December 10, 2018, 05:57:50 PM

Author Topic: Did the packers squander Aaron?  (Read 390 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:42:12 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline packlaw

• Second String
Re: Did the packers squander Aaron?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
The short answer is yes.  As the Packer's could of won more during the Favre years because the front office didn't provide him with better receivers, Rodgers' front office didn't give him a championship defense or quality special teams play. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
Thompsons  poor drafting and keeping Capers around way past his usefulness didnt help. This league is about performance.  Everyone can have a bad year but 5 in a row should send up warning bells.  It sure didnt take long for Philbin to get rid of Moss.  Standards!!!

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
 Over the last few years we can say Capers, TT and MM had a falloff. Can we say Rodgers' career was squandered? Nope, it's not over and he's going to bring us another SB.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
I was in the Tampa Airport a little over a year ago and while I was waiting for my flight, I decided to have a $15. beer in a crowd bar. There was only one stool available so that was an easy choice. As I sat there the two gentlemen to my right were talking Buccaneers football and the meat of the conversation was about how the Buccaneers were wasting Gerald McCoy's best years of his career and how it would be a shame if they didn't win a SB with him. The point of the story is that every teams fans believe the team has squander something/someone.

As packlaw stated, the short answer is yes. Every opportunity that was not maximized to its fullest is a missed/squandered opportunity. Those obsessed with the need to blame someone will carry on beating the same dead horses until the next failure and than they move on to the next whipping boys. The great thing about football is their will always be someone to blame. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If this question is really something to ponder, is it not fair to ask the question 'Did Aaron squander the Packers'?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
Over the last few years we can say Capers, TT and MM had a falloff. Can we say Rodgers' career was squandered? Nope, it's not over and he's going to bring us another SB.
Agree on Rodgers being squandered, but I think he has another run in him.  It starts with a new HC, a nucleus to keep, a couple of good drafts, and making some smart affordable FA decisions.  Gotta give Gute a shot at fixing this.  He had some good moves around the draft, signed Fuller from the Bears, its not a overnight fix, but I feel better they arent going down the same dead end street.  I think with a new HC, Rodgers is going to prove a lot of people wrong next year, and it may even start sooner than that.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:07:29 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
Did Denver squander Elway? Did Miami squander Marino? Did the Packers squander Favre? Did the Colts squander Manning? Despite the continued success of the Patriots, getting into the playoffs, much less getting to the SB is really, really hard. The Packers made it to the championship game three times with Rodgers. The 2014 loss is still a deep, deep disappointment. Not scoring in the red zone was a killer for the Packers that day. Choose your player and make your argument. Could the team have done more? Sure. But are we having this discussion without the exceptional success of the Pats?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Yes they did.  It has been disconcerting how many times the Packers front office and coaching staff has looked like amateur hour over the last 4 years.

That being said, a number of teams would have done much worse, but they would have probably been fired quicker.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
Did Denver squander Elway? Did Miami squander Marino? Did the Packers squander Favre? Did the Colts squander Manning? Despite the continued success of the Patriots, getting into the playoffs, much less getting to the SB is really, really hard. The Packers made it to the championship game three times with Rodgers. The 2014 loss is still a deep, deep disappointment. Not scoring in the red zone was a killer for the Packers that day. Choose your player and make your argument. Could the team have done more? Sure. But are we having this discussion without the exceptional success of the Pats?

Elway?

Didn't he make it to, like, 4-5 SB's and won 2 of them?

If that were a Rodger's led Packers, I think we would be less harsh about squandering Aaron.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
I was in the Tampa Airport a little over a year ago and while I was waiting for my flight, I decided to have a $15. beer in a crowd bar. There was only one stool available so that was an easy choice. As I sat there the two gentlemen to my right were talking Buccaneers football and the meat of the conversation was about how the Buccaneers were wasting Gerald McCoy's best years of his career and how it would be a shame if they didn't win a SB with him. The point of the story is that every teams fans believe the team has squander something/someone.

As packlaw stated, the short answer is yes. Every opportunity that was not maximized to its fullest is a missed/squandered opportunity. Those obsessed with the need to blame someone will carry on beating the same dead horses until the next failure and than they move on to the next whipping boys. The great thing about football is their will always be someone to blame. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If this question is really something to ponder, is it not fair to ask the question 'Did Aaron squander the Packers'?

The problem with this, is that no one in the sports world, aside from bucs fans, thought they ever had a shot. On the other hand, every NFL analyst, coach, media outlet, all expected the Packers to win more because of the potential the franchise had with certain key players. Unfortunately, management didnt want to dip outside their own pot much to get that slight edge over the hump.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »

People were having those conversations long before the Patriots' success. Marino was the poster child for a HOF player with no support. When the Dolphins lost to the Niners in his lone Super Bowl, everyone was convinced the Dolphins would be back, but they never did. The expectations for Miami were high because they had been to the Super Bowl the year before they drafted Marino just two years prior. Clearly there was a nucleus of talent there early on. But the rest of his career it was always the lack of running game and defense holding them back which was surprising given the great 70s Dolphins under the same coach had a great running game (Csonka, Kiick, Morris) and great No-Name Defense.

Favre was being compared to Aikman, Kelly, and Elway success-wise. All went to multiple Super Bowls during Favre's career. Ron Wolf is still disappointed they only won once, referring to it as a fart in the wind. He had built that team to have a long run, and the window closed quickly. The later years after that the defense was largely in the bottom half of the league in points allowed while the offense was in the top 10 in points scored nearly every year. 4th and 26 is probably the moment that best typifies the Sherman years.

The "squandering his career" label usually arises when a team has a noticeable flaw year after year that isn't corrected giving the impression the team isn't doing enough to fix it, whether that's a fair assessment or not. It's largely why the Bills weren't seen as squandering Jim Kelly's career. They didn't win a Super Bowl, but they went to four straight and were doing everything they could to win one during that run. They just got let down by a kicker in one and beaten by better teams in the others. The same criticism is made of teams in other sports like the Atlanta Braves who won their division 14 out of 15 years, but only won one World Series despite having four HOFers.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
Did the Packers squander Aaron.........absolutely not.

Did they squander  EVERYONE ON THE TEAM  probably, to some degree.

It's still a team game, not one played for the sake of one player.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"