December 10, 2018, 07:00:01 PM

Author Topic: Time to play for a HIGH draft pick...  (Read 458 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Time to play for a HIGH draft pick...
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
Shelf Rodgers and let his knee heel.
Play the final 4 games as evaluation games.
See what you've got in DeShone Kizer.
Shelf Cobb, see what you've got in Equanimeous St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, J'Mon Moore and Jake Kumerow...
Shelf Bulaga, time for Jason Spriggs to show whether or not he belongs in the NFL.
Montravius Adams, James Looney, Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, Josh Jones and Josh Jackson need to play now.

Make this move meaningful, rather than simply satisfying fan bloodlust or placating our increasingly prima-donna all-pro QB.

The Packers top-to-bottom have surrendered any pretense to giving a s*** about the season. Playing for the draft pick at least bring some sense to this chaos if they start the evaluation process now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:18:49 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Time to play for a HIGH draft pick...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »
Think that is going to be the plan except Aaron is going to play.  Believe it or not they are not dead yet. 

If Minny or Seattle lose 3 out of 4 they have a pretty good chance of getting in.  Of course the Pack would also have to rattle off 4 games in a row.  They should play the young guys and let the chips fall where they may.  Thought playoffs were completely hopeless.  When looking at it not quite.  TB (1) WASH (2) Phi (2) Car (2)  Sea (3) Minn (3).  Number in parenthesis is the required losses.  If Minny loses to Sea, Det, and Chi we would have a shot. 

Hey they aren't dead until they are dead.  But they are dead.  I'll be following the other teams until the Packers lose again then totally hang it up. I'll be really curious to see how the team responds next week.  Here is a link for anyone that is interested.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/04/heres-the-packers-hopelessly-optimistic-path-to-the-playoffs/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:17:04 PM by scoremore »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:08:00 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Philbin gets out of them.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »
Shelf Cobb, see what you've got in Equanimeous St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, J'Mon Moore and Jake Kumerow...
Shelf Bulaga, time for Jason Spriggs to show whether or not he belongs in the NFL.
Montravius Adams, James Looney, Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, Josh Jones and Josh Jackson need to play now.

Make this move meaningful, rather than simply satisfying fan bloodlust or placating our increasingly prima-donna all-pro QB.

The Packers top-to-bottom have surrendered any pretense to giving a s*** about the season. Playing for the draft pick at least bring some sense to this chaos if they start the evaluation process now.

Jason Spriggs doesn’t belong in the NFL
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »

Which is sad because I actually liked that pick and move in the draft. Which was rare for me in the TT era.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »

Which is sad because I actually liked that pick and move in the draft. Which was rare for me in the TT era.

I wish he was successful but he hasn’t been. And he’s had more than enough time to prove it.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »
Liked the pick too.  Unlike you guys haven't given up on him yet.  He's got BAK and Bulaga ahead of him.  He needs more reps.  He could still be a player in the future sometime it takes guys longer to develop than others.  I'll agree he hasn't shown much up to this point to warrant any confidence.

Offline yourout

• Second String
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
Liked the pick too.  Unlike you guys haven't given up on him yet.  He's got BAK and Bulaga ahead of him.  He needs more reps.  He could still be a player in the future sometime it takes guys longer to develop than others.  I'll agree he hasn't shown much up to this point to warrant any confidence.

I would rather pilfer someone off a practice squad.
We have seen enough of Spriggs to know he is not NFL material.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »

Disagree. In talking to Larry McCarren at training camp about Spriggs, he said that he has every tool to be an NFL starter. The only thing he needs to do is mentally mature and develop a professional work ethic. Remember that he was only 21 when drafted and was a TE to start his college career. Most OL's sweet-spot is between 26-30. 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »

Disagree. In talking to Larry McCarren at training camp about Spriggs, he said that he has every tool to be an NFL starter. The only thing he needs to do is mentally mature and develop a professional work ethic. Remember that he was only 21 when drafted and was a TE to start his college career. Most OL's sweet-spot is between 26-30.

So he can't mature? That usually is hard to fix. And game reps dont magically make you stronger, smarter, increase work ethic, or improve your abilities in many extents. He get reps during practice. He has film studies. He goes to the weight room. The conditioning. That's where you get better. Game reps simply gauge the Mount of improvement. And he hasn't done much of that.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »

So he can't mature? That usually is hard to fix. And game reps dont magically make you stronger, smarter, increase work ethic, or improve your abilities in many extents. He get reps during practice. He has film studies. He goes to the weight room. The conditioning. That's where you get better. Game reps simply gauge the Mount of improvement. And he hasn't done much of that.

There are no guarantees of anything, only that the talent is there. But for now I will ride with the opinion of a former Pro Bowler who played over 10 years in the NFL, who just happens to watch these guys on a daily basis. 

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

Kenny Clark was like 20-21 when he was drafted. Look how good he is.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:28 AM »
I thought Spriggs played decent on Sunday. It was far from a disaster performance. I mean that's kind of what you're hoping for out of your backup tackle given the state of quality OL league wide.

Certainly there was hope that he was going to solidify the RT spot for a number of years, dissapointing that he hasn't been able to do that. Despite that not happening, I think it's far fetched to say the kid doesn't belong in the NFL. While Kyle Murphy was getting beaten like a drum in the preseason, Spriggs was quietly having solid games. It took him all summer to come back full speed from his 2017 injuries. Then early this season, more injuries struck.

It's easy to dismiss him as a bust, but I think it's fair to label him with an unknown potential due to year 2 being lost to injury and year 3 being hampered by injury as well as being #3 on the depth chart. I think it would be foolish to move on from him at this point, especially when the team really needs to focus on upgrading the RG pass blocking.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 01:53:03 AM »
A few of the guys mentioned in the OP have already played near starter level snaps this season. Jackson and Valdes-Scantling specifically. Gilbert has played near 50% snaps and Jones will continue to get full starter snaps due to secondary injuries, Campbell going to IR, and Clinton-Dix being gone. He's been averaging just a tick under 60 snaps per game over the past 5 weeks.

Jackson has mostly struggled. He can't run with guys and NFL QB's are able to zip the ball in before he can make a play on the ball. Early in the season he got burned numerous times trying to make a diving pass breakup, giving up huge YAC in the process. As the season progresses, he's no longer making those plays on the ball and is staying on his feet and limiting the YAC. He's looking a lot like Quinten Rollins. Hopefully he makes a jump technique wise going into next season or perhaps give him a look at FS.

MVS is playing a ton but looks like he's hit the rookie wall. Not a half of football goes by that we don't see the TV cameras picking up an eye roll from #12 after an ugly incompletion to MVS. Certainly some work to be done there yet. The tools are all clearly there.

I'm very confused on Oren Burks. He's only played 33 snaps the last 6 weeks after playing 73 in the prior 3. Clearly something there that the coaches didn't like. Early in the year, it was clear Green Bay was going to roll with 3 DL packages quite often. Injuries derailed that. I wonder if Burks being left on the sidelines as the season has progressed has anything to do with needing to go bigger at ILB. Just a thought.

Excited to see Donnerson play. Big history in the NFL of young pass rushers just popping out of seemingly nowhere. Some guys just have it. Hoping Donnerson will be that guy.

It's Montravius Adams's time to step up. Big Mo's been on IR almost all season and now Daniels. He's been seeing solid rotational snaps for 5 weeks now, but it's been fairly quiet.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 05:33:43 AM »
Back on topic. What playing untested players and benching starters means is that you've given up.Quit. That you are rooting for your team to lose so they can do better in the draft. You're not putting your best players on the field- you're putting in players who you hope will help you lose more games. This is a losing attitude. If the team can turn things around, play better and win out, they'll have something to build on. Tank now, and they have nothing to look back on with pride. Only the bitter taste of quitting.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid