January 18, 2019, 05:31:16 AM

Author Topic: Your Top 5 Positional Priorities (2019 Offseason)...  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Raff

• Starter
Re: Your Top 5 Positional Priorities (2019 Offseason)...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
1.  Left Tackle
2.  Left Guard
3.  Center
4.  Right Guard
5.  Right Tackle

Online packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »
1, offensive line
2, safeties
3. edge rushers
4. punt/kickreturner
5. #2 receiver

Offline footballdad

• Second String
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 02:56:53 AM »
1) Offensive Line
2) Safety
3) Pass Rusher (edge or DE)
4) TE
5) ILB

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 04:14:44 AM »
Given his importance, now Rodgers is in the twilight playing years, he needs solid protection from his line. That is high priority.
There is nothing at safety, so that is priority. If Josh Jackson moves to safety, they still need someone else at Safety and then they need a corner, too.
I expect Matthews is gone. I don't think the Packers can afford the cost of releasing Perry this year) and I also think they want SOMETHING at OLB. Again, it is high priority.
There is nothing at TE for the future beyond Tonyan as a possible future backup. Priority.
The lesser needs include a RB, DL. I don't list ILB and WR, as I want to see how MVS, ESB, Moore, Burks, J.Jones develop, before I commit resources there.

Top five needs: (this assumes the value is there when drafting).
OT.
Not a great year for them. Maybe five guys are viable this year, J.Williams, G.Little, D.Risner, M.Hyatt, M.Scharping.
OLB.
There are more edge guys with talent than OTs this year, but few of them can win with power AND speed. With Bosa gone in the first two picks, I'd probably go J.Allen, C.Ferrell, Z.Allen, J.Polite, M.Sweat in that order. Burns looks too thin for a 3-4 DE (though who knows if that will be the scheme in 2019....) Once they are gone, later picks include C. Winovich, O. Ximenes, T.Lewis, A.Bryant, B.Banogu. My favourite later pick is Charles Omenihu from Texas, a bigger body who could really be something.
Safety.
I'd be looking for a guy capable of playing single high safety, so they have to have the speed for that range. I want a player to take good angles, understand routes and how to attack them and he must be a decent tackler. The only guys I really like that can do that, are Deionte Thompson and  Nasir Adderley. there are other guys, but I don't like them nearly as much for what I want to see in a safety.
TE
As explained above there is nothing here. Graham will almost certainly be around in 2019 (too much cost to dump him). I don't expect Lewis or
Kendricks to be around in 2019 and I expect Graham to be gone before the 2020 season starts. Iowa's 'other' TE, T.J.Hockenson, is my current fave.
OG
The need is high (at RG), but the Packers don't use high picks at this position. I'd expect one of their 4th rounders to be used on a guard. There is a very good chance that the Pack draft a tackle to convert, they have often done that in the past. The Packers must stop the interior of the line collapsing to give Rodgers the space in front of him to step up, escape and buy time.
RB
I really like the combo of Jones and Williams here. They are set in stone for me. They could use another draft pick for a backup to them, but this is my 6th pick, so it doesn't really count in a top five.

Also, competition at kicker and punter is possible, and the late picks could go almost anywhere. I would like a credible return man with a late pick, in fact that might qualify as a top 5 need, I'll have to think about that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:39:58 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 04:38:23 AM »
double post
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:38:56 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:56 AM »
1265 I agree with your needs..

OG  I want a real guard one that can also help in the run game

TE heads on with Hockenson...he's a better blocker than Fant and is just as good recieving. One area he is way better than Fant is character. Fant had run-ins with  Farenzt and was benched for it. Fant could be another A Brown when he gets the "money"

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »
With reference to the guard position, I wanted Shaq Mason (Patriots) who was a free agent but unfortunately he has just signed a multi-year deal with them. Next one on the FA list is 27 year old Quinton Spain (Titans). If I thought the Packers could get just one solid season from the Cardinal's Mike Iupati, I'd roll with him instead, but he may be too much of an injury risk. He was an outstanding player in his day, but his latest injury needing surgery (elbow), means he is likely released by the Cards. The Packers have taken guys like this before, as a short term (1 year) fix.

Offline Uncle Josh

• Rookie
my top five
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
1. EDGE. I want the top guy available in FA who doesn't get tagged. Jadeveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Dante Fowler, Jr., Brian Orakpo spring to mind. This is also my priority in the draft-- I'd go so far as package our two firsts and our second to move up for Josh Allen. The NFL is a passing league, and if you disrupt the QB, everything trickles down.

2. SAFETY. There will be some high-caliber safeties available in FA. I want our rushers to pin their ears back and get after the passer knowing the back-end is secure. I'd sign one of the top FAs at S and draft 1-2, as well. Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Tre Boston, Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrann Mathieu all could be possibilities. Josh Jones future is probably at ILB. There are some nice safeties in the draft, but I want them to have time to develop. Our secondary could be second-to-none with a little infusion at the S position.

3. OL. I'm thinking primarily a starting-caliber RG who can back up Bulaga and Taylor in a pinch. There are several in FA who would fit the bill, Rodger Saffold being one of the top candidates, IMO. I would also address OL in the draft. We need better depth on the outside-- I'd draft competition for Murphy and Spriggs. Our depth is lacking.

4. ILB. Re-signing Matthews at a reasonable price and shifting him inside would be the quickest fix. Going after C.J. Mosley or Denzel Perryman would also be a sure-fire solution. I see Josh Jones' future here if he makes this team. Oren Burks development might take time. Morrison is primarily a run-stuffer. We need pressure from the inside with some coverage ability.

5. DL/RB(tie) While an explosive tailback to complement A. Jones and J. Williams would probably beat out DL as a need-- the strength of this upcoming draft lies on the DL and I want to select one who will start right away and be the heir apparent to Daniels. Double-dipping is not out of the question. There are a ton of quality DL and RB who will be available in this draft.

I'm normally of the penny-pinching ilk as it pertains to FA-- but now is not the time to be cheap. Rodgers' window is closing fast and the quality this year in FA makes the investment well worth it, IMO. Time to spend some cash and get some impact players out of this excellent class of FAs and draft.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
I think that it can be a mistake of placing specific positions in order of priority  I think that it might be better to think of position groups.  Also, this team has enough hole that BPA, for the most part, must be the method.

#1 OL
#2 DL/Edge
#3 Coverage

I specifically refer to this as coverage rather than CB or S.  There are many factors at play as to how this works out.  I would re-sign Breeland.  I would keep Tramon as the Safety position is a serious issue and the CBs are young.  I see him as a stabilizing force.  I would consider moving Jackson to S as he was always better at Zone anyway.

#4 Both ILB and TE
#5 Continue to look for value at RB and WR
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »
1. Pass rush
2. Pass rush
3. O-Line
4. O-Line
5. Whatever

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
I can't get to only 5:
T
OLB
DL
G
S
RB