March 24, 2019, 08:02:04 AM

Author Topic: A franchise in shambles...  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
Re: A franchise in shambles...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
Add me to the group who think this looks more like a three-year project than a quick turnaround. New coach, new system, new personnel to fit that system: that's a tall order for one off-season. The graveyard everyone is whistling past: can Rodgers rebound or was this season a sign of decline beginning? Age and injuries catch up with everyone eventually.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
Add me to the group who think this looks more like a three-year project than a quick turnaround. New coach, new system, new personnel to fit that system: that's a tall order for one off-season. The graveyard everyone is whistling past: can Rodgers rebound or was this season a sign of decline beginning? Age and injuries catch up with everyone eventually.

Last year was a soft reboot. I think that they will bring in a system that matches what they have on both offense and defense. A variation of our current system. It didn't take McCarthy long start winning because his system was a variation of the previous ones that was tailored to the talent. McCarthy's last year he was trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with Jimmy Graham and the inexperienced rookie WRs which was the complete opposite ideology from when he came in.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:31:28 AM by Fox_NFLs_GG »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
OK I'll buy in.  We will be in year 2 next year.  Expect the Pack to make the playoffs in 2019.  Year 3 2020 we'll be competing for a championship.  Still a quick turnaround. 

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
OK I'll buy in.  We will be in year 2 next year.  Expect the Pack to make the playoffs in 2019.  Year 3 2020 we'll be competing for a championship.  Still a quick turnaround.

Most of the problem on offense was inexperienced WRs in the system. Adams was the same way until he got a couple of years under his belt. The second part of the problem was depth on the OL. McCarthy didn't adapt for those factors and Rodgers took a pounding for it.

On defense they were pretty decent. Pettine had to deal with way more injuries than an average coordinator would have to deal with. In the end it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either with starting practice squad players and losing his whole defensive line. I would not be opposed to keeping him to see what he could do with a healthier team.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
Odd thing is that the string of losses -- Rams, New England, Vikings 2, Seahawks -- might give the most hope for next year.  Its not hard to imagine that that a healthier, smarter team with an infusion of a bit of talent gets this team back in the playoffs. As a counter point, at this time of the year fans tend to think that free agents are simply there for the picking when you'll have to overpay for quality and you'll have to compete with teams, like Bears, that are going to seem much more attractive to players who want to win now.   

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
Here is a list of teams and how much salary cap they'll have to spend on FA's. This is before cutting players or re-signing anybody whose contract is due. Packers are listed at #17; Bears at #25, Vikes at #30 (thank you, Kirk Cousins; you're the gift that will keep on giving to the rest of the division).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
I have Pittsburgh fans who say Tomlin has gone the way of MM and has lost his team also. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
Well, Antonio Brown wants out.

Love to have him in Green Bay.

I would give up our second number one this year and a number four next year.

Look what Cooper did in Dallas.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:40:00 PM by Gregg »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
Well, Antonio Brown wants out.

Love to have him in Green Bay.

I would give up our second number one this year and a number four next year.

Look what Cooper did in Dallas.

Cooper has put up some good numbers in Dallas. He could have done the same in Oakland if they had a clue. Anyway, here is Brown's contract.

This doesn't include the cost of the aspirin that'll be needed for all the headaches he causes.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown-6702/

Also, thanks Mark. Didn't realize I hadn't provided the link.  facepalm)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:59:05 PM by ricky »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »
You guys think that is a lot of money for a top five WR in the NFL who, next to Cooks, is probably the best deep threat in the league?

Brown is just what we do not have: a guy who can take the top off of coverage.

I imagine cost was the same complaint about Mack.

OK then, let us go back to draft and develop.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »
Well, as far as I can see in FA, no one comes close to Antonio.

There is Moncrief and John Brown, and that is about it for speed WR who can break the long one.

True, they are much cheaper.  But you get what you pay for.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 01:49:03 AM »
From a talent perspective, if Brown could be added for just New Orleans pick it would be a great move. From a team chemistry perspective, who knows? From what I've seen and read regarding Brown, he seems to be a ME guy without really being a blatantly bad guy. If he and Adams could co-exist - being only one ball to go around - we would be talking an offense with a lot of firepower. I may be in the minority here but I think Scantling is going to be a very good receiver down the road. Maybe not an all pro level but a good 60 - 70 catch - 700 - 800 yard guy.
If they were to bring Brown in or someone else to "take the top off" they are going to have to fix the right side of the line. AR will need the additional second or two to get the ball off.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:03 AM »
Disregard previous post. Brown's ego would cause bad things. Talent - YES! Person - NO!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
Well, as far as I can see in FA, no one comes close to Antonio.

There is Moncrief and John Brown, and that is about it for speed WR who can break the long one.

True, they are much cheaper.  But you get what you pay for.

Its not just the cost. Its also the baggage this guy is going to bring with him. He's a diva, a head case, a disruptive influence. Talent is great, as long as it doesn't end up causing more problems than solutions. The only reason he might be available (for some pretty hefty draft capital) is because like Bell, he has worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh. I understand the upside. But do you see the glaring pitfalls that Brown would bring to the Packers? Not maybe, but would.