December 10, 2018, 05:57:38 PM

Author Topic: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss  (Read 1596 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Fire Mike McCarthy After Cardinals Loss
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
Murphy answered the questions about "tanking" by hiring Philbin.
Maybe Murphy isn't so clueless after all.
He accomplished what would normally be seen as an almost impossible task of finding a worse HC candidate than MM at this point in the season.

You'd think so, but maybe not.

Philbin's mistake in Miami was that he hired his old buddy Mike Sherman as his OC, and then leaned on Sherman for advice in roster building and Sherman convinced Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland to draft QB Ryan Tannehill, whom Sherman had coached at Texas A&M before accepting the OC gig at Miami, with the #8 pick of the 2012 draft. The rest of Philbin's first draft in 2012 wasn't too bad. But, to be honest (and for the most part) several were players who played better for other teams than they did for the Phins. (Johnathan Martin, Olivier Vernon, Michael Egnew, Lamar Miller, Josh Kaddu, BJ Cunnigham, Kheeston Randall, Rishard Matthews)

In Green Bay, the next coach (Philbin or someone else) won't be asking his OC for drafting advice.............and that advice certainly won't come from Mike Sherman.

Here's what Rodgers had to say about Philbin after he left for Miami.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/10526/aaron-rodgers-credits-philbin-for-success

“He used to always give us the Saturday morning speeches -- he called it his Saturday 'Cup of Joe' and I always enjoyed those,” Rodgers said. “He was always a guy who could control a room.”
“Every time he stood up in front of the offense and talked, he had the respect of the players,” Rodgers said. “Because we saw how hard he worked, his passion for the game, the way that he talked and the way that he cared about his players. Those were all qualities that a good head coach needs. So it was tough to see him go, but you can definitely see it back then.
“I owe a lot of my success to working under him. He helped me a lot over the years with different reminders.”

It will be interesting to see how this team plays under Philbin for the final 4 games.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 02:48:15 PM »
rookie wrs. Banged up ol. Banged up dl. mediocre lbs. no TE.

There's no way philbin can install a new offense this year. The best he can do is change the play call balance. If the team substantially improves, Aaron was tanking. If Aaron was tanking, then he's not a team guy, he's a manipulator.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »

There's no way philbin can install a new offense this year. The best he can do is change the play call balance. If the team substantially improves, Aaron was tanking. If Aaron was tanking, then he's not a team guy, he's a manipulator.

What if it was for the betterment of the team? Somebody has to crack the eggs to make a victory omelet
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »

What if it was for the betterment of the team? Somebody has to crack the eggs to make a victory omelet

It is not his place to decide what is for the betterment of the team, it is his job to carry out the plays to the best of his ability. If he was not doing that it was an act of insubordination and his credibility in any locker room is lost. In the armed forces he would be court-martialed for such an action. I hope for everyone's sake, that is not the case.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »

It is not his place to decide what is for the betterment of the team, it is his job to carry out the plays to the best of his ability. If he was not doing that it was an act of insubordination and his credibility in any locker room is lost. In the armed forces he would be court-martialed for such an action. I hope for everyone's sake, that is not the case.

Well, he isnt in the armed forces sooooo.... on the real side of things, I watched an analysts Twitter feed on BR. He pointed out that after analyzing plays from the last three weeks, hardly any receivers are getting open during the designed passing window. And there have been a number of drops by pass catchers as well.

Yet again, someone pointed out that Tom Brady has thrown 21TDs and 8INT. Rodgers has 20TDs and 1INT. Would people be complaining about Rodgers performance if the team was 9 and 2? He is playing at a high level, the team is just garbage and I honestly think he decided to stop doing as much pre snap adjusting and just run the plays MM called to let him see how bad they were.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
Well, he isnt in the armed forces sooooo.... on the real side of things, I watched an analysts Twitter feed on BR. He pointed out that after analyzing plays from the last three weeks, hardly any receivers are getting open during the designed passing window. And there have been a number of drops by pass catchers as well.

Yet again, someone pointed out that Tom Brady has thrown 21TDs and 8INT. Rodgers has 20TDs and 1INT. Would people be complaining about Rodgers performance if the team was 9 and 2? He is playing at a high level, the team is just garbage and I honestly think he decided to stop doing as much pre snap adjusting and just run the plays MM called to let him see how bad they were.

Similar thoughts here. Enough was enough. MM effectively abandoned the middle of the field on offense, refused to utilize Jones, and seemed to be in a rut offensively. Now, can Philbin make some changes? Sure. Will they be enough to perk up the offense? We'll find out Sunday.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »

Similar thoughts here. Enough was enough. MM effectively abandoned the middle of the field on offense, refused to utilize Jones, and seemed to be in a rut offensively. Now, can Philbin make some changes? Sure. Will they be enough to perk up the offense? We'll find out Sunday.

Exactly. It's now a waiting game.

Offline IBV

• Second String
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
 Maybe this is only interesting to me , but MM's mid season firing is the first mid season firing of a GBP Head Coach in the entire 98 year History of the GBP Franchise !!  Even Scooter Maclean and Dan Devine made it to the end of the Season before they were released.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Maybe this is only interesting to me , but MM's mid season firing is the first mid season firing of a GBP Head Coach in the entire 98 year History of the GBP Franchise !!  Even Scooter Maclean and Dan Devine made it to the end of the Season before they were released.

Gene Ronzani resigned with two games remaining in the 1953 season and was replaced on an interim basis by the tandem of Devore and McLean. Resigned wasn't fired, does that count?

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
He accomplished what would normally be seen as an almost impossible task of finding a worse HC candidate than MM at this point in the season.

Philbin's mistake in Miami was that he hired his old buddy Mike Sherman as his OC, and then leaned on Sherman for advice in roster building and Sherman convinced Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland to draft QB Ryan Tannehill, whom Sherman had coached at Texas A&M before accepting the OC gig at Miami, with the #8 pick of the 2012 draft. The rest of Philbin's first draft in 2012 wasn't too bad. But, to be honest (and for the most part) several were players who played better for other teams than they did for the Phins. (Johnathan Martin, Olivier Vernon, Michael Egnew, Lamar Miller, Josh Kaddu, BJ Cunnigham, Kheeston Randall, Rishard Matthews)

In Green Bay, the next coach (Philbin or someone else) won't be asking his OC for drafting advice.............and that advice certainly won't come from Mike Sherman.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/10526/aaron-rodgers-credits-philbin-for-success

“He used to always give us the Saturday morning speeches -- he called it his Saturday 'Cup of Joe' and I always enjoyed those,” Rodgers said. “He was always a guy who could control a room.”
“Every time he stood up in front of the offense and talked, he had the respect of the players,” Rodgers said. “Because we saw how hard he worked, his passion for the game, the way that he talked and the way that he cared about his players. Those were all qualities that a good head coach needs. So it was tough to see him go, but you can definitely see it back then.
“I owe a lot of my success to working under him. He helped me a lot over the years with different reminders.”

It will be interesting to see how this team plays under Philbin for the final 4 games.

Even as a young guy I knew Mike Sherman was a terrible coach. If Philbin had the loss of brain power enough to hire him as an OC, what other mistakes would he make as our head coach moving forward? Enough with the "old guard" and "good old boys" mentality. New blood is needed. And track records of failure shouldnt be attractive on a resume.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »

Even as a young guy I knew Mike Sherman was a terrible coach. If Philbin had the loss of brain power enough to hire him as an OC, what other mistakes would he make as our head coach moving forward? Enough with the "old guard" and "good old boys" mentality. New blood is needed. And track records of failure shouldnt be attractive on a resume.

Good post...I also don't want the old guard ways which is why they let McCarthy go.  No way do they keep Philbin

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »

Good post...I also don't want the old guard ways which is why they let McCarthy go.  No way do they keep Philbin

My fear is that Rodgers now moves forward as the field General he knows he can be, slaughters the next 4 opponents, and then Philbin gets the job. Philbin was a good coordinator, but I wouldnt trust him as a HC.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
The only hope with Philbin is that his love for the game and hard work have resulted in an increase in his abilities as a HC.  I guess it’s possible, I’ll give him a chance in these last 4 games.  If he’s smart he should know what works and doesn’t work by this time.  Maybe he doesn’t want the job.  If he’s going to be a lousy HC I want him to fail now not next year

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »
Dan Devine was a disgrace and should never have made it through the season.  He should have been fired before he was allowed to resign in December.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:59:51 PM by SB XLIX »