June 16, 2019, 05:57:12 AM

Author Topic: A franchise in shambles...  (Read 4470 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: A franchise in shambles...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »
No to Brown, great talent, but you dont win Super Bowls with diva WRs.    TO, Ocho Cinco, Beckham, Brown.  Lotta talent with 0 rings.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »
No to Brown, great talent, but you dont win Super Bowls with diva WRs.    TO, Ocho Cinco, Beckham, Brown.  Lotta talent with 0 rings.

Remember the term Packer People. That is why Montgomery was sent out of town on a rail. Brown is in the same boat.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 05:18:31 AM »

Agree, don’t need to deal with a head case.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 06:13:58 AM »
The Packers have Adams as a #1, they have talent developing for #2' in MVS and ESB, with ESB showing the most development through the whole season.
(MVS got off to a fast start but then faded........but he could take a big step next year as well)

They also have steady possession type WR's in Allison and Kumerow.

What's missing is a productive slot receiver to replace Cobb.

I suggest making a play in free agency for Golden Tate. He's shifty and quick.......not fast with long speed...........savy, fiesty veteran. He will be a chain mover and a player who can get YAC.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
I am going to try to respond to several posters at once here:

Yes, the old adage is states that it is better to move on from a player a year early rather than a year late.  However, one must consider where that person is in their contract.  Bulaga is in the last year of his deal and is a relative bargain at his position.  When he plays, and I know that is a large condition, he forms half of one of the two best blocking tandems at tackle in the league.  RTs are not readily available on the market AND this is a weak draft at tackle.  Furthermore, there are too many holes to fill to move on from him.

As to Mike Daniels, I personally would be shocked if he was released.  This team needs more players - not fewer.  More dogs - not fewer.  He helped free up other players when he played.  Production elsewhere dropped off when he was injured.  People have posted about a lack of effort and no one can ever say that about Daniels either.

I am not sure that GB looks outside the organization for a WR.  We have heard the term "chemistry" so many times in regards to AR and his WRs.  I am afraid that a FA WR would stunt the development of the players already on the roster while not providing that much production in return.  AR will always have the second stage of any play that is called and this is especially where it is important to have WRs that have a rapport with him.  There are multiple WRs that can play in the slot already on the roster.  Furthermore, there are so many holes on this roster that need to be filled elsewhere.  I just do not see a veteran starter being added to the mix.  I think that this is also addressed in the draft.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »
Situational players are easy to get.

But we're two playmakers away from contending.

JJ Watt could have been one of them.

The good news is our 1sts are now worth more than Chicago's. Especially since they don't got none.

Packers never had a shot at JJ Watt because they had just won the Superbowl and had the last pick. Watt was the 11th pick that year... did you mean his brother TJ Watt?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:40 PM »
A new coach may require a different approach to drafting. IF its McDaniels, in New England, guards may be a huge part of what they do.  Gute will make the final draft call, but it may be  a different draft approach than what we have done in the past.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:27:08 PM by The GM »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
Yeah, tj. I have trouble keeping this stuff straight.

Many here wanted tj. Many. I don't really have draft opinions, but in retrospect Thompson really screwed the pooch on this one. He preaches let the draft come to you. Well, it did, but he was busy phoning in his Pizza order.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:37:02 PM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
Not really in shambles, but they will have to live down some of their questionable decisions over the last 4 years.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 03:19:48 PM »
Not really in shambles, but they will have to live down some of their questionable decisions over the last 4 years.

Is it just me, or did TT become worse at the draft after he had his health issue? What it was is debatable, but it does seem he had some sort of stroke that impaired his speaking ability, and may have led to his ignoring others while going with his instincts. Worked well with Jennings and Collins, both guys from smaller progrems, and under the radar type picks. Even going for Nelson with the second pick was unexpected, but paid big dividends. Then after the health issue, the drafts became odder.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
An autopsy on the Packers problems by PFF TV. About nine minutes long. Some of the same stuff we've been reading by other posters, but also some "outside opinions" from a more disinterested perspective. Worth a watch, though these guys are very, very low energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSnIFdsl7g
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
Yeah, tj. I have trouble keeping this stuff straight.

Many here wanted tj. Many. I don't really have draft opinions, but in retrospect Thompson really screwed the pooch on this one. He preaches let the draft come to you. Well, it did, but he was busy phoning in his Pizza order.

2 things especially disappoint in regards to TJ.

First, the other minds in the room wanted him.

Second, I believe that he is just scratching the surface as he has had poor positional coaching in PIT.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
First, the other minds in the room wanted him....

66, I've never heard that before.  Did you read this, or get that from some inside 3rd hand sources? 

I'm interested, because I've always wondered how much Gute and TT were in sync on things.  I've usually assumed that with Gute being TT's primary #1 advisor, that Gute probably deserves a lot of blame for a lot of the unsuccessful selections that the Packers made in the years prior to Gute's hiring.  So, I've kinda wondered whether Gute doesn't deserve responsibility for a lot of the picks that have failed, and that we shouldn't expect the drafting to improve a whole lot?  But *IF* TT was making picks that differed from what the "other minds in the room" actually wanted, then Gute might be less to blame for some of the dud picks. 

Of course, he can't pass-the blame much on Josh Jackson, Burks, Moore, or Cole Madison in rounds 2-3-4-5 this year, none of which have looked too hot this rookie season....

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:21 PM »

66, I've never heard that before.  Did you read this, or get that from some inside 3rd hand sources? 

I'm interested, because I've always wondered how much Gute and TT were in sync on things.  I've usually assumed that with Gute being TT's primary #1 advisor, that Gute probably deserves a lot of blame for a lot of the unsuccessful selections that the Packers made in the years prior to Gute's hiring.  So, I've kinda wondered whether Gute doesn't deserve responsibility for a lot of the picks that have failed, and that we shouldn't expect the drafting to improve a whole lot?  But *IF* TT was making picks that differed from what the "other minds in the room" actually wanted, then Gute might be less to blame for some of the dud picks. 

Of course, he can't pass-the blame much on Josh Jackson, Burks, Moore, or Cole Madison in rounds 2-3-4-5 this year, none of which have looked too hot this rookie season....

Agree craig, I've never heard a whisper that others in the war room were divided. They spend the whole year as a team putting together their draft board and it is a team effort and they follow it religiously. TT going rogue is about as far from the truth as someone can get.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »

Bill Michaels has spoken about it many times.  I think that Mike Clemons was the one that initially reported it but I could be completely wrong on that.  Michaels has brought it up numerous times.  Apparently, the trade back was a stunner for the majority of the room.  They had no idea that it was going to happen and they did not support it.  The scouts wanted TJ.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:51:42 PM by #66 »