January 18, 2019, 06:13:52 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread  (Read 2301 times)

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
There will be plenty of cap space this off-season. One good off-season can put this team in the playoffs, just look at NO. Yes, even though the Bears won the division, they still SUCK!

Same ol' Bears. Good defense, good special teams, so-so offense.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
Stop me if you've heard this one before: The Packers are playing OK, but are trailing at the half. Then they catch their breath in the third quarter, only to fade and lose on poor play in all phases of the game in the fourth quarter. This has been a recurring nightmare for this team all year, outside of the first Bears game. So, what is the problem? This team doesn't know how to finish. Can a new coach get them back to believing in themselves? Can an influx of rookies and FA's bring in a winning attitude?

Stop me if you've heard this one before: The Packers are decimated by injuries, yet fight through adversity to keep the score close. They show some grit and determination, not giving up but not clicking. Until the third quarter arrives, when they show what they are capable of doing. Then, the magic ends, because the backups simply can't keep the healthier, and therefore more talented team from finally showing what they are capable of achieving.
 to
Either scenario is feasible. Decide whether the glass is half full or half empty, and proceed from there. Take a look at the injured reserve for the Packers, and they are missing: Geronimo Allison, Byron Bell, Ibraheim Campbell, Tra Carson, Mike Daniels, Trevor Davis, Raven Greene, Davon House, Kevin King, Kyle Murphy, Nick Perry, Jake Ryan, Muhammad Wilkerson. Here is a list of all the players on IR for all teams,to prove its not just the Packers who are losing players: https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/injured-reserve.html

That is six starters on IR. And some backups that are missed because even though not starters, at least they are viable options. Sure, Perry is a punching bag, as is Bell, and both are probably gone next year. But there is a fair amount of talented players who could have contributed to the team, especially as backups and ST's.

To all those who are predicting years of rebuilding, not really. A possession receiver who has chemistry with AR? Allison. A good corner who can cover bigger, taller WR's? King (IF he can stay healthy- an increasingly larger "IF"). Backups in the secondary? Lots to choose from. There needs to be some additions on the OL, and if Madison can clear up his personal problems, he could be a possibility to plug one of the holes on the right side of the line. Hit on draft choice, and the OL is rebuilt (hopefully). The real question is whether Rodgers is having an off year due to problems with MM, or is he declining? If the latter, all bets are off. But I remain hopeful, trying to remain realistic without being cynical.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
When your qb is utterly outplayed by Mitch Trubisky, it might be time to honestly assess your qb.

Let's be fair, Rodgers missed some throws, but the bears dodnt complete a throw over ten yards until sometime in the second quarter. Their playcalling is a high percentage short pass offense. If Rodgers had that, and at least half the protection trubisky had, the packers would be good to go.

Trubiski had nearly double Aaron's passer rating, just one measure, I know.

True, but maybe two of his throws were noteworthy.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
 I don't think the Packers need a rebuild, but a reboot. They need an edge rusher, or two, a G, a OT? They need a young TE that can stretch a defense. They need two safeties and a fast MLB. They could also use another WR, maybe one that can play the slot. That's a lot that they need. Now, it's possible to get all this in one off-season. If all goes right, the playoffs are possible.

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
 The Bears pretty much mortgaged their 2019 draft to get Mack, they have a 3,4,5,and 7. They also played a 4th place schedule. They beat Phoenix, Buffalo and Detroit on the road. The Vikings will have to pay their defensive players next year. The North will be up for grabs next year.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »
The Bears pretty much mortgaged their 2019 draft to get Mack, they have a 3,4,5,and 7. They also played a 4th place schedule. They beat Phoenix, Buffalo and Detroit on the road. The Vikings will have to pay their defensive players next year. The North will be up for grabs next year.

thumbsup)
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »
That is saying the glass is half empty.

But to the Bears, its half full. Because to them, they really do not need very much help. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
That is saying the glass is half empty.

But to the Bears, its half full. Because to them, they really do not need very much help.

Actually, they got a lot of help. Their two biggest divisional opponents imploded. They have had a very good year health-wise, unusual in itself for any team. They also, as noted, had an easier schedule because of their record last year. All of these factors will very probably change next year. So, the defense will remain stout, while the offense will continue to be mediocre. So, they might not feel they need much help, but that kind of thinking leads to stagnation/complacency- similar to the Packers increasing reliance on Rodgers to win games for them led to the present mini-crisis.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2018, 02:09:57 AM »
They need a young TE that can stretch a defense.

They might have him in Robert Tonyan, but they inexplicably won't give him increased chances.

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
The real question is did the broken collar bone in his throwing shoulder do permanent damage?

If his deep ball accuracy issues don't get better next year it's going to be at least 5 years to get back to the Super Bowl.
In other words.....he might never be right and because of the contract we would be screwed for 5 years because of it.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »
I don't agree Ricky.

The Bears have a pretty solid line up all the way around, on defense, at WR, TE, OL. The only question is if Trubisky can improve.   

As per schedule, how anyone can say GB had a touch schedule escapes me.  We simply did not have a tough schedule.

I have never liked using injuries as an out.  Every team has them, its just a matter of degree and depth.  If you don;t have quality depth then that is a failure of vision. 

The Bears have put together a good team.  I give them credit for some good drafting and getting Mack, who really made that defense.

Like I said, I am jet glad they did not get Mahomes.  They would have the makings of a dynasty.