June 17, 2019, 05:49:29 AM

Author Topic: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.  (Read 16195 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
As with all coaches and draft picks for me, you have to let it play out.  The results will come in the Fall.  All the initial hype and talk means nothing.  Does he win?  Thats the bottom line.  I couldnt care less about press conferences, so and so looking good in TC.  Show it during the season and win. JMO

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »
After watching the interview, I like him, as a guy.  Seems sincere, responsible, competitive, cheerful, thoughtful, ambitious, and self-confident without coming across as arrogant or ego-maniac or power-mad.  Just seemed like a really nice guy.  And I like the emphasis on getting to personally know all the players, building relationships, etc.. 

Obviously he's new and excited, and it's going to be different after months and years and lots of losses.  But MM so often seemed impatient and annoyed with lots of questions, as if everybody was dumb, even with questions that I thought were pretty interesting and legit and worth a respectful answer. 

He didn't answer much at all about football, though.  Running game, passing game, defensive approach, he didn't really give us any hints about anything content-wise. 

I especially liked his comment about error-free, penalty-free aggression, though!  Getting penalized on every punt isn't necessarily the way! 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
There were a good number of Rodgers related questions and comments.  They had Rodgers call him prior to offering the job, as alluded to earlier.  Gute gave a pretty quick no-comment when asked whether Rodgers had called anybody else!   

I thought it was interesting some of the comments Murphy had about the team leadership council, or whatever it's called.  Said Rodgers was in on that, and made reference to the PLAYERS alluding to complacency, a lack of accountability, a lack of urgency.  So interesting that the players understand the need to push harder.  Of course, maybe that's just old codgers Rodgers and Daniels blaming the younger guys, beats me.   

But interesting that Murphy and Gute and some of the vet players seem to think some intensity is needed. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2019, 06:31:14 PM »
There were a good number of Rodgers related questions and comments.  They had Rodgers call him prior to offering the job, as alluded to earlier.  Gute gave a pretty quick no-comment when asked whether Rodgers had called anybody else!   

I thought it was interesting some of the comments Murphy had about the team leadership council, or whatever it's called.  Said Rodgers was in on that, and made reference to the PLAYERS alluding to complacency, a lack of accountability, a lack of urgency.  So interesting that the players understand the need to push harder.  Of course, maybe that's just old codgers Rodgers and Daniels blaming the younger guys, beats me.   

But interesting that Murphy and Gute and some of the vet players seem to think some intensity is needed.

Easiest way to dial up the intensity is to draft and sign FAs who play aggressively. I feel like the packers actually have tried to avoid players they feel may be over aggressive players. I understand not wanting the Pac Man Jones, Ndomakung Suhs, and Vontez Butficts of the league, but sometimes you need a guy who will refuse to be dominated on the field. Someone who really plays to wreck house.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:55 AM »
Maybe so, shinesman.  Heh heh, part of me feels like on specials, at least, the opposite has been true, that they've been all about aggressive and not much about brains or discipline.  All kinds of aggressively dumb penalties. 

For which reason I very much appreciated LaFleur's comment about wanting to be aggressive within the rules, and aggressive without penalty.  Not my perception of special teams at all. 

Not blaming that all on Zook, of course.  I think Packers procurement has tended to trend towards measurables more than brains, and we've tended to carry lots of UDFA and lots of young players.  Think sometimes guys are going undrafted or late despite impressive measurables because brains/judgement/decision-making is lacking, which doesn't play out great on special teams.  And obviously if you're a young guy trying to make an impression, it's kind of natural to go crazy and try to do something that will look noticable and attention-grabbing, and if specials is your only forum, you're probably likely to be pumped for you couple of teams plays that maybe it's especially hard to keep your head on straight. 

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
I like that he said the two things that will make AR successful are protection and unpredictability of the offense.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
I like that he said the two things that will make AR successful are protection and unpredictability of the offense.

Also, LaFleur has been involved in up-tempo, quick hitting big play offenses. All of which seem to play to AR's strengths. At the same time, I don't think that MLF is likelhy to be the guy who "reins in Rodgers". Instead, there could well be a successful collaboration, a synthesis of innovation (MLF) and execution (AR) that could lead to something special. This is what is exciting. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
Rodgers was really inaccurate this year, IMO, and nothing will be exciting if that's the norm next year. 
But *if* his legs and shoulder were all OK and stayed OK for a while, and *IF* there was some better scheming-guys-open, and *IF* there was more quick-hitting high-percentage passing, I think it might help him.  He gets so frustrated when he's playing bad, and I think some completions and 1st downs tends to be good for rhythm and accuracy. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
There is a report that Murphy called Aaron about the hire before he offered the job.  Obviously AR gave it his blessing

Gotta be someone Aaron likes and can get along with, or it just wont work.

And now he has no room to complain.  He had his chance to say something already.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
ML was Matty Ice’s QB coach for his MVP year. From what I read he didn’t hold back when he saw something not right with Ryan’s throwing motion.
Ryan wasn’t happy at first but I guess the two talk every week and are pretty tight.

It’s about building a relationship that gives you permission to “coach” a guy like Rodgers.

People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.