December 10, 2018, 07:00:28 PM

Author Topic: How McCarthy got fired  (Read 1500 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: How McCarthy got fired
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
I know there's a lot of new posters. But I see a lot of disdain now for the previous way of doing business. A way that was once defended with suspending people who opposed it. Crazy how times change.

If you're talking about me.,

I regret many of my actions, especially from about 2002 to 2010. I had the divorce from hell and I didn't handle it well.  And packer chatters suffered as a result.  More recently, however, I've given out few time outs, zero this year. I'm very pleased with the karma system, it seems to be keeping things here under control with me doing nothing.

For the record, I've given out a few positive karmas and zero negative karmas. I do watch the numbers. And I will step in if someone goes seriously negative.

I was referring to a number of people. Some of whom are not here any longer. I just remember it being a rough place to disagree
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Minny Packer Fan

• Rookie
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »

.  A trade with Oakland makes the most sense.  Trade quarterbacks (Rodgers for Carr), the Raiders 1st, their second round pick and Arden Key.  We'd have 3-1sts, 2-2nds, 1-3rd, and 2-4th round picks in this years draft.  If Gute hits on the picks in this years draft we'd have a ton of cap space in 2020 to fill out the roster.  It would be a quick rebuild.  Key is turning into a real player.

Your plan requires patience on the part of the fans for several years, and the belief that we can find a franchise qb in a reasonable amount of time.  Franchise qbs aren't dropping off the Apple trees. I'm not convinced carr is" the guy. "  The fact that we probably could get a good price for a 36yo qb who just got his coach fired shows how rare these guys are.

We might get a better price from jax.

I agree Carr might not be a franchise quarterback, but with the right coach he's pretty good.  Plus he is signed for 3 or 4 more years and he is cheaper on the salary cap by about $10 million.  I believe he is only 27 or 28 years old.  This plan requires patience but with the current talent level on this team I believe we are 3 to 4 years away from being a elite team.  Building a team with a quality quarterback versus a franchise quarterback requires that the rest of the team be really good.  I think this plan could accomplish that.  Finally, Oakland is $80 million under the cap and can absorb Rodgers contract.

Jax could be a hard team to trade with because they are about $12 million over the cap now and probably could not absorb Rodgers annual cap hit of approximately $30 million per year.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »
One thing that always irked me about McCarthy was that he seemed to go with the plan of "we're better than you and we're gonna beat you" along with refusing to play to his player's strengths.

-Using Richard Rodgers in 2015 like he was an athletic TE. Constantly lining him up split out and trying to get him the ball in the flat to turn up the field and pick up some YAC.

-Consistently going no huddle and lining up John Kuhn and/or Eddie Lacy as WR's with the combination of a bum TE and no deep threat at WR. It got really bad when the RB's would stay on the field, line up at WR, and Cobb would go to the backfield. No disrespect to Lacy or Kuhn, but they probably didn't scare any LB's in coverage. You need the right type of players to run those things.

McCarthy had an imaginative offense at times, but he didn't have the players to run it. It's like he felt his scheme/philosophy/plays were so good, that his players would be successful in it, no matter their limitations.

In goal line, short yardage, and backed up near opponents end zone situations, it was always jumbo type sets. Again, the philosophy of we're going to line up and beat you.

I think he oozed confidence in himself, his coaching ability, his fellow coaches, and his players. Admirable, but eventually a downfall when the league figured out his schemes, his QB, and eventually his team's individual talent level declined.

The problems ran deep and it wasn't just one thing, but I think pure stubborness prevented him from obtaining extended success in the later years of his coaching tenure.

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2018, 03:27:40 AM »
Albeit a lack of talent.... playcalls and execution look the same with Rodgers or Hundley in the huddle.  That’s all I need to know.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
The Packer’s downturn, as has been posted, is a systemic issue:

-Poor drafting the past few years by TT
-some solid players were allowed to leave via FA
-McCarthy’s slow-to-evolve coaching style
-McCarthy’s crony-style coaching hires, -see Winston Moss, Ron Zook AND his predecessor, Shawn Slocum, and last, but certainly not least, Dom Capers-
-Rodger’s celebrity status going to his head. Simply too much time/energy spent doing talk shows, game shows, commercials, celebrity girlfriends and tabloids
-Mark Murphy, for allowing Thompson to linger for at least two years after he appeared to be slipping.

There’s no doubt some significant changes are in order. But Aaron Rodgers being jettisoned won’t be one of them. Right or wrong, Green Bay has made a commitment to him at QB for the next several years.

So hold on to your a$$; we’re in for a most interesting off-season!

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
Some good comments here.  I'll add one more.  Last year after the Rodgers surgery I cautioned folks on this board that Rodgers would be lucky to return to 80% of his normal self.  Guess what, he's about 70%.  His arm was pretty fubarred judged by the 13 pins and 2 plates that were placed in his shoulder.  He lost confidence in his ability to throw down the middle cause he lost a lot of strength.  In addition in game 4 or 5, he did his traditional forearm to forearm slap with an OL after a TD pass and they did it real hard.  I haven't seen him do it with the OL since that event>  I suspect he reaggravated something in his shoulder or throwing arm.  Wasn't around Game 5 things went downhill for us?  Wonder why?

Agree with all the statements about terrible coach selection, terrible and predictable playcalling on offense ie staleness, no creativity.  I'll add one more keeping the wrong worthless coaches and players for far too long!!  (Zook, Capers, Perry, etc.) and nt keeping the good ones (Nelson, Tretter, Hayward, etc.)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
The firing in-season may have been uncharacteristic, but this move by the front office was pure class, as was the response by the players:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/06/packers-players-gave-mike-mccarthy-standing-ovation/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/12/07/mike-mccarthy-took-out-full-page-ad-thank-packers-fans/2244252002/

Many in Wisconsin found a letter from Mc Carthy in their paper.  People can disagree about Mc Carthy's abilities as a coach but everyone has to give him credit the way he has handled himself in certain situations.  He never criticized players in public, even when some took swipes at him.   He could have lashed out at TT for not getting him the right players or for players who didn't do their jobs but he didn't.  He always took the high road