June 16, 2019, 05:41:29 AM

Author Topic: The Greatness of Patrick Mahomes  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
The Greatness of Patrick Mahomes
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
Its not often I use the G word for a guy in his first season, but this guy merits it.

I now know why Reid was willing to trade Smith.  I think Mahomes will win the MVP award.  43 TDs, over 4000 yards passing, and 11 interceptions. With three games left.  Has anyone ever thrown that many TDs in their first year?

This guy has just so much natural ability, that he does things you cannot teach, like flip the ball to your left hand to complete a pass since he knows the guy is grabbing his right. And wow what an arm.

Man did the Bears screw up or what?  They could have had the best defensive player and the best QB in the game, but they decided to TRADE UP for Trubisky, who looks about average.

That was a life saver for us. Because we would be looking at a dynasty.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:14:42 PM by Gregg »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The Greatness of Patrick Mahomes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
mahones is having an outstanding first year. But it seems I've heard this sort of praise before, specifically about the Eagles Wentz. Remember Dak Prescott's first year? Also very good. Though neither is in the same level of excellence as Mahones in his first year. Now, compare him with Dan Marino, and see if there is some equivalance in their second years. Seems very similar. But a dynasty if he was on the Bears? Marino made it to one SB, lost, and never returned. So, although Mahones is probably the MVP frontrunner, lets see what happens once they hit the playoffs, and especially if they make the SB. Then, lets see what his second full year is like, and see what transpires once teams have more film on him, discover his tendencies, and make moves to counter his strenghs. It happens all the time, and expect it to happen again. It could well be that KC is this year's Philly, where the stars aligned perfectly and they won it all with a backup QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariDa00.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:06:48 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
BTW, if Mahomes does what I think he will do, that is throw for  over 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns, he will be only the second QB in history to do so.

It took Peyton Manning about 15 years to achieve that feat.

If he does it, Mahomes will have achieved it in his first season.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:47:58 AM by Gregg »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
BTW, if Mahomes does what I think he will do, that is throw for  over 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns, he will be only the second QB in history to do so.

Is Mahones having a season for the ages? Absolutely. Will he continue to play at that level for years to come? Ask me at the end of years to come.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »

Is Mahones having a season for the ages? Absolutely. Will he continue to play at that level for years to come? Ask me at the end of years to come.

If he does win the Super bowl he would have achieved what Favre and Rodgers have also done.  I agree that if he does not play at this crazy level then he might just average only 30 TD a year and only 4000 yards per year, but I think the Chiefs would still take those numbers for future years. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 04:54:26 AM »
I watch Mahomes and I can't help but think that while everyone else is playing NFL football, Mahomes is playing Madden.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
Best nickname of the year.  Pat Mahome(boy)

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:54:16 AM »
First time to see him play an entire game was against the Pats. Wasn’t impressed. twocents)
“What’s going on out there”

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
First time to see him play an entire game was against the Pats. Wasn’t impressed. twocents)

I've watched every chiefs game this year. Sorry, you're just wrong.

And, btw, you should have known that: 50 TDs in his rookie year.

He's the real thing, and I'd take him over Aaron in a heartbeat.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
If the TOP had been reversed, Mahomes would have thrown for 600 yards against a BB defense.

An all time record.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
Mahones is not a classic passer, but more a a gunslinger, ala Favre. And that will catch up with him sooner or later. Oddly enough, a couple days before the championship games, the NFL Channel had a replay of the Favre led Vikings/Saiints, the infamous "Bountygate" game. Well, Favre's final throw (an interception) was thrown across his body, across the field. Later, there was a compilation of Mahones and his incredible throws. And there was one that was identical to Favire's throw, only it went for a completion. How long will he be able to defy the odds? Year one was magnificent. Lets see how he does next year and the following years. Is that too much to ask?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
Mahones is not a classic passer, but more a a gunslinger, ala Favre. And that will catch up with him sooner or later. Oddly enough, a couple days before the championship games, the NFL Channel had a replay of the Favre led Vikings/Saiints, the infamous "Bountygate" game. Well, Favre's final throw (an interception) was thrown across his body, across the field. Later, there was a compilation of Mahones and his incredible throws. And there was one that was identical to Favire's throw, only it went for a completion. How long will he be able to defy the odds? Year one was magnificent. Lets see how he does next year and the following years. Is that too much to ask?

Fair enough.

But you can't deny that he has top shelf talent.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »
Fair enough.

But you can't deny that he has top shelf talent.

Of course he's talented. He had a year that was unprecedented in NFL history. But, before I give him a guaranteed first ballot to the HOF, which some on here seem to want to do, lets see what the seasons to follow hold.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
KC fired their DC about 48 hours after the game.  It should not have taken that long.

What an atrocious performance. 

They hired the guy I like, Spagnuolo.