December 10, 2018, 07:02:11 PM

Author Topic: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.  (Read 2091 times)

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
Now that MM is gone the Packers organization will actively be searching for a new coach to head up the 2018-19 NFL season.  I honestly doubt that they bring back Philbin as this team needs a clean break from McCarthy.   Here are a list of potential candidates and add to the list if I left anyone out.  Who is your favorite? 

I personally like Pete Carmichael Jr., Saints offensive coordinator as the Packers next head coach and with him bringing in Darrell Bevell has the offensive coordinator.  I haven’t given much thought to the defensive coordinator. 

Darrell Bevell ex-offensive coordinator for the Vikings and Seahawks.
John DeFilippo, Vikings offensive coordinator
Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator
Kris Richard, Cowboys passing game coordinator/defensive backs coach
Matt LaFleur, Titans offensive coordinator
Eric Bienemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator
Pete Carmichael Jr., Saints offensive coordinator
Gary Kubiak, Broncos senior personnel advisor
Jim Harbaugh, University Michigan’s Coach.
Jeff Tedford, Fresno State head coach and Rodgers coach at Cal.
Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma’s head coach.
Nick Saban, Alabama’s Head Coach.
Urban Meyer, Ohio State’s Head coach.
JAMES BETTCHER, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, NEW YORK GIANTS
MATT LAFLEUR, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, TENNESSEE TITANS
GEORGE EDWARDS, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Frank Reich, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles
Jeff Fisher, ex NFL Coach.
Bill Cowher, ex-NFL Coach.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
Re: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »
For how it ended, have to give McCarthy his dues, 9 playoff seasons in 13 years; yes, with Rodgers as your QB that probably should have translated into some more Super Bowl appearances, but with Rodgers career winding down and things seeming to be in disarray a change was needed.

You think getting rid of McCarthy will suggest Pettine might be on the hot seat with a coaching change? I'm not sure I would agree with a defensive coordinator change, feels to me like while the offense has been heading backwards for a couple years now, the defense has made some progress this season and is a play-maker or two away from being a difference maker.

Zook is likely a goner, special teams has had its share of troubles this season.

I know very little about the candidates, but I'm hoping for an offensive-minded head coach, that is really the direction this league is headed in.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »
If Murphy doesn't hire an offensive minded HC...then Murphy is really clueless about the NFL and all the rule changes of late.

Maybe.....the reason MM was fired so uncharactic to the Packers way  was how the team as a whole was responding.

Some have mentioned the affect of the SI article that displayed some pretty damaging leaks from inside in that article. Very detailed descriptions about the rift between Rodgers and McCarthy of plays called and then the plays execution or lack of execution of that play.

I think that article showed that the relationship of QB and HC had festered into an area that might have been unfixable and was spreading throughout the team.

Maybe a more pertinent question might be......would a good HC candidate want to come to a team that just fired the HC because he couldn't satisfy the diva QB anymore?

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
The name I keep coming back to is Matt Lafleur (Titans OC). He falls into the Shanahan/McVay tree which is kind of the hot ticket right now. He's had a lot of success as a QB Coach (RG3 (WAS 1st season), Kirk Cousins (WAS), Matt Ryan (ATL MVP Season) and Jared Goff (LAR 2017).

From what I can find on him, he fundamentally believes in a "balanced" approach on offense and the only reason he left the Rams was because he wanted to call plays. Now, the Titans offense isn't exactly setting the world on fire right now, but keep in mind this is Year 1 of a new coach and philosophy and they're lacking a lot of passing game weapons.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Bruce Arians if his health will allow it, or Chris Petersen.

The MM hall of fame talk will fade away in the years to come as the Packers reach new levels of success.
What little fire he had is no more, MM's spark has gone out.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
I read where Jim Harbaugh is likely on the short list.

Murphy has a ton of Big 10 connections and it said that Gute approves of Jimmy Boy.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »

Murphy has a ton of Big 10 connections and it said that Gute approves of Jimmy Boy.

Not my favorite guy in the world but all he does is win.  His results speak for themselves.  He's a damn good coach no one can deny that.  Having him here in GB?  Man I just don't know how that would work out. 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
It won't be a college coach and it won't be a McCarthy retread so the likes of Fisher/either Harbaugh/Philbin and such won't happen.
It will be someone like Eric Bienemy.

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »

I don't follow college football all that much.  However, I have two good friends who are huge
University of Michigan fans.  They always tell me, after the "big game," that Urban Meyer
continues to out coach Harbaugh.   I just hope we take someone who already has a track
record for success in the NFL and not the college ranks.  A college coach brings more uncertainty
and risk.   

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
Of all the names, most of which are floated ideas and speculation, I'd say Jim Harbaugh is the top candidate on that list. He is the only one that fits the mold of a youngish head coach. They're not hiring him for his offensive scheme, they're hiring him for his ability to be a head coach. All the hot ticket NFL coordinators and out of nowhere college Head Coaches need to be coordinators first or continue being coordinators in the NFL.

Josh McDaniels is not an NFL head coach, cross him off the list.

Lincoln Riley hasn't shown enough to prove he can be a head coach. Offensive coordinator? Sure, but he likely won't take anything besides a HC job.

I think the best idea is to hire a no nonsense HC like Jim Harbaugh and go after an OC like Kingsbury or DeFillipo.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:03:46 PM by claymaker »

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
I wouldn't know any of these guys if they sat next to me at a bar so I just know what I have read.

Here are a few thoughts.  No college coaches- it's a completely different coaching 20 year olds and adults making millions of dollars.  Plus a head coach has to be able to put together a staff and a college guy doesn't know the NFL well enough

No to Mc Daniels.  He quit on the Colts and let the staff he chose out to dry.

