December 10, 2018, 06:17:12 PM

Author Topic: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss  (Read 1598 times)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »

Good move to get a start on the search.  McCarthy is a good coach who needs to go elsewhere.  Say what you want but he never threw his players under the bus.  Not even Hundley.

Agreed on all counts, and frankly I think Murphy did McCarthy a solid by letting him go now. On the surface it may not seem he’s been allowed to “retire with dignity.” But I doubt he’s ready to retire, and it frees him from getting hammered by media and fans the rest of this lost season.

Philbin, on the other hand, may be able to salvage a couple wins the remaining four games.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:35:44 PM by JQ »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
Im not sure you make this move right now unless you have someone in mind.  The backchannels are very active with coaches agents this time of year.  I wouldnt be surprised if they have a target already.  Thats just a guess, and you have to go through the process and abide by the Rooney Rule.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
Good move, but atrocious timing... To do this an hour after the 12th game of the season is a bush league as it gets.

Very disappointed in the way Murphy handled this... MM deserved much more respect than this.

>:(

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:11 PM »
McCarthy is not catching balls that hit him in the hands and is under throwing his receivers...oh wait no that’s the players....but let’s blame the coach.

True, the players have made mistakes. But the offense has sputtered all year. Barely beat Chicago, tied Minny, then underperformed against what were thought to be (and turned out to be) inferior teams. The team has not played with any sense of urgency all year. And the Packers have been notorious for their slow starts to the last several seasons, performing well only when they were forced into untenable situations. This is on the coaching staff, especially the head coach. Add in the lack of in game adjustments, odd decision making this year in particular, and an obvious disconnect between the QB and the HC, and there is ample reason to replace McCarthy. I would have much preferred he have the opportunity to resign with dignity, but the team decided they couldn't wait any longer.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Im not sure you make this move right now unless you have someone in mind.  The backchannels are very active with coaches agents this time of year.  I wouldnt be surprised if they have a target already.  Thats just a guess, and you have to go through the process and abide by the Rooney Rule.

Kliff Kingsbury...ex-.Texas Tech HC

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »
McCarthy is not catching balls that hit him in the hands and is under throwing his receivers...oh wait no that’s the players....but let’s blame the coach.

The buck stops here.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
This is what I have wanted for some time, as I have make plain on this site.  However, now that it has happened, there is a bit of sadness.  He's the only coach three of my 6 kids have every known.  Good memories.  Time to move on.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:38:28 PM by packdaddy »

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
Now, the question is going to be if the Packers finish the year going 4-0, and that would include going into Chicago and winning, does Joe Philbin become a candidate to be the head coach next season??

I hope this is not an audition for Philbin.  I'd like to see a new offensive approach.  A fresh start with an up and coming offensive assistant.  And how is Zook still employed?

Offline Raff

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
Having watched Philbin on Hard Knocks during his time in Miami, I don't think he is a good choice for the long term.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »
Good move, but atrocious timing... To do this an hour after the 12th game of the season is a bush league as it gets.

Very disappointed in the way Murphy handled this... MM deserved much more respect than this.

I disagree. This was about Aaron developing a seriously bad attitude, and that attitude potentially spreading throughout the team. This firing was about McCarthy losing Aaron and being on the edge of losing the team, and doing some real damage.

I believe Aaron looks at Reid and McVay running a new, modern offense and wanting one of those.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Now, the question is going to be if the Packers finish the year going 4-0, and that would include going into Chicago and winning, does Joe Philbin become a candidate to be the head coach next season??

I hope this is not an audition for Philbin.  I'd like to see a new offensive approach.  A fresh start with an up and coming offensive assistant.  And how is Zook still employed?

Don't hate me..............but, as conservative an organization as the Packers are, and if Philbin leads them to 4 straight wins to finish the season, he gets top billing in the new HC search.
Just say'in

Offline yourout

• Second String
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »

>:(

He could have given him the Bret Bielema treatment and told him as he was walking off the field.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Lombardi and Carmicheal from New Orleans, Offensive coordinator from NE, plenty of good coaches.  Zook should've been fired on Day1!

McCarthy had grown stale, I was sick and tired of 3rd string rb's tearing up our defense while we play with lame linebackers.  Case in point today, 3rd and 24 and AZ completes a pass.  How many times are we going to let Larry Fitzgerald beat us like this.  You can go back over the last 10 years where we have been beaten on similar plays of similar distance by other teams.  We've thrown the ball over the middle 8 times in the previous 8 games in which we were 1-3.  That used to be one of this team's strength. Offense has become predictable.  I said last year when Rodgers got hurt that he would be 80% of the QB he was before the pins and plates.  He will be next on the to go list if they don't win next year, which will be difficult given the ise of Chicago and Minnesota.

McCarthy wasn't the only problem, tt's draft were less than desirable!  Last year was a classic example.  !3 picks should have moved up to get Roquain Smith who is turning into a beast.  He is aggressive tackling the Giants all world running back in the backfield on several occasions.  Yeah that 5th rd pick for a punter is panning out real well too!!!  No players from 2015 on this roster.  Clark was a fabulous coice as I suspect Alexander will be too.  After that, I ain't so sure about last year's draft!

We keep non-talented, non-performing players (Perry, Rollins, Dix) on this team too long and let the good ones go (Tretter, Nelson, Hayward, e Cook, etc)  Too many holes, need a pass rusher, 3 stud linebackers, ol depth, another wide receiver cause Cobb is gone.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »

I disagree. This was about Aaron developing a seriously bad attitude, and that attitude potentially spreading throughout the team. This firing was about McCarthy losing Aaron and being on the edge of losing the team, and doing some real damage.

I believe Aaron looks at Reid and McVay running a new, modern offense and wanting one of those.

I don't know what you disagree about, but firing MM on game day is completely classless... You do that to someone who embarrassed the team or maybe even a jack wagon like Rex Ryan.

MM was nothing less than a great Packer... Murphy should have called for a news conference for Monday morning, then announced MM's dismissal at the news conference... That's how a class organization treats a SB winning, thirteen year head coach.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »

I don't know what you disagree about, but firing MM on game day is completely classless... You do that to someone who embarrassed the team or maybe even a jack wagon like Rex Ryan.

MM was nothing less than a great Packer... Murphy should have called for a news conference for Monday morning, then announced MM's dismissal at the news conference... That's how a class organization treats a SB winning, thirteen year head coach.

Good opinion Donzo!!
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.