December 10, 2018, 06:27:01 PM

Author Topic: Winston Moss fired  (Read 947 times)

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
Winston Moss fired
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »
Moss fired today.

Was Associate head coach & linebackers coach.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:22:49 PM by marklawrence »
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Winston Moss fired
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
Moss fired today.

Was he the one who said the organization needs to start holding people accountable?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
Moss fired today.

Was he the one who said the organization needs to start holding people accountable?

Yes

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
Moss fired today.

This is what he said.

Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
Post this on tweeter this morning and let go this afternoon. Not a big fan of his, but do respect his conviction. Had to know he was firing himself.

Winston Moss

@Insanecane99
Follow
Follow @Insanecane99

More
Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!
8:59 AM - 4 Dec 2018

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
Post this on tweeter this morning and let go this afternoon. Not a big fan of his, but do respect his conviction. Had to know he was firing himself.

Winston Moss

@Insanecane99
Follow
Follow @Insanecane99

More
8:59 AM - 4 Dec 2018

The tweet is still up.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »
From what I recall, his position groups haven't exactly been stellar. Maybe they thought he was part of the problem.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:32:30 PM »
From what I recall, his position groups haven't exactly been stellar. Maybe they thought he was part of the problem.

That tweet didn’t help.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »

That tweet didn’t help.

I agree. They probably used his advice and cut dead weight

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
I think it speaks to what a mess Green Bay has become with this poorly timed firing of Mike McCarthy.

Reminded by interviewer that the Packers job is a great job, Arians didn’t dispute that fact.

“Yeah, it is,” Arians said. “I have no desire to coach in Green Bay.”

There is a reason the Packers never before in their long storied history fired a coach during the season. Coaches take note of organizational culture and class, and firing a 13 year head coach with a Super Bowl ring, a 125-77-2 career record, nine playoff appearances, a 15-1 season with 4 games left in the season  doesn't speak well for the health or culture of the organization

I have no objection to letting MM go, but it was done in an classless manner. Firing Moss was an inevitability, but could have been done at the end of the season.

GB has moved from being seen as a well managed and respected organization, to a ship quickly taking on water...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:18:33 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 04:25:52 AM »
I think it speaks to what a mess Green Bay has become with this poorly timed firing of Mike McCarthy.

Reminded by interviewer that the Packers job is a great job, Arians didn’t dispute that fact.

“Yeah, it is,” Arians said. “I have no desire to coach in Green Bay.”

There is a reason the Packers never before in their long storied history fired a coach during the season. Coaches take note of organizational culture and class, and firing a 13 year head coach with a Super Bowl ring, a 125-77-2 career record, nine playoff appearances, a 15-1 season with 4 games left in the season  doesn't speak well for the health or culture of the organization

I have no objection to letting MM go, but it was done in an classless manner. Firing Moss was an inevitability, but could have been done at the end of the season.

GB has moved from being seen as a well managed and respected organization, to a ship quickly taking on water...

That tweet by Moss was unwarranted especially by a assistant head coach

Offline packlaw

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:31:45 AM »
Every one agrees that McCarthy needed to fired, then why the classless comments.  This team needed to change its attitude now and start the reformation process.  I have heard the cons of the timing of the firing; but the firing should be more beneficial to both sides.  McCarthy has time to ponder his future and start applying for other HC jobs and the team can go in another direction and have the time to make a good decision on the next coach. Whatever the innate problems are within the team, I am sure they are being addressed.  It appears Moss may have been one of them.  There is a lot of change coming, as Packer fans we aren't familiar with the situations were in as we have been spoiled by success.  Having been a fan since 59, I still remember the 70s and 80s...this is not those times and this group of leaders moves fast...take heart...

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 04:47:39 AM »
Every one agrees that McCarthy needed to fired, then why the classless comments.  This team needed to change its attitude now and start the reformation process.  I have heard the cons of the timing of the firing; but the firing should be more beneficial to both sides.  McCarthy has time to ponder his future and start applying for other HC jobs and the team can go in another direction and have the time to make a good decision on the next coach. Whatever the innate problems are within the team, I am sure they are being addressed.  It appears Moss may have been one of them.  There is a lot of change coming, as Packer fans we aren't familiar with the situations were in as we have been spoiled by success.  Having been a fan since 59, I still remember the 70s and 80s...this is not those times and this group of leaders moves fast...take heart...

I couldn’t agree more. Had to happen in season.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
This could well be part of a bigger problem in Green Bay: that Aaron Rodgers has now become the franchise. That he has become bigger than the team. Moss specifically called out Rodgers to be held accountable. He was the only Packers player specifically named. A few hours later, he's fired. Now the search is on for a new head coach. And you can bet the house that Rodgers will be an important part of the decision making process. He is the highest paid player in the league; he has, I now believe, effectively gotten his HC fired. He is the face of the franchise, and unless the new coach can rein in Rodgers, this team will never make another SB with him at QB. Why? Because Rodgers' ego simply wouldn't let him have anyone else be the deciding factor in winning games. There is a tug-of-war over control of the team, and management needs to make a decision- is this the Green Bay Packers or Aaron Rodgers and the rest?

LMG suggested that perhaps it is time to trade Rodgers to another team in return for whatever the Packers can get. That might not be a radical opinion. Perhaps sending him to the Jets for two firsts and Darnold would be acceptable to Packers fans? Or how about this: if MM is hired in Cleveland, send AR to Cleveland for Mayfield and two firsts. That would be flat out hilarious, and somehow, fitting. It seems that the Packers have indeed ended up in the same position they were when Favre became "bigger than the team". And the ending could very well be the same. So, as with getting rid of MM before the end of the season, why not cut ties with Rodgers while he is still a valuable commodity, take some lumps, and then go on a Patriots type winning streak as a best case scenario? Or, a QB search similar to the Browns, in a worst case scenario. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
The gist of what Moss said wasn't wrong. Some have been calling for the organization to hold players and coaches accountable for a while now. Should he have said that on Twitter? Probably not, but it was a relatively benign comment as far as Twitter goes. It's only a firing offense if the people named in it are too thin-skinned to take any criticism or there are other underlying problems with Moss where this was the last straw.