December 10, 2018, 06:06:30 PM

Author Topic: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.  (Read 2080 times)

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Our Next Head Coach is ______________________.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
He did not really fail in the NFL.  He had a heart problem and resigned.

As far as I can see, he has been healthy the last four years.

In his last two years at Fresno State he took a team that had won one game in 2016 to a combined record of 21-6

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
With Murphy's refusal to step aside on this coaching hire, is it possible that he is attempting to angle towards hiring his boy from Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald?
[/quot

I hope not.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:09 PM »
There are many other options than Fitz IMO, but he does have ties to the Packers.  Murphy hired him at Northwestern, and Fitzgerald's agent is Bryan Harlan ( Bobs son).   I'll say this, the 2018 Big 10 Coach of the Year wasnt Franklin, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer.  It was Pat Fitzgerald.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:26:30 PM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »
I had not heard Fitzgerald's name mentioned until today. One note: He did sign a 10 year contract extension in 2017. (Not that it means anything)

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »

Philbin has a good shot...IMHO

What did Philbin do in Miami?

He brought in Mike Sherman and let M2 give advice on player selection

AR h as already mentioned when asked about Phibin taking over and his thoughts..his 1st response was " I always liked how Phibin and I communicated"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »
I thought this was an interesting read.

https://packerstalk.com/2018/12/04/jim-harbaugh-coaches-and-the-cult-of-personality/

Cult of Personality.

If you are one of those folks crying out for someone to reach Aaron Rodgers and channel him to another MVP and Super Bowl, [Jim] Harbaugh might be your guy. If you’re looking for someone that Rodgers is going to have to respect and may actually be able to hold a 2-time MVP accountable, Harbaugh might be your guy.

What is a “Cult of Personality”? Simply put, its a guy who simply can impress his own personality on a team and provide a common goal and direction, simply through their own influence and power. Before you dismiss this as ridiculous, let me introduce you to one of the Packers own Cult of Personality coaches: Vince Lombardi.

There have been many coaches since that time, Devine, Starr, Gregg, Rhodes, Sherman, and even McCarthy. All certainly had their strengths and their weaknesses. But since those days, only one other coach has come close to the Cult of Personality that Lombardi held: Mike Holmgren.

And yes, Jim Harbaugh, of all the candidates that we are mulling over, may be the only one out there who has the ability to be that kind of coach.

Now, before you all rush to sign him, remember there is another shoe that falls with these kinds of coaches, and it is that shoe that might well make Harbaugh available.

Vince Lombardi coached in Green Bay for nine years. Mike Holmgren only coached for seven seasons. You see, having a Cult of Personality coach is intense, a rush of energy and common vision that is embodied in the constant presence and influence of the coach. It also burns out after a while. It’s exhausting, and most Cult of Personality types would rather leave on a high note, sensing the impending drop when the team isn’t responding the same way.

So, what’s important to you? Getting Rodgers another ring? Reining in Rodgers and channeling him to his former glory? Convincing him to run the vision of the gamecalls of the head coach?

If that’s really, truly what you want, you need a Commander. You need an ENTJ. You need someone with the personality of Lombardi, Holmgren, or Bellicheck, knowing it will likely be a bright burn followed by a flame out at the end.

If that is what you want, you need someone who is going to impress his personality on every facet of this team, who is going to have a powerful enough will to overcome even the ego of his own quarterback. It’s not easy, trust me. Rodgers has had his power struggle with McCarthy for many years now. He knows he’s in the driver’s seat.

If you want a coach who is going to drive, you need a Cult of Personality.

And that guy, right now, is Jim Harbaugh.

So a "strong personality", like Jimmy H. tends to burn out in 4-5 years and move on.

Now.................stop and think how much longer Rodgers intends to play?
(hint: until about age 40.....that's 5 years away)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
I have an extreme dislike of Jim Harbaugh's sideline antics, it would be a tough pill to swallow, especially if we weren't winning.

I have to wonder that since Urban Meyer is now retiring at Ohio State, if that will keep Harbaugh at Michigan, considering that Meyer was his biggest impedement to winning the Big 10.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
I have an extreme dislike of Jim Harbaugh's sideline antics, it would be a tough pill to swallow, especially if we weren't winning.

I have to wonder that since Urban Meyer is now retiring at Ohio State, if that will keep Harbaugh at Michigan, considering that Meyer was his biggest impedement to winning the Big 10.

I'm not a big fan of his either. But the article was a fascinating look into traits that make certain HC's successful.

It may/may not work in GB, but it  stirpot) as things move forward.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
Article might be good in theory, but him to GB is a very bad mix. IMO

Not even mentioning his buyout at Michigan and his current 9M a year average salary, which is probably double what the Packers end up spending.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:07:11 PM by RT »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
Florio just had a interesting proposal. I'll ask it here.  Would you send the Saints back their first round pick for Sean Payton?  Payton could bring his offense to GB and work with Rodgers last 5 years or so.  Peter King said the Rams may have been able to pry Payton out of NO if they pushed but went with McVey instead. 

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
What happens if there is significant improvement with Philbin?  4-0?
Will the Packers seriously consider hiring him as HC? 
It strikes me as the easy thing to do for Murphy, and he may not be able to resist.

On the other hand, if Philbin does go 4-0, it could be because of the easy schedule.
I would think that significant improvement would be looked upon as an indictment of MM.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
John Harbaugh as HC and Jim Harbaugh as OC.
It would be entertaining.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
Just my opinion I believe the Packers need a motivator, educator, communicator, listener, creative, innovators, etc. who fits the mold of Nagy, Pederson, McVeigh, etc.  Someone who can be successful early and relates to players real well.  Some of the names mentioned just don't float my boat.  Harbaugh, McDaniels, Bienemy, nope don't fill the bill.

Here's my three candidates - Carmicheal from NO, Lombardi from NO and Fitzpatrick from Northwestern.  Guys from NO have it together!!  Fitzpatrick gets the most out of his guys!!!  He relates well to his players!!!  MCcarthy, it was his undoing.  Why Fitzpatrick may have an edge?  Murphy hired him at Northwestern before he left there.  He's done pretty well at that school that was a perennial 0-11 team every year prior to his arrival.  I prefer these three because they understand the importance of both offense and defense!!!

While were in the mode of firing coaches, how the hell is Zook still on this staff?  I could see Moss getting fired, linebackers have sucked since Kevin Greene left!!!!!  That's the real weakness on defense, not our DB's.   

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »
Murphy fired the HC (McCarthy) and the Assistant HC (Winston Moss).

Firing both means that NOW the next HC can pick his own staff.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.