January 18, 2019, 06:27:23 AM

Author Topic: Good article on the Packers.  (Read 888 times)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Good article on the Packers.
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
It is obvious to most what should have been done with Rodgers playing status, and moves in the personnel department. Here is another writer with good points about it all.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813157-aaron-rodgers-concussion-is-rock-bottom-for-the-2018-green-bay-packers
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online MO.Pack

• HOF Member
Re: Good article on the Packers.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
It is obvious to most what should have been done with Rodgers playing status, and moves in the personnel department. Here is another writer with good points about it all.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813157-aaron-rodgers-concussion-is-rock-bottom-for-the-2018-green-bay-packers

I sure would like to be a fly on the wall in the next board of directors meeting.  To play Rodgers these last two games was obviously the wrong decision yet the President and GM decided not to act which was not in the best interest of the team.  Unfortunately I feel we can expect more of these wrong decisions in the future from the top brass which does not look bright for the future of the franchise. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »
Everyone has an opinion. Should Rodgers have been benched? Absolutely. But to call the team a "dumpster fire" is hyperbole. It is a reaction borne out of frustration and anger over another lost season. But to declare that, effectively, the Packers are the Browns of the last few years, or that the team has reverted to the dismal era of the '70's/80's (not explicitly stated, but definitely the general tone of the rant) is nonsense. The team still does have an excellent QB. Could they have surrounded him with better weapons? Sure- but only at the expense of the defense. And they did try to fix that side of the team- not very successfully, but they did try. And wouldn't it be fun to reargue that issue yet again?

Bottom line: this team still has a very strong core of excellent players. They have some younger players who are developing. The team also has a new GM who seems willing to at least try to utilize free agency. Add a reliable safety and, if possible, an edge rusher or LB in FA, and draft wisely for OL, and suddenly this team is back on track. Get an OC who can maximize the weapons the team already possesses, and have a bit of better health, and we'll be back to our usual unhappy with only winning by ten points selves again next year. Remember, last year the Bears went 5-11. Theh only constant in the NFL is change. Any bets that Cousins gets better for Minny next year? Or that the Bears stay as healthy as they did this year? This season was an aberration, not a template for the future.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
 Where are all the young and upcoming players? On defense, Clark, Alexander and King when healthy, maybe Fackrell. The rest of the players need a lot of work. There's no pass rushers at all. Martinez is not a great linebacker. On offense, there's Adams, Bakhtiari, Linsley, Jones and maybe MVS and St Brown. Face it, this team is short on talent. It gets old to keep making excuses for how bad this team really is. Yes, a great draft, not just a good draft, like the 2017 NO draft, and at least 2-3 FA's, that will make a difference.

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
Where are all the young and upcoming players? On defense, Clark, Alexander and King when healthy, maybe Fackrell. The rest of the players need a lot of work. There's no pass rushers at all. Martinez is not a great linebacker. On offense, there's Adams, Bakhtiari, Linsley, Jones and maybe MVS and St Brown. Face it, this team is short on talent. It gets old to keep making excuses for how bad this team really is. Yes, a great draft, not just a good draft, like the 2017 NO draft, and at least 2-3 FA's, that will make a difference.

+1....This roster might have less talent than the one Ted Thompsen inherited. Zero depth and no difference makers besides Adams. And while ARod is still pretty good he is not the ARod of old and will likely continue to decline.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
I think this team can be fixed. And quickly. But is the office willing to do it? They have frequently placed more stock in piling middle and late round draft picks than taking impact players at their turn in the draft. They focus far too much on versatility and "solid" players, instead of guys who can make an impact. Granted, not every player on the roster is an all star, but they should try and get guys with that potential when they present themselves.

The focus should be on two things, a severe upgrade on the offensive line, and getting one difference maker at each level of the defense. The offensive line part could be tough, but the defensive part shouldnt be that bad. We already have a couple pro bowl calibur DL, we have one very promising CB. So we really need an Edge rusher who can make a difference, and ILB who people have to respect, and a safety that takes away the deep ball.

Edge can be had in the draft if we dedicate the first pick to it. A lot of edge guys coming out and they look good.

The ILB is a question mark. Haven't seen a ton if guys being touted during the draft process as studs. I still am sad we passed on Jaylon Smith. He had to recoup from injury, but he was in the running as the #1 overall pick that year. And has been a solid guy in the middle for Dallas. My thought is keeping clay and putting him next to Martinez. His productivity was better and undeniable when he was in the middle.

Safety could be a FA splash with some draft picks to groom. Same as the OL position.

They have work to do, but it can be done. It's going to start with the coaching search. Reports saying they want a guy with experience is scary, because we may get a retread who wasnt able to make it work at a place that they were given lots of resources. They cant play the "good ol boys" game and expect to see much of a change.

"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:09:00 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 01:40:15 AM »
Another good article

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/12/30/18162023/aaron-rodgers-injured-packers-front-office-should-step-in

That's a great article too. The preseason is a better time to play starters. At least it's working on chemistry and being in sync for the season. This was just risk with no reward.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
I think this team can be fixed. And quickly. But is the office willing to do it? They have frequently placed more stock in piling middle and late round draft picks than taking impact players at their turn in the draft. They focus far too much on versatility and "solid" players, instead of guys who can make an impact. Granted, not every player on the roster is an all star, but they should try and get guys with that potential when they present themselves.

The focus should be on two things, a severe upgrade on the offensive line, and getting one difference maker at each level of the defense. The offensive line part could be tough, but the defensive part shouldnt be that bad. We already have a couple pro bowl calibur DL, we have one very promising CB. So we really need an Edge rusher who can make a difference, and ILB who people have to respect, and a safety that takes away the deep ball.

Edge can be had in the draft if we dedicate the first pick to it. A lot of edge guys coming out and they look good.

The ILB is a question mark. Haven't seen a ton if guys being touted during the draft process as studs. I still am sad we passed on Jaylon Smith. He had to recoup from injury, but he was in the running as the #1 overall pick that year. And has been a solid guy in the middle for Dallas. My thought is keeping clay and putting him next to Martinez. His productivity was better and undeniable when he was in the middle.

Safety could be a FA splash with some draft picks to groom. Same as the OL position.

They have work to do, but it can be done. It's going to start with the coaching search. Reports saying they want a guy with experience is scary, because we may get a retread who wasnt able to make it work at a place that they were given lots of resources. They cant play the "good ol boys" game and expect to see much of a change.

The three FA's I'd like to see GB go after are RT-Bobby Massie (CHI), S-Tyrann Mathieu (HOU), and TE-Jared Cook (OAK).
Draft OG Chris Lindstrom/Boston College with the New Orleans pick to put alongside veteran Massie and you've solved the puzzle for the right side of the OL.

Mathieu brings veteran leadership and swag to the back end, and has been a playmaker.

Cook never should have gotten away from GB in the first place. All attempts to replace his production have failed, and they've spent way more on Bennett and Graham than it ever would have cost to keep Cook.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »
Good articles. The question remains: who is running the team? They seem to let this season run on auto pilot without anyone (aside from the talk of Rodgers) being in charge. Is it a defect of the front office structure or the personalities involved?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
Good articles. The question remains: who is running the team? They seem to let this season run on auto pilot without anyone (aside from the talk of Rodgers) being in charge. Is it a defect of the front office structure or the personalities involved?

Very true. There does seem to be a vacuum in leadership at 1265. Who hires the new coach? Gutekunst, Gute/Murphy, Murphy/Executive Board? All three? Who makes the final decision? Where does the buck stop? Philbin, being a player's coach and wanting to win games to bolster his chances of being retained, of course he plays Rodgers and the others. So, why didn't someone step in and put those guys on IR for the final two or three games? Vacuum of leadership. Or is everyone that afraid of Rodgers? Which is the scariest thought of all.

Here is an article that pretty well sums up the failures of Murphy. Perhaps a new exec in this position would help right the ship more quickly:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/and-thats-a-wrap-119
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:28:11 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
If GB had the same year they just had AND AR had not had his contract extended last year, I cannot fathom the chaos, angst and added uncertainty that would be roiling around.

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »
 The new coach is going to have to deal with Rodgers. He needs to play within a system, with improvisation, not improvisation as the system. Here's a good article that compares the 2018 season to the 2005 season, which was Sherman's last year and Favre had thrown 29 ints.https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/12/30/dougherty-quick-turnaround-needed-packers-next-coach/2410369002/

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
Dougherty undersells how banged up the team was in 2005. They were playing street free agents like Gado just to field a team. Driver was the only other skill position player to start more than 8 games that year. Favre was given free rein to chuck it and hope for a miracle because they had no chance of winning without miracles that year. Didn't really matter if they lost by 10 with no INTs or by 20 with 1 or 2 INTs each week.

Offline GreenAndGoldLenses

• Second String
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 06:30:33 AM »

The three FA's I'd like to see GB go after are RT-Bobby Massie (CHI), S-Tyrann Mathieu (HOU), and TE-Jared Cook (OAK).
Draft OG Chris Lindstrom/Boston College with the New Orleans pick to put alongside veteran Massie and you've solved the puzzle for the right side of the OL.

Mathieu brings veteran leadership and swag to the back end, and has been a playmaker.

Cook never should have gotten away from GB in the first place. All attempts to replace his production have failed, and they've spent way more on Bennett and Graham than it ever would have cost to keep Cook.

Jimmy Graham isn't going anywhere with his contract, so it's doubtful GB goes after another high-end TE in FA.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. (Confucius)