I like La Fleur for the reasons WTX cited.

What I like about Carmichael is that has been around Brees since 2009 and has helped him through different stages of his career.  He would have the credibility  and insight to help AR through the next stage of his career- If AR is interested in changes,

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
Some of this hire depends on the chain of command and who is making the real decision in the end. If Murphy gets out of the way and restores the GM's powers to do his complete job, the hire will be different than if Murphy insists on being hands on.

For me the top 3 candidates would be,

1.) Todd Monken

2.) Matt LaFleur

3.) Eric Bieniemy

Josh McDaniels would not be a candidate under the current management structure, but if Murphy should return to the chain of command that made the Packers successful from the day that Wolf was hired then McDaniels would be in play for the job.

My gut feeling is that Murphy has gotten the taste of ownership power and likes that taste, if that is the case the Packers are probably headed for some lean years ahead.   

I will add that I don't think it is out of the question that Philbin and Pettine are real candidates for the opening.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:32:22 PM by RT »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
I like Carmichael as well, but I don't want him calling the game like MM has done. Payton had Carmichael calling the games at one point, and then took it back for himself only to give it back to Carmichael again later on. It just makes me wonder if it was too much for Carmichael, or too much for Payton?

Hire someone to be you OC, and then BE the HC.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
Some of this hire depends on the chain of command and who is making the real decision in the end. If Murphy gets out of the way and restores the GM's powers to do his complete job, the hire will be different than if Murphy insists on being hands on.

For me the top 3 candidates would be,

1.) Todd Monken

2.) Matt LaFleur

3.) Eric Bieniemy

Josh McDaniels would not be a candidate under the current management structure, but if Murphy should return to the chain of command that made the Packers successful from the day that Wolf was hired then McDaniels would be in play for the job.

My gut feeling is that Murphy has gotten the taste of ownership power and likes that taste, if that is the case the Packers are probably headed for some lean years ahead.

Unless the BOD steps in and calls Murphy on the carpet.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
Two articles from PFT, which may be interlinked: that Rodgers won't be part of the decision making process for HC, but should be:

Aaron Rodgers won’t be involved in the search for a new coach
Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2018, 4:14 PM EST

Getty Images
The next coach of the Green Bay Packers ideally will serve in that job for the balance of the career of quarterback Aaron Rodgers and beyond. Given, however, the team’s failure to get back to the Super Bowl despite the presence of one of the greatest players in league history and the loudly ticking clock on his career, the next coach necessarily needs to be a coach who will get the most out of Rodgers.

That said, the folks who will be participating in the hiring decision have tried to gloss over the critical importance of the connection between the new coach and Rodgers.

“Aaron is free to provide input but he won’t be part of the process,” CEO Mark Murphy told reporters. This seems to mean, based on the full content and tone of the press conference involving Murphy and G.M. Brian Gutekunst, that Rodgers won’t be meeting with the candidates as part of the interview process.

That could be a mistake, given the financial investment made in Rodgers and the critical importance of another Super Bowl win or two to the legacy of Rodgers and everyone connected to him. Rodgers should meet with all candidates in the  presence of Murphy and Gutekunst, so that they can assess whether there’s an appropriate chemistry between brand new coach and highest paid player in NFL history.

As much as they try to downplay it (and try to downplay it they did), Rodgers looms over this process. He has four, five, or maybe six years left, and the next coach should make it to the end of Aaron’s tenure. Or maybe the next coach will hasten the end of Rodgers’ tenure. However it goes, it would be wise to ensure that it goes smoothly between new coach and franchise quarterback.

There’s really no more important relationship on a team, and that relationship is no more important than in Green Bay, where Rodgers was, is, and will continue to be the face of the franchise.

Add in this article, and perhaps Philbin gets a more serious shot at becoming the next HC than we think:

Monday’s back-to-back press conferences from Packers CEO Mark Murphy/G.M. Brian Gutekunst and interim head coach Joe Philbin made two things clear: (1) Philbin is a candidate for the permanent coaching job; and (2) Philbin isn’t ready to talk about that.

“It’s an opportunity to see Joe for four games,” Murphy told reporters. “See how the team responds. See how coaches and others respond.”

In other words, see whether Philbin can be the guy.

Philbin, who himself was fired midseason by Miami in 2015 and who became visibly emotional on multiple occasions during his Monday press conference, avoided discussing whether he wants the job beyond this year, explaining that he’s doing what he has urged the players to do — focus on this week’s game, against the Falcons.

A football coach who served as the head coach of an NFL team likely won’t say no to the chance to be a head coach again. But it seemed to be important to Philbin (and rightfully so) to be guarded in his ambition, given that he’s replacing a close friend.

“You want to be part of the solution,” Philbin said regarding his return to Green Bay to work with McCarthy. “You feel like you let him down.”

If Philbin picks the team up and runs the table, he could get an opportunity to stick around. Much of that depends on the overall wish list for the hire, and whether any names in front of Philbin accept or decline.

So, if the offense plays the way it is capable of playing, and the Packers win out (not at all out of the question), should they fire a successful fit for the team? Philbin and Rodgers are comfortable with each other, which is very important. To be clear, this is not a prediction or an endorsement. Just something that might work out differently than we now think. After all, Rodgers is the "straw that stirs the drink". And do the Packers really want to search for someone he might not be comfortable with, rather than someone he already has a strong relationship with? By all means, bring in Bevell if he is available. He had worked with Favre earlier, and even spent one year coaching Rodgers, so again, familiarity is a key.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid