those "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" requests, or if this is a way to get the contract structured more to AR's liking, or something else, we'll see when the new contract is finalized.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/01/report-aaron-rodgers-looking-for-opt-out-clause-in-next-contract/

But, there may be other possibilities, and have at least a pinch of salt available for my personal conspiracy theory. So, the Packers hired Philbin, a guy Rodgers likes a lot. Meanwhile, MM has been around for 13 seasons. And was only extended one year, through 2019, so if he is replaced, there would be less of a cash loss if he was not retained (read: fired). And the team now has a new GM (and new GM's tend to want to hire their own guys), a new DC (forced on him by the front office?) and, of course, the return of Philbin, who has head coaching experience in Miami (not a great resume from there, but apparently well respected in GB). So, if the Packers don't win the SB this season- and I think anything less than that will be seen as unacceptable (again, JMO), then they already have a well respected HC in the wings, who already has a lot of positive experience with the team. So, could Rodgers wanting more leverage have something to do with simply wanting a new HC in GB? Admittedly, this is all based on speculation and spinning current events with a conspiratorial eye.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/02/packers-signed-coach-mike-mccarthy-one-year-extension-during-2017-season/996751001/
Report to moderator     67.143.176.126
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:01:54 PM by ricky »

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »

Would he get an interview? Sure. Would they hire him? Highly doubtful, unless he was able to turn this offense around in a big way. And that would mean suddenly looking like the Saints for the final four games.

Philbin was extremely unimpressive as the dolphins HC. A weird trend I've noticed is that many Holmgren proteges went on to have great careers and win championships, all of McCarthys proteges have failed miserably as head coaches. Wonder if there is anything to that.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
Long overdue, just shocked the Pack had the guts to do it in-season. Barely beating the Niners at home before the bye should have been a wake-up call. Losing to the worst team in football at home by playing completely apathetic football couldn't be ignored.