March 24, 2019, 08:25:04 AM

Author Topic: reggie mc kenzie  (Read 405 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
reggie mc kenzie
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000998498/article/raiders-fire-general-manager-reggie-mckenzie

Nobody should be surprised by this.  He is well regarded in the league- he should get another job in a personnel department if not as a GM.  There seem to be a lot of people in the Cleveland personnel side- Wonder if Gute is interested in having back here and if he would be interested in returning

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: reggie mc kenzie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
Apparently this is now Gruden's team, for better or worse. The upcoming draft should be very interesting in Oakland. Two first round picks, and they need to hit on both of them. The real question is whether they draft a QB with one of those picks, and do a complete reset of the offense.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »
They have three first round picks this year and two next year. 

The question is, with what the odds are on hitting all three extra picks, how can they possibly think they are going to get players like Mack and Cooper?  Mack might be the best defensive player in the NFL right now, if not him then its Donald.  Cooper has transformed the Cowboys offense singlehandedly.  They are going to the playoffs because of him.

Just recall, the year before last, Oakland was a 12-4 team.  They failed to advance in the playoffs because Carr got hurt.  If he is lucky, Gruden may win four games this year.

Plus, those two other first round picks do not look like they will be very high in the draft, mainly because as I said above, those two players made Dallas and Chicago.

IMHO, the Raiders did not need to scuttle the team.  I think Gruden did this, at least partly, to get rid of McKenzie to he could be the coach and GM.  And the silly Mark Davis allowed it.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
What a train wreck!

Personally I think the Raider “brain trust” did Reggie a solid by firing him. Agree he’ll land on his feet elsewhere in a short time, and likely in a situation that appreciates his skill set. My guess is he’ll wait and see if another favorable GM position comes open, but absent that I wouldn’t be shocked if he returned to Green Bay in some kind of personnel/scouting capacity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:15:41 PM by JQ »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:46:45 AM »
It is possible that McKenzie lands back in GB, but just think he would prefer somewhere else. My first guess would be KC. He worked with Reid in GB, his son was drafted by KC this year and what better way to stick it to the Raiders than taking the Marcus Allen route and going to the rival Chiefs.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:51 AM »
It is possible that McKenzie lands back in GB, but just think he would prefer somewhere else. My first guess would be KC. He worked with Reid in GB, his son was drafted by KC this year and what better way to stick it to the Raiders than taking the Marcus Allen route and going to the rival Chiefs.

That might be a stretch to imagine since Chris Shea already served in a role that would likely be afforded to Reggie in GB (assistant director of football operations/personnel).
Currently I could only see them hiring him in a “consultant” capacity.
Would Teggie accept that role? Maybe.
But he would be handed more of a voice and authority in HB.
 twocents)