December 10, 2018, 06:36:01 PM

Author Topic: Winston Moss fired  (Read 948 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: Winston Moss fired
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 06:56:05 AM »
This goes back to one of the things I've been harping about.  Why do we keep non-performing players and non-performing coaches around for three years after they were decent.  Linebackers are pathetic.  Not all of that is his fault, because the higher ups have failed miserably recognizing the importance of the LB position.  No talent, no speed and no coaching at this position since Kevin Greene left!!!!!

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
My guess is that Moss was probably angry that he was looked over to be the interim coach, thinking that he alone could instill some discipline that he thought was lacking and secure the head coaching job next year. (This is conjecture, obviously)

Could you imagine if Moss WAS the interim and he started benching Rodgers after a poor half? This team would fall apart instantly and become more of a laughing stock.

You simply don't publicly air grievances at a time when Philbin is trying to bring this team together and motivate them to finish the season.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
This goes back to one of the things I've been harping about.  Why do we keep non-performing players and non-performing coaches around for three years after they were decent.  Linebackers are pathetic.  Not all of that is his fault, because the higher ups have failed miserably recognizing the importance of the LB position.  No talent, no speed and no coaching at this position since Kevin Greene left!!!!!

The Packers allowed their organization to become a retirement home for Capers and Thompson.  Thats your standard for a DC?, bottom feeding year after year after year.  That change should have been made 5 years ago and Thompson gone 3 years ago when he couldnt put sentences together.  They need a coach who isnt afraid to bench Rodgers when needed, and fire coaches after repeated piss poor years.  It needs to become a football team with standards, not a country club.

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
For all that is being said, and much of it true, I still fault Thompson more than anyone, because this team is not exactly loaded with talent - and that is an understatement. As a talent evaluator, trader, free agent participant (comical) and overall roster builder, he was mediocre at best. How many players on this roster actually rate as above NFL average? Not many is the answer to the question.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
I think Moss' firing goes back further than this one tweet.

Wasn't it last yr he had an interview that wasn't well received by most fans...

Also...maybe because of his rough critical interviews...he was the only Packer Coach not privy to the media...

M3 wouldn't fire him but he did put a gag order on him

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »

The Packers allowed their organization to become a retirement home for Capers and Thompson.  Thats your standard for a DC?, bottom feeding year after year after year.  That change should have been made 5 years ago and Thompson gone 3 years ago when he couldnt put sentences together.  They need a coach who isnt afraid to bench Rodgers when needed, and fire coaches after repeated piss poor years.  It needs to become a football team with standards, not a country club.

I think these past couple of years or so Thompson was mentally compromised. If
you know I mean.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
Moss has had a lot of issues this year that appear to be toxic. McCarthy kept him when he should have been fired and gave him the fake title of associate Head Coach. Who knew which actually had the real power. Obviously Moss felt he should have been name Head Coach as he already had it in his title. Now there has been several positions that were created that they actually don't need and might be causing Chaos.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
It's kind of weird, there was a time when Moss was talked about as a quality, rising-career type guy, with media talk suggesting he might be a head coach or defensive-coordinator candidate.  Didn't he get several D-coordinator interviews some years back? 

Think the tweet fits with his persona: tough, gruff, take-no-guff hard guy, with no flattery or smooth talk, just a snarly straight-shooter. 

The persona doesn't really speak to the ability to coach and teach; based on his press conferences, he seemed to be a pretty poor communicator, and it's somewhat hard for me to imagine him having been a very good teacher as a result. 

For him, I assume he knew that with MM gone, and with his linebacker crowd being so unproductive, he probably knew he was going to be cleared out after the season anyway.  Not sure getting fired bothers him much. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »
It's kind of weird, there was a time when Moss was talked about as a quality, rising-career type guy, with media talk suggesting he might be a head coach or defensive-coordinator candidate.  Didn't he get several D-coordinator interviews some years back? 

Think the tweet fits with his persona: tough, gruff, take-no-guff hard guy, with no flattery or smooth talk, just a snarly straight-shooter. 

The persona doesn't really speak to the ability to coach and teach; based on his press conferences, he seemed to be a pretty poor communicator, and it's somewhat hard for me to imagine him having been a very good teacher as a result. 

For him, I assume he knew that with MM gone, and with his linebacker crowd being so unproductive, he probably knew he was going to be cleared out after the season anyway.  Not sure getting fired bothers him much.

Agree, I think Moss knew he was heading out after the season and will try to follow McCarthy wherever he goes.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
I think we are all now coming to the bleated conclusion that the change took to long.

This means, Capers, TT and MM.    Maybe even AR.

GB does not look like a very attractive place to be right now.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
I think we are all now coming to the bleated conclusion that the change took to long.

There were some posters who were calling for the replacement of MM/TT several years ago. There weren't a lot of them, but they were vocal. And for the most part, they were ignored and villified as "haters". Now it seems they were visionaries. Perhaps it was they, like Moss, simply were a bit too caustic in their criticisms, and came across as contrarians during a time when the team was winning games, making the playoffs, and making it to the championship game three times (though only once successfully). It is difficult to see problems when things are going well. But when things fall apart, then we all are on that "change" bandwagon. Perhaps the posters who have been calling for change for the last few years should take a well deserved bow, and we should all be more willing to listen to those "contrarians" in the future.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:46:30 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »

When I think of Winston Moss, I also think of Mike Singletary (two peas in a pod type guys), and Mike hasn't been exactly "stellar" when it comes to coaching/leading an NFL team. So there's my Moss comparison.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »

From the view of a fan your opinion is acceptable. Ask the players and they would tell you a completely different story. You don't get to where he is in the NFL being what you described, it just doesn't happen.

The idea that every interview and person speaking needs to cater to the media and fans is an entitled one. Bill Belichick is a notorious media party pooper. Do we think he's a poor communicator and coach based his press conferences? No.

I always liked his press conferences. He answered all questions and if you asked a stupid question like "What's the most important thing so and so needs to work on." He would say "Everything is important. Needs to work on everything" He got asked a lot of dumb questions. Like McCarthy never threw any of his players under the bus and treated them like men. He'll find another job.

EDIT: And based on all "reports" and speculation surrounding the Packers atm his tweet was right on the money.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:07:50 PM by claymaker »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »

From the view of a fan your opinion is acceptable. Ask the players and they would tell you a completely different story. You don't get to where he is in the NFL being what you described, it just doesn't happen.

The idea that every interview and person speaking needs to cater to the media and fans is an entitled one. Bill Belichick is a notorious media party pooper. Do we think he's a poor communicator and coach based his press conferences? No.

I always liked his press conferences. He answered all questions and if you asked a stupid question like "What's the most important thing so and so needs to work on." He would say "Everything is important. Needs to work on everything" He got asked a lot of dumb questions. Like McCarthy never threw any of his players under the bus and treated them like men. He'll find another job.

EDIT: And based on all "reports" and speculation surrounding the Packers atm his tweet was right on the money.

Agree. People want to discredit him now, but he knowingly fell on his sword to get out the message of a leadership issue. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »

Well not 'all' have come to your same conclusion. First credibility go's out the window when you lump everyone together. Yes the Packers needed a defensive scheme change a couple of years ago and the vast majority were in agreement even then. TT's time because of age and health ended when it should have, if not for the demands of the job it would be good if he was still running things. I had posted a link to a draft analysis before the draft last year and even with the brutal 2015 draft results the Packers were the 12th ranking drafting team in the last 5 years. If the results taken back to 2005 and TT's first year, the Packers have been the 2nd best drafting team in the NFL during that period. I know people hate the facts because they distort their narration of the blame game, but TT wasn't a problem, he was a valuable asset to the Packers.

As for MM, this is really debatable. I was for a change at the end of last season and that is documented in my posting on here at the time, but I also understand giving him another go at it. Would we even be discussing this topic if Rodgers was not playing as poorly as he is? In hindsight it seems like the right amount of time for him as well, nothing is forever.

As for AR, that bed is made and Packers Nation is living with him for years to come whether they like it or not. I brought up trading him before the draft this past draft (also documented) and some on here about had a kitten, but the trade ship has sailed and the Packers just need to find a way to make it work.