December 10, 2018, 07:09:20 PM

Author Topic: Time to play for a HIGH draft pick...  (Read 459 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Time to play for a HIGH draft pick...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
In no way am I saying quit. The Packers folded on this season when they decided to fire their HC during the season. Hopefully it was done to begin the process of change. I am saying put young guys put on the field to get them experience and to evaluate how they fit in the plan of change going forward. The expectation should be quitting on the field will not be tolerated

The supposed front office justification for the timing of such an unprecedented firing was to get a head start on the process of change. What do the Packers gain by playing an injured Aaron Rodgers? He won't learn anything and the Packers won't learn anything about him. Ditto Tramon Williams, will the Packers gain or learn by playing in for the rest of the season?

The Packers decided to do a bloodletting, frankly I think they had to cut any players they don't have any intention to bring it back next year right now. If the goal is championships, start that process today. Quite the opposite of quitting in my opinion.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
Back on topic. What playing untested players and benching starters means is that you've given up.Quit. That you are rooting for your team to lose so they can do better in the draft. You're not putting your best players on the field- you're putting in players who you hope will help you lose more games. This is a losing attitude. If the team can turn things around, play better and win out, they'll have something to build on. Tank now, and they have nothing to look back on with pride. Only the bitter taste of quitting.

Agree completely.  Losing is an attitude that's hard to reverse once it is accepted.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Agree with Bruce.  The guys who play should be playing hard and playing to prove they can be part of a winning future.  If cats like Moore, Donnerson, Looney, Greene are playing like quitters, then they are losers!  Young guys fighting for their careers will be playing plenty hard.  Win or lose, I don't think guys playing really hard is "quitting". 

Bruce, not sure on sitting Rodgers.  Obviously I don't know how injures he is, or what if anything is wrong with him physically.  There may be lots, which may contribute to why his throws are so wildly inaccurate, I don't know. 

I'd certainly be interested in seeing Kizer, like you. 

However, I think it might be really helpful to see whether the rookie receivers (and TE Tonyan) show any improvement or inkling of progress working with Rodgers.  If Moore got some snaps and made some catches, and showed some consistent professionalism, that might be significant information.  If MVS showed more capacity to have a clue, and to catch what's catchable, things might look a little different.  As fans, we will all hope that the rookies will improve over the summer and be better next year.  But it may simply be that St. Brown is kind of a stiff straight-line guy who doesn't have the shiftiness to get open; or that MVS is very fast but lacks the change-of-direction flexibility to ever be more than a #4-type guy.  So, I think a little more work with Rodgers might give everybody more info on whether to envision them as part of the future solution, or part of the present and future problem....

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
B, if you sit Rodgers and put in players as if it is the exhibition season, you've quit on winning this season. And craig, I don't believe the guys you cited (Moore, Donnerson, Looney, Greene) are quitting, I'm just not sure they're NFL starter quality. These guys are playing because the Packers literally have so many injured players, these guys are being pressed into service. Now, the problem with sitting Rodgers is that the WR's will have a QB they have very limited experience playing with throwing them passes. This won't help the younger players develop more chemistry with the starter (Rodgers). And what about the OL? Right now, Bakhtiari, Bulaga and Taylor are playing with injuries that are affecting their play. Putting in the backups would not make the life of the QB, either AR or Kizer, any easier. And it would make it more difficult for Jones or Williams to find holes to make plays.

In brief, if you bench your starters, you're quitting this season, tanking, giving up. IMO. Because the backups are not ready to start. Whether this is on TT for not drafting well, or the coaches for not doing a better job of developing these guys can be argued endlessly. Doesn't matter at this point. Fact is, the backups are not ready.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
Like Ricky i don't want to see the Packers work too hard at tanking. While it gives a higher pick, at the same time it sends a very bad message.

There is a middle-ground though. For example, you could allow Kizer to play a quarter of each game, give more (not all) snaps to younger guys like J.Jones, O.Burks, J.Moore, some of the OL who haven't seen much play time. Play to win but allow more time to see what the young guys have. Let the results fall where they may, winning is good for the team, losing is not, but nets a higher draft spot.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
I agree OneTwoSixFive, though I have to repeat, I do not see playing, evaluating and developing younger guys as tanking.

ricky, in case you haven't noticed those starters are already losing. Play to win, but be all in on the process of change that began with regime change. What is gained by playing an injured Aaron Rodgers besides inflating his career stats VS what is gained in getting him fully healthy and developing Kiser. Further, doing so is nothing like an exhibition game where a team is trying to get film on 90 guys. What is gained by investing playing time to guys the team has no intention of being a part of the team going forward.

The team has chosen a change now mode as an immediate investment in winning tomorrow. Don't be half assed about it. Go for it full throttle.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi