December 10, 2018, 05:57:27 PM

Author Topic: A new era  (Read 646 times)

Offline packlaw

• Second String
A new era
« on: December 03, 2018, 04:15:55 AM »
For the past twenty five years or so, Packer nation enjoyed the Favre and Rodger's eras.  Enjoyable seasons with bitter sweet playoffs with a number of hard losses and two Super Bowls.  It can be said, we are still in the Rodgers' era.  However, Rodgers is in decline and the team must prepare for the future after he retires.  Two to three good years more from Rogers is quite possible.  Thus, the immediate future should concentrate on the current needs.  Aside from center and left tackle with an injury history, right tackle and the guard positions need be upgraded.  Otherwise, the offense is set with the addition of a better game plan.  The defense is the bigger fix.  We need edge rushers and a safety with experience.  We need a compliment to Martinez.  Our defensive line is fine with the return of Daniels and Wilkerson.  If we go to a 4-3, Perry can be the fourth down linemen.  If not, Perry and Mathews are expendable.  If Mathews, Perry and Cobb don't return, there should be enough money to get good free agents.  Now for the new era.  We have two ones next year.  It would be prudent to draft a quarterback, if one is worthy and available, in the first round.  He would get at least three years of tutoring as did Rogers.  As the Packer's have proven, success on the field depends of the quarterback.  Now is the time to draft one.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: A new era
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:51:20 AM »
The problem is that its allegedly not  a good draft for QB's.

But the thing is I liked Wolf's strategy about QB's.  You drafted one anyway and saved him for trading later.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
We are still in the Rodgers era and it might continue for some time.  He could conceivable play another 5-6 yrs.  He's locked in GB and this is a different situation then the Favre saga.  We need to build the best team around him possible.   We have Kizer developing maybe we draft a late round QB but pretty low on the list.  Packers brass has not tolerance for losing they will do everything possible to turn this around as quick as possible.  Personally think if everything works out perfectly we won't be able to contend until 2020.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »
Unless they totally screw up this hiring, the Packers will contend next year.

If they get a HC that knows how to:
Make in game adjustments
Find a competent special teams coach
Correctly decide whether to go for it or not on 4th down
Develop and utilize a competitive running game
Call plays that don't break down immediately and require the QB to scramble and evade the defense for 15 seconds, then throw a sideline toe tapper 25 yards downfield
Install a professional level strength and conditioning program

They should be fine.

I know that based on the last 12 years, Green Bay fans believe these things are out of the realm of the possible, but they are not.
Having a HOF QB is supposed to be an asset, not the liability it has become in GB.

There are plenty of outstanding, competitive candidates that are jumping up and down as we speak, hoping to get a crack at this job.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
For the past twenty five years or so, Packer nation enjoyed the Favre and Rodger's eras.  Enjoyable seasons with bitter sweet playoffs with a number of hard losses and two Super Bowls.  It can be said, we are still in the Rodgers' era.  However, Rodgers is in decline and the team must prepare for the future after he retires.  Two to three good years more from Rogers is quite possible.  Thus, the immediate future should concentrate on the current needs.  Aside from center and left tackle with an injury history, right tackle and the guard positions need be upgraded.  Otherwise, the offense is set with the addition of a better game plan.  The defense is the bigger fix.  We need edge rushers and a safety with experience.  We need a compliment to Martinez.  Our defensive line is fine with the return of Daniels and Wilkerson.  If we go to a 4-3, Perry can be the fourth down linemen.  If not, Perry and Mathews are expendable.  If Mathews, Perry and Cobb don't return, there should be enough money to get good free agents.  Now for the new era.  We have two ones next year.  It would be prudent to draft a quarterback, if one is worthy and available, in the first round.  He would get at least three years of tutoring as did Rogers.  As the Packer's have proven, success on the field depends of the quarterback.  Now is the time to draft one.

Not a fan of the 2019 QB draft class.

It would be better in 2020............
http://draftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2020
There's some talent in that group.

Maybe better yet in 2021?

Why?

Because I think you only need to have that draft pick understudy for one year, and it would make sense to keep Rodgers through the 2021 season so as to not add too much dead money to the cap.
(2020; $34.5M dead money with -$1.9M cap savings, 2021; $23M dead money with $10.5M cap savings; 2022; $11.5M dead money with $25.5M cap savings)

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »

Make in game adjustments
Call plays that don't break down immediately and require the QB to scramble and evade the defense for 15 seconds, then throw a sideline toe tapper 25 yards downfield

They should be fine.

I know that based on the last 12 years, Green Bay fans believe these things are out of the realm of the possible, but they are not.
Having a HOF QB is supposed to be an asset, not the liability it has become in GB.

There are plenty of outstanding, competitive candidates that are jumping up and down as we speak, hoping to get a crack at this job.

Yes yes and yes...excellent post agree completely.  Especially the training staff.  It's been my biggest beef for a long long long time.

Offline Berg

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »

Make in game adjustments

They should be fine.

I certainly concur, it’s a new era and agree with the above facts about McCarthy. They are all things I have noticed since 2007.

However, keep in perspective. If you were told ,hypothetically of course,our next head coach could guarantee a nfc championship game every 3 years. Would that be considered good enough?

That’s what McCarthy did during his tenure. Got to give it up to him.   Just something I was thinking about.

Regards

Offline JerryA

• Second String
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »

They should be fine.

ST coach a must!

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
I'm tired of settling for the playoffs one and done.  It is ultimately very unsatisfying.
When I was younger, I remember being on a team that every one said didn't belong in the tournament.  We didn't give a ****.  We crushed.

MM was not willing to do what it took to get over the hump.  To adapt, to make the difficult choice.
He scapegoated his staff too many times and didn't change himself.
He did not believe that "winning is the only thing"

I believe there are plenty of people that still believe that, or at least believe it more than MM did.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
I'm tired of settling for the playoffs one and done.  It is ultimately very unsatisfying.
When I was younger, I remember being on a team that every one said didn't belong in the tournament.  We didn't give a ****.  We crushed.

MM was not willing to do what it took to get over the hump.  To adapt, to make the difficult choice.
He scapegoated his staff too many times and didn't change himself.
He did not believe that "winning is the only thing"

I believe there are plenty of people that still believe that, or at least believe it more than MM did.

They get paid to win. At this level, winning IS the only thing. There are no moral victories in this league. The sooner they realize and act on this, the sooner we get back to watching a great football team
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."