January 18, 2019, 05:17:27 AM

Author Topic: 1st round favorites  (Read 2300 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: 1st round favorites
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »
The key to a 3-4 is ILB who are fast and can attack the ball carrier after the line eats up the blocks. If you have average to slow ILBs your defense is going to suck. ILB & EDGE position was ignored by TT for years in favor of fixing the backend. The backend wasnt even broken, it just never had a front end that could get home. And the problem persists because they keep ignoring the positions of need.

The Packers are a long, long way from having ignored the ILB position. From 2015 to 2018 the got Ryan (4th), then Martinez (4th), then Josh Jones (hybrid ILB/S, 2nd), then Oren Burks (3rd). This is a substantial investment.

You want Reuben Foster ? He lasted one year with the 49ers. You want Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans, you have to give up Jaire Alexander to do it and have ZERO at CB. It's not that the Packers haven't invested regularly at ILB in recent years, it's that you wanted an elite ILB and the Packers don't want to pay that much for one, just like they don't pay first or second rounders to draft guards.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 12:46:09 PM »
The key to a 3-4 is ILB who are fast and can attack the ball carrier after the line eats up the blocks. If you have average to slow ILBs your defense is going to suck. ILB & EDGE position was ignored by TT for years in favor of fixing the backend. The backend wasnt even broken, it just never had a front end that could get home. And the problem persists because they keep ignoring the positions of need.

The Packers are a long, long way from having ignored the ILB position. From 2015 to 2018 the got Ryan (4th), then Martinez (4th), then Josh Jones (hybrid ILB/S, 2nd), then Oren Burks (3rd). This is a substantial investment.

You want Reuben Foster ? He lasted one year with the 49ers. You want Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans, you have to give up Jaire Alexander to do it and have ZERO at CB. It's not that the Packers haven't invested regularly at ILB in recent years, it's that you wanted an elite ILB and the Packers don't want to pay that much for one, just like they don't pay first or second rounders to draft guards.

Maybe that unwillingness to draft ILB or OG by TT/M3 is why we are having these difficulties..

Show me a team that has a GOOD defense and they will have GOOD ILB ...some even 2

M3 always touted a good running game but he never really used the RB much..He never involved the RB in the passing game but played the better pass blocker...Williams over Jones

They never drafted true OG but OT's because they wanted better pass blockers...….that I think tells me they wanted a passing team

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 07:16:47 PM »

Exactly, you get what you pay for. Sure, you may find the next Teddy Bruschi, but it doesn't happen very often. The top LBs in this league were drafted high and are paid well, because as much as folks want to believe in TTs philosophy that they didnt matter, they are the key piece in the defense.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
I think pretty much any position is up for grabs in the first round with the exception of maybe QB and Center. My gut says we'll take Defense with the first pick and Offense with the second pick. If I'm going to have a "preference", I'm all about PASS RUSH, PASS RUSH, PASS RUSH, whether it's from a Linebacker or the Defensive Line. Second option would be an upgrade at O-Line, preferably a Guard or Tackle.

Offline footballdad

• Second String
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Honestly at #12 I like Devin White. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 04:07:57 PM »
Devin White is a beast at ILB as others have noted.  Pettine's D relies more upon ILB than the Capers led defense.  Pettine's D has always functioned best in the middle of the field when he has a true "chase" ILB that can go sideline to sideline with speed.  I would be interested to know the plan for Burks and if there is an expectation that he can make that jump in year 2.  THAT would be the dream scenario.  I do not think that Ryan will be back as he was slower before the injury and would probably be looking for a multi-year deal, not sure if he can get that right now.

This MUST be an impact draft.  There will available DL/Edge players at both of the top 2 picks.  OL is not a position of strength in this draft.  It would be amazing if GB could find an impact DL/Edge AND fix the OL in the first round and have a draft with a similar impact as NO's draft of a couple years ago. 

At DL/Edge I currently like:
Allen
Polite
Ferrel
Sweat

At OL I like:
Taylor
Little
Williams

GB might rely more on scheme and less on this year's draft for improvement at WR.  I would look for a TE to be drafted as they are difficult to develop, this draft has a few, and GB is probably really looking for that SB run 2-3 years from now which would give time for development.  Safety could definitely be addressed in FA as there are candidates and the market is soft.  There is the possibility for a steal at S.  The other possibilities are moving Jackson (I am curious if there has been talk of this) and I would keep Williams at Safety as he is a versatile veteran.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
Honestly at #12 I like Devin White.

Couldn't agree more
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."