December 10, 2018, 05:58:03 PM

Author Topic: How McCarthy got fired  (Read 1495 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
How McCarthy got fired
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »
Si released this story a coupe days ago, them updated it. This story requires internal leaks - someone wanted McCarthy gone, bad enough to talk. This story forced Mark's hand.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/03/aaron-rodgers-regularly-changed-mike-mccarthy-play-calls-packers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:45:58 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: How McCarthy got fired
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
If that be the case it's time to trade Rodgers for all you can get.

No player, no player is above the HC and his staff.

Bite the bullet and pickup a journeyman QB until you can draft one that will be your next franchise QB and part ways with the pre-madonna that is taking down this team because of a big ego.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »

While I agree with you in principle, Aarons contact makes cutting him impossible. We would have a crippled team for four years.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
I didn't say 'cut' him...I said 'trade' him.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »
How does the cap figure into a trade.  Is it even possible to trade him?

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »

Bite the bullet and pickup a journeyman QB until you can draft one that will be your next franchise QB and part ways with the pre-madonna that is taking down this team because of a big ego.

If that was indeed the case MM should have had the stones to bench him.  He's the HC.  Yes it would have been a storm but hey you have to do what you have to do. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »
I didn't say 'cut' him...I said 'trade' him.

I had posted this last week, but will re-post it here.

Dead cap money by year for Rodgers,

2018 - 80,300,000.00

2019 - 59,400,000.00

2020 - 34,500,000.00

2021 - 23,000,000.00

First real potential out of Rodgers contract is 2022 with a hit of 11,500,000.00

Their will be no parting of ways with Aaron Rodgers for awhile. After he signed his deal this summer, their is no going back on it. It could be 4 long years stuck in a trap of Rodgers as the QB.

Offline LMG

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.

That's why AR is so full of himself!!!

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
I had posted this last week, but will re-post it here.

Dead cap money by year for Rodgers,

Thanks. I kinda knew that, but I didn't have the numbers handy. We could perhaps recoup the cash in a trade, but the cap hit is forever.

We could perhaps cut him in June of 2020 and take a two year cap hit of $17.5m per year. It would suck, but you could survive it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:17:45 PM by marklawrence »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:28:45 PM by marklawrence »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »
Honestly I don't know what to believe.  Aaron never threw MM under the bus.  MM never threw Aaron under the bus.  Philbin said he didn't see any thing out of the ordinary in their relationship.  Aaron denied the media reports.  I do believe Aaron was frustrated with the offense and execution of it.  Clearly his heart was not in the last game.  It was time for a change it happens.  Not going to lay blame on anyone it is what it is.  MM lasted 13 years that is pretty damn good.  MM was slow to change and never addressed my biggest beef that lousy training staff.   The team was regressing it was pretty clear.  Time to move on Murphy and Gute didn't have a choice.

Offline GreenAndGoldLenses

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 05:03:19 AM »
I'm guessing the rift between MM and AR is like any other rumor, somewhere in the middle. I doubt MM forgot how to be a playcaller, and AR wasn't actively running MM out of town.
I do agree that AR doesn't come out of this looking good. Any serious Packer fan doesn't expect AR to be traded, but the amount of slack we would normally allow him for a bad performance has been significantly reduced. This is the part that may surprise AR. The national press is still calling him elite. Those of us watching the games are not seeing that level of 'eliteness' (new word?), and are wondering about the huge contract that was just signed. IF AR was passively aggressively working against MM,  and truly wanted someone else, he better be ready for the load he just placed on his own shoulders.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. (Confucius)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
I dont know how much Rodgers had a hand in MMs departure, but after several years of seeing this movie, it is clear the Packers needed a new direction.  Wasting Rodgers years wasnt going to change continuing under MM and there are no guarantees under a new guy, but at least there is hope for now for turning it around.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
I'm guessing the rift between MM and AR is like any other rumor, somewhere in the middle. I doubt MM forgot how to be a playcaller, and AR wasn't actively running MM out of town.
I do agree that AR doesn't come out of this looking good. Any serious Packer fan doesn't expect AR to be traded, but the amount of slack we would normally allow him for a bad performance has been significantly reduced. This is the part that may surprise AR. The national press is still calling him elite. Those of us watching the games are not seeing that level of 'eliteness' (new word?), and are wondering about the huge contract that was just signed. IF AR was passively aggressively working against MM,  and truly wanted someone else, he better be ready for the load he just placed on his own shoulders.

I was just about to write something similar, especially about the "truth being somewhere in the middle". I would only like to expand on this: Our only glimpse of their relationship is the small amount of times we saw them interacting on the sidelines and our perception that AR was being snippy with MM in press conferences. We never had access to team meetings and practices.

That being said, going forward, the success of the Packers (or at least the perception) will be predominantly on Rodgers until his career ends. We no longer have Ted Thompson to blame for a poor roster/lack of free agents or Mike McCarthy for poor play calling. For better or worse, this is solely the Aaron Rodgers show.