December 10, 2018, 07:12:55 PM

Author Topic: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss  (Read 1599 times)

Offline winsb31

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
He had to go.
Time to move on
If you do stick to a bible and guns, you truly are as deplorable as a species gets. #CultMember

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
 It's too bad he wasn't able to finish out the season. After today's game, can't blame them for letting him go. It was a great run, there were a hand full of years where we had a good chance for a SB and a couple of those years I felt we were robbed. McCarthy will be a celebrated NFL Hall of Fame head coach someday and always a Packer.  thumbsup)

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
Good move, but atrocious timing... To do this an hour after the 12th game of the season is a bush league as it gets.

Very disappointed in the way Murphy handled this... MM deserved much more respect than this.

I disagree. This was about Aaron developing a seriously bad attitude, and that attitude potentially spreading throughout the team. This firing was about McCarthy losing Aaron and being on the edge of losing the team, and doing some real damage.

I believe Aaron looks at Reid and McVay running a new, modern offense and wanting one of those.

I don't know what you disagree about, but firing MM on game day is completely classless... You do that to someone who embarrassed the team or maybe even a jack wagon like Rex Ryan.

MM was nothing less than a great Packer... Murphy should have called for a news conference for Monday morning, then announced MM's dismissal at the news conference... That's how a class organization treats a SB winning, thirteen year head coach.

Agree completely this looks bad and MM deserved more respect.  I think this was brought on by something that might have happened in the locker room after the game or after the press conferences.  Maybe it was starting to divide the locker room or maybe there is a candidate they want and wanted to be sure to get first crack at signing a new coach their interested in.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
Agree completely this looks bad and MM deserved more respect.  I think this was brought on by something that might have happened in the locker room after the game or after the press conferences.  Maybe it was starting to divide the locker room or maybe there is a candidate they want and wanted to be sure to get first crack at signing a new coach their interested in.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Offline Berg

• Rookie
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
I am new here so please be easy on me. These are my opinions, after reading through all the posts here and thinking about it. Of course, there are many questions also.

McCarthy had a good run, I respect him and wish him well. Perfectly acceptable to be fired right after the game.

Mainly due to his press conference. He said he wasn't sure what he was going to do. That alone is pretty ridiculous.

(Could it be possible he may of known he was going to be fired and agreed it was the best thing to do.??)

At presser,  He should of been talking about disciplining/discussing with the players about NOT giving 100% effort, Including one Aaron Rodgers. Mentioning how he was going to be chewing out coaching staff etc etc.
Should of said he was gonna kick some tail. (Or something to that effect)

McCarthy definitely seems lost right now as an NFL Head Coach. Of course, I am no coach, however, throughout his tenure in Green Bay, i always felt he was "slow". Slow to challenge, Slow thinker in critical time related situations. He was not a quick in-game Coach/manager.

He would waste timeouts, Miss challenges, Challenge plays that were marginal. He would make questionable decisions to end games. How many close games and heartbreaking losses have we had.  Now I do not have stats, this is just my impression/opinion from his first  season and after watching 95% of every game he coached on TV.

I am satisfied the right decision was made, However also Sad for Mike M....., But, We need a new coach.

Hopefully an Offensive Minded Coach, I like Bruce Arians, However is his health up to it?

I hope we do NOT go back to the trickery and the offside free play crap. I got sick of that, Have real plays and not have to count on free plays. Also, How could a coach let the team seem to run play clock down to almost 0 every play.? Take those free plays when you can get them, but not at the cost of losing rhythm.

Some of these questions have been commented on.

How much of this terrible play is on Aaron?

Has Green Bay become soft?

What do you guys think will happen with Defense and Pettine?

Again, Wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy is perfectly happy to be let go now and supports it, versus waiting. He still gets paid and gets to start lining up his job. He may of even requested it, It also feeds those fans who are out for blood after this loss.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Thoughts?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:56 PM »

Not as interesting as the next few games. Will the offense get into a rhythm? Will Jones get the ball more? Will there be an emphasis on quicker releases, crossing routes, and moving the chains? Will Rodgers call for the snap of the ball more quickly, or keep waiting until there are only a couple ticks on the play clock? In short, can Philbin make a difference?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
One name I haven't heard mentioned as a replacement. Who apparently is very good, is the chiefs OC. The guy is responsible for the chiefs current scheme. Reid has said he can freely head-coach because he doesnt need to worry about the offense. And he roped in Adrian Pederson when he was having a couple down times in Minnesota. Was responsible for remotivating him.

So hes a guy who understands offense. Currently runs one of the best. Has experience dealing with all pro superstars. And he apparently expects nothing but excellence. Seems like a good trait.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
I agree that Murphy should have waited until tomorrow.  MM has been here 13 years, you cannot wait one day?

OTOH, its clear that there needed to be a change.  To lose to the worst team in the NFL, who you were favored over by 14, at home, in the snow, when they are a sun belt team?  That is the last thing I expected to happen today.

Philbin will not be the next coach.  And if he is, there should be riots in GB.

This team needs a completely new face with some new ideas and some real boldness.  I would not mind a house cleaning on both sides of the ball.

BTW, I was waiting for AR to bring up the opt out option.  Especially after today.  I mean, hey maybe we should have traded him. 

Silverstein has a nice article at MJS on how a change in coach might not do it on its own.  The problems are deeper.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:35:58 PM by Gregg »

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »
 This firing should've happened last year, and TT should've been gone three years ago. I have to wonder how much AR wanted him gone. This team is devoid of talent. Why? Because, TT was asleep at the wheel for years. MM couldn't adapt with the changing NFL. Look at two coaches who have flowed with the change: Payton in NO and Reid in KC. Why did it take so long for MM to play Jones? There's more talent on offense than defense, yet the offense has looked out of synch all season. This team NEEDS more talent and a coach who can adapt to the new NFL.

Online Pack Man

• Second String
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »

Indeed totally "Classless" Don't get Me wrong I also think it was passed time for a change. And that Big Mac's comment's after the game sealed it. Saying he did not know what to do about it.

The Classless is Mark Murphy firing him after the Game, He should of waited till Monday! Murphy scares Me, Is he going to be the one Hiring the New Coach? If so we are in trouble and have a New (Owner) !!! 

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
......Vince Lombardi

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
I can see Murphy letting Gut. pick the next head coach so as to let Gut take the heat if the next head coach should fail.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
If Rodgers lights it up this week, that theory he was tanking to get McCarthy fired is going to go into overdrive.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
Firing McCarthy was all but inevitable, but I have no disdain for him. He was an imperfect but excellent coach and Super Bowl XLV was certainly no accident. Offensively, everything has become stale and Rodgers certainly acts like he has little interest in playing at the moment.

Considering the roster turnover this year, (and way more to come in 2019) I have to think that we are already in "rebuilding mode". Gutey knew the roster he inherited needed a lot of work to become competitive. It practically never happens in one year.

This coaching hire is going to be interesting to follow, and hopefully, we'll have someone that can propel us to bigger and better things.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »
AR was tired of carrying MM. 

As far as the timing goes, maybe Dorsey threatened to hire Gute's favorite prospect if the Packer's didn't fire MM real quick.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
Murphy answered the questions about "tanking" by hiring Philbin.
Maybe Murphy isn't so clueless after all.
He accomplished what would normally be seen as an almost impossible task of finding a worse HC candidate than MM at this point in the season.