June 26, 2019, 09:58:20 PM

Author Topic: Your Top 5 Positional Priorities (2019 Offseason)...  (Read 3744 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Your Top 5 Positional Priorities (2019 Offseason)...
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
Purely just positional priorities (TOP 5)... What do you think are the most pressing for the 2019 offseason?

1.) Outside Linebacker -
Perennial need for the Packers that has continually been "addressed" by Mid-Late-UDFA types of players.

2.) Offensive Tackle (Right Side) - Playing against Khalil Mack twice per season makes this a big need.

3.) Safety - This position is practically a "bare cupboard". We need a Center-fielder type.

4.) Offensive Guard (Right Side) - As I predicted, the McCray/Bell experiment yielded mediocre results.

5.) Tight End - I would like to see Lewis re-signed and be more active.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:35:40 AM by WTX_Cheese »

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
Re: Your Top 5 Positional Priorities (2019 Offseason)...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
I'd add ILB to the list; we need to find a guy who can cover passes to the middle of the field. It's been a problem for years. Mack Wilson from Alabama would be a good fit and probably available with our Saints pick.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
I have to agree with a playmaking ILB being a priority as well. Chicago drafted Roquan Smith, put him next to Trevathan and it really transformed that Defense. Right now we primarily seem to have a bunch of "role" guys. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
Safety might be their biggest need IMO. While they don't scare you on the edge of the defense, they still have decent options there. We can gripe all we want about their lack of enthusiasm for filling it, but guys like Reggie Gilbert and Kyler Fackrell are NFL players on the edge. I don't believe their intentions were to hope they would turn out to be elite edge guys, but more for them to develop into what they are currently. They'll certainly have their shot at a good edge rusher or Safety with their first pick in the draft. I don't believe Josh Jones is a true Safety, he is much more suited for that hybrid S/LB role.

I'm not sure RT is a glaring need. Bulaga is still one of the best in the league at RT and I'm safe to assume they resign him, but a guy like Spriggs looks much more suited to play Guard at this point. Gotta find an eventual replacement for Bulaga. Someone we're forgetting about is Kyle Murphy, so he could be their guy but overall they need depth at RT and RG. RT might even be a bigger need than edge rusher.

WR is a need for me. They stocked up on big WRs and found a couple good ones. Now they need a guy who can slide into Cobb's spot. Someone like Parris Campbell would be good. Really need to get someone with speed.

For me it's:
1. Safety
2. Edge rusher
3. Right Tackle
4. Wide Receiver
5. Right Guard

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
1. S
2. OLB
3. DT
4. OT
5. TE

No one has mentioned DT.  Daniels will be a FA in 2020.  Have Clark and some JAGS.  Big need IMO and also the strength of the draft.  Either DT or OLB will be the first pick I'd imagine. 

Agree with Grandmaster Clay.  S is by far and away our biggest need.  We have zero there.  We'll need 2 guys.  Hopefully a Vet and a relatively high pick.

Only 5 but would indeed put WR and RB  as needs also just not as critical as the others.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:53:42 PM by scoremore »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
Safety might be their biggest need IMO. While they don't scare you on the edge of the defense, they still have decent options there. We can gripe all we want about their lack of enthusiasm for filling it, but guys like Reggie Gilbert and Kyler Fackrell are NFL players on the edge. I don't believe their intentions were to hope they would turn out to be elite edge guys, but more for them to develop into what they are currently. They'll certainly have their shot at a good edge rusher or Safety with their first pick in the draft. I don't believe Josh Jones is a true Safety, he is much more suited for that hybrid S/LB role.

I'm not sure RT is a glaring need. Bulaga is still one of the best in the league at RT and I'm safe to assume they resign him, but a guy like Spriggs looks much more suited to play Guard at this point. Gotta find an eventual replacement for Bulaga. Someone we're forgetting about is Kyle Murphy, so he could be their guy but overall they need depth at RT and RG. RT might even be a bigger need than edge rusher.

WR is a need for me. They stocked up on big WRs and found a couple good ones. Now they need a guy who can slide into Cobb's spot. Someone like Parris Campbell would be good. Really need to get someone with speed.

For me it's:
1. Safety
2. Edge rusher
3. Right Tackle
4. Wide Receiver
5. Right Guard

Since when is Kyle Murphy back on this team??

He was released along with Rollins and Devante Mays back on Sept. 1st with an injury settlement.

RT is a high need in FA this year, and there are some decent candidates that could hit FA unless their teams sign them before they hit the market.
I may be one of the few that think that Bulaga might become a casualty in the off season.

IMO...........RT and Safety will be addressed early in FA.

The draft will address other stated areas of need, and what they then perceive to still be areas that need some shoring up they can look to the second tier level of FA's.

Don't be surprised if the draft a QB in 2nd/3rd round either.

If Rodgers issues this year continue next year, they need someone that they can get game ready by 2020 or 2021. Rodgers had 3 yrs to develop. This next draft may be the year to address that potential possibility.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
Just an FYI danno, Kyle Murphy was NOT released along with Rollins and Mayes and has been carried on their IR with full salary for the whole season. Reading the tea leaves may lead some to believe that the Packers may have a future plan for him and I would agree that it is not out of the question. It will be interesting to watch that playout.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
Trying to pick draft needs before free agency starts (March 14) is definitely a cart/horse situation. Gutekunst has indicated that the Packers will be players in FA this year. So, what positions will they fill with vets, and which will be left for the draft? And then there is the Cole Madison scenario. And the possibility of guys on the roster "turning the corner" and showing well during TC, similar to what Bakhtiari and Tretter did earlier. I'm ready to put this pitiful season out of its (and my) misery, turn the page, and look forward to some changes that will refresh and return this franchise to their expected place in the forefront of SB contenders again. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:39:38 AM »
Just an FYI danno, Kyle Murphy was NOT released along with Rollins and Mayes and has been carried on their IR with full salary for the whole season. Reading the tea leaves may lead some to believe that the Packers may have a future plan for him and I would agree that it is not out of the question. It will be interesting to watch that playout.

So he is!

I guess this article must have been in error then. If so, then it's my mistake.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/02/packers-releasing-quinten-rollins-kyle-murphy-and-devante-mays-with-injury-settlements/

Three players put on injured reserve during cutdowns Saturday will be waived/injured by the Green Bay Packers.

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers are releasing defensive back Quinten Rollins, offensive tackle Kyle Murphy and running back Devante Mays with injury settlements.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 07:15:07 AM »
First and foremost, we can continue to free up about 20M more in cap space by cutting the following:

Nick Perry
Jimmy Graham
Bryan Bulaga
Tramon Williams
Jason Spriggs

I'm not saying any or all of this will happen, just pointing out some facts. Big changes are needed, and freeing up cap room can really open us up to potentially a fun offseason.

Biggest Needs

1. Pass Rusher - Everyone talked about it all season, Mack would have really made a big difference on defense, while our sack numbers are improved YOY, I feel this is more because of the work Pettine has done as opposed to the talent in our front 7. The last game vs. Chicago, we really didn't hurry Trubisky much at all, Fackrell has I guess been our biggest asset? It is really hard to believe we are sacking the QB as much as we are when you watch the games.

I saw an analysis the other day pointing out that in the first round pass rushers are one of the more successful and easier positions for teams to draft and evaluate in the first (something like that), and we finally have a high pick to hit on one, heck, I'd maybe grab another one with our 2nd first round pick as well.

Whether this player is a LB or DE doesn't so much matter to me as long as they can get to the QB.

2. RG/RT - We spent the money to extend Rodgers, it is time to protect our investment. Right now, you are heading into next season with really only Spriggs and Bulaga on the right side, one can't stay healthy, and the other has yet to really fully develop. The right side of our line has been a problem all year, and i struggle to see Rodgers not getting hurt every year with the continued poor play on that side if we don't address the position. Ultimately, I think you need to both sign a body in free agency, as well as draft your next RG/RT, really unfortunate considering Madison is looking like a sunk cost at this point and was supposed to be one answer.

3. Safety - Huge hole in the back of our defense, you have to sign an impact player in free agency. I'm hoping you sign one of these names, but you also need to cross your fingers none of them gets franchised...

Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu, Earl Thomas, LaMarcus Joyner, Tre Boston

Not sure I want to rely on any drafted rookies to immediately start at safety, maybe Jackson is a player that can fill in? I don't know, to me a veteran presence is needed in our defensive backfield.

4. DT - Our line tired out this year, Clark probably got hurt because of this, all you have next year is Daniels, Clark, and Lowry, need bodies here. Could really use a good run stopping player on the line, we struggled this year to stop the run, of course solving this problem could also be done by adding a ILB.

While I would add another WR in the draft and consider adding a talented TE if one fell to us, I think the right coach can make our talent on offense work, Rodgers, Jones, and Adams are staples, you can probably make this offense work with your surrounding pieces of Allison, MVS, St. Brown, and Kumerow. Tight end is one position assuming we cut Graham you definitely draft a player and sign someone. You look at the Saints offense, Brees, besides having Thomas, Kamara, and Ingram, is also kind of working with a bunch of scraps, and Payton makes it work. With better line play and a new coach, I really think you can quickly turn around this side of the ball.

That being said, adding someone like Golden Tate or a Chris Hogan/Adam Humphries would interest me.

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »
The offensive under performed this year. 5 games with less than 20 points make a losing season every year. We don't need WRs (Lazard was a key pick up and should be a find). Looks like there are some big athletic tackles out there in the draft ( not Thomas types but excellent 2 rounders, think Clifton)

1. Add talent via draft to OL. Grab one of the OTs Adams or the big kid from Wash in round 2. Add a guard later around round 4. Need real infusion here.

2. Draft Noah Fant with the 2nd 1st round pick. Will offer needed athletic talent at this position we have missed since Findley.

3. OLB with 1st pick. Josh Allen is the preferred choice but  trade back a few spots for Sweat if he's gone. Maybe look at Jenks in round 3 or so. Must fix this position as FA won't cut it here.

4. FA Safety with OSU Fuller in 4th round will do wonders for the position. Josh Jackson is not a solution at safety until he can tackle like one.

5. Accrue needed depth on defensive line through other picks in the  draft. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
1. Edge

2. ILB

3. OL

4. Safety

5. RB
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Trying to pick draft needs before free agency starts (March 14) is definitely a cart/horse situation. Gutekunst has indicated that the Packers will be players in FA this year. So, what positions will they fill with vets, and which will be left for the draft? And then there is the Cole Madison scenario. And the possibility of guys on the roster "turning the corner" and showing well during TC, similar to what Bakhtiari and Tretter did earlier. I'm ready to put this pitiful season out of its (and my) misery, turn the page, and look forward to some changes that will refresh and return this franchise to their expected place in the forefront of SB contenders again.

With two games left and the likelihood quality starters are resigned I don't think it's too early. I believe their needs are very clear and will fill one starter position with FA, likely RG and maybe slot WR.

Not interested in hoping/expecting for development from the young players. They need to continue increasing competition at areas of need and positions filled with young players.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »

With two games left and the likelihood quality starters are resigned I don't think it's too early. I believe their needs are very clear and will fill one starter position with FA, likely RG and maybe slot WR.

Not interested in hoping/expecting for development from the young players. They need to continue increasing competition at areas of need and positions filled with young players.

goodpost
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
1 - Edge Rusher.  Matthews and Perry need to move on and be replaced by some young, hungry speed guys that can actually get a sniff of the QB.  Way too much money tied up in those two.

2 - Safety.  With the young corners, a veteran safety is a must to get them organized.

3 - RT - Bulaga has been a rock for years, but his time has passed and he can't stay healthy. 

4 - RG - Byron Bell, Justin McCray or Lucas Patrick are not the answer. 

5 - DL - Daniels and Clark are good, but Lowery and Lancaster are pretty pedestrian and Adams hasn't shown up yet. 

TE was close for me.  It will be interesting to see if Graham comes back.  I think they will give him another shot at it and maybe Tonyan gets a look